Sad news about a Trainzer.

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
With great sadness and much regret I have to tell the Trainz world that Vinnybarb , in real life, Herbert Hohenburger, lost his battle with cancer today.

He was diagnosed with the disease some years back and has been fighting an uphill battle ever since. He was in considerable pain towards the end so I feel that, to him, death came as a welcome release.

He was a loyal and very active Trainzer, and a very good friend of mine. I will miss him.

Rest in peace, Herbert, we will all miss you.

Peter

Last edited:
Rest in Peace VB and my condolence's to the family, VB gave me a lot of help over the year's and i'm glad he is finally at peace as now and then he mentioned the pain and i doubt it is sum-thing i could of handled as well as he did.
Mick.

Very distressing news, but thanks for passing it on Peter.

Herbert became a friend of mine too. We spent many hours on the phone talking about 3D models, Trainz, life in general and his curious addiction to "The Bold and the Beautiful". He was an exceedingly generous chap, sent me tons of books about modelling and lots of valuable software, all gratis. I was amazed at how brave and composed he was when it came to talking about his cancer. I definitely "lost it" many more times than he did during those conversations...

Rest in peace Herbert, my condolences to his family and friends.

Thanks for letting us know Peter.

Bill.

That will leave a huge vacuum in the Trainz community. I admired Herb for his model making skills, knowledge and his unfailing determination to speak his mind to N3V when he felt the need.

I can imagine him rattling the gates of Heaven demanding to be let in. :)

Thankyou for letting us now Peter. It's always sad when we lose a Trainzer particularly one as well known as VinnyBarb.

May he rest in peace - I'd also like to pass on my condolences to those left behind.

Shane

That will leave a huge vacuum in the Trainz community. I admired Herb for his model making skills, knowledge and his unfailing determination to speak his mind to N3V when he felt the need.

I can imagine him rattling the gates of Heaven demanding to be let in. :)

LOL He certainly had no problem in speaking his mind good old VB, Sounds like he was good friend's with quite a few Trainzer's here reading sum of these post's so i am sorry for the loss of such a good mate to those affected, I did not know him as well as sum in here but it's kind of put a dent in my day. Hopefully in awhile when sum-one feel's it is time a small Memorial will be made to remember VB like so many other Trainzer's we have lost.
Mick.

Sad news indeed. Vinny was one of this forum's more colorful characters, never mincing his words nor leaving in doubt what was on his mind. He will be missed.

RIP VinnyBarb, we have lost one of the communities stalwarts, he will be greatly missed by many.

Last edited:
Thank you Peter for informing us of this sad news.
There are a lot of people on this Forum who are really going to miss dear Vinibarb. It's always sad to hear of the loss of someone who'd been so passionate about his hobby as he was. Over the years, he has contributed so much to the trainz community. His modelling work will live on for future generations to enjoy.
To his family and friends, please accept my condolences. RIP Herb.

Roy

My condolences to his family and all of his friends. I did not know him personally but have a lot of his great creations loaded. It is always sad to hear of the passing of one of Tranz family.

Carl

Back