What companies USED to serve your station?(Possible LARGE images)

SuperSpeedMaglev

Wonderfully Old Fashioned
An alternative to the 'What is your local station' thread.

I discovered that The Great Western Railway used to serve my station. I've discovered in 1967, BR Western Region served the station. Nowadays, it's served by Arriva Train Wales, London Midland and Virgin Trains.
Wellington_(Salop)_station_geograph-2475411-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

rs-wellington-station1.jpg

Last edited:
I live in New York, therefore I live near Grand Central Station, the New York Central Railroad use the service Grand Central Station. Penn station is also nearby the Pennsylvania Railroad used to service that station.

Current day Grand central...

Grand_Central_Station_Main_Concourse_Jan_2006.jpg

...grand central under NYC (New York Central) control

article-2270927-1742400F000005DC-592_964x763.jpg

Penn station currently...

New_York_City_-_Pennsylvania_Station.jpg

And when it was under PRR control...

PRR+train+GG1+at+Penn+Station+NYC.jpg

Last edited:
Note:please note your station/s. :p
Providing any images you show have the company name clear in the shot, you do not need to note the company/s. :)

Though optional, images, if available, would be nice. :)

Last edited:
My local stations were served by the Boston & Maine Railroad (B&M).

In Boston the two terminals were served by the B&M on the north side at North Station with visits from the Canadian National (CNR) and Central Vermont.

On the south side was South Station and Back Bay, which served the Boston and Albany (New York Central), and New York New Haven and Hartford (New Haven).

JOhn

Close to me is the historic T&P Station in Fort Worth, Texas.
Texas%26PacificStation1.jpg

It was used by the Texas and Pacific Railroad and the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy until 1967, when the railroads vacated the station. It was unused until 1999, when the Trinity Rail Express restored it to its former glory.

1024px-Tpbuilding6.JPG

I'm so jealous :O I mean don't get me wrong, British stations are classy but that makes me jealous all over! It feels like a hotel almost..

Illinois Central served both stations here - we technically have 3 of them here in Champaign. Newest one was built in the last 10 years, so it's all Amtrak.

First station:
1898+Station+from+NE,+facing+SW,+May,+1903,+Kalmbach+Library.jpg

Second station:
The%20IC%20at%20ChampaignIll_June82-2a.jpg

Cheers,
SM

I don't know about you, but that plaform reminds me of a modern day UK Platform, ignoring the building next to it of course. :hehe:

I live in on of the towns outside of Trenton, NJ so Trenton would have to be my station. The original Station opened 1863 and was rebuilt 1893, 1976 and in 2008 where it is now Trenton Transit Center. But out of technicality, I live closest to Hamilton Station on the Northeast Corridor but that was made in 1999.
NJ-trenton_station.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

nj035_1.jpg

Last edited:
My local station was not built until BR times but the line was originally North British then London North Eastern now Scotrail.

Hey SuperSpeed Maglev. It is a bit sad that over there your great passenger days are so much history and educed so we are fortunate to have a well supported system that keeps going up in passenger numbers. Years ago I visited America and travelled on the NYC to DC and the thing that I noticed (being a railway fan of course) was at one big station we stopped at and most platforms were empty and unused which I found touching. A long time back here I mentioned that on that visit I had met a couple waiting at DC for my train and ived in philly. We got on well and said if i was coiming back they would like me to visit them for a couple of days and i did. Joe was the retired editor of the PRR inhous magazine. Many years before that i was given the Assoc of American Railroads annual book and had a mid-fifties date on it. Really thick and almost 3 inches giving every railway in America but also Canada, Mexico and pre-Revolution Cuba. Joe's name was listed in the Penn section. Did t one time consider that maybe someone over the pond would be a better home for the crammed book. Listed the giants right down to the small railways of only a few miles. A real bit of US rail history in a sense. One regular from the States thought I should keep it although I oft do wonder if it should be with someone who would value it. Not that i don't as it is a large and brilliant example of what once was.

If you visited here you would get even more envious! :D

My home station is Ann Arbor. There were two stations in town (neither are used by Amtrak...)

The one that is next door to the current Type 50 Amtrak Standard Station is the Michigan Central Railroad/NYC, here it is in it's hayday. It's now a resturaunt.
N012_0847_001.jpg

The other station was for the Ann Arbor Railroad.
aarr_300.jpg

peter

There are 3 different old stations in my area. They all used to be served by UP's City of Portland, then the Portland Rose. I think there was no passenger service from 1971 to 1977/79, when the Amtrak Pioneer began operations. However, in 1997, due to budget cuts, the Pioneer was discontinued, and south Idaho hasn't seen passenger service ever since.

Sorry for my own thread bump but if anyone wants to comment on this, go ahead!

Noticed this faded away, so bringing it back up! :)

I somehow missed this thread before. I loved your opening pictures of Wellington, Supermaglev. I spent many happy hours working trains over your way. Unfortunately, Wellington is a mere shadow of what it was - indeed so are most other places these days despite the alleged upturn in passenger numbers.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you very much Cyber. :D ;)

Yes, sadly Wellington is a mere shadow of what it used to be. :( You can see the once yard in most photographs. :(

Note:Long since posting this thread I've found 29+ Photographs of Wellington, as it used to be. :D :) ;)

Keywords on a Google Image search include Wellington Salop Station, Shropshire Wellington Salop Station, etc.

I've even found a video of it on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdZgAco2hmk

:) ;) :D

Great video - if a little before my time - though only the remnants of both branch lines remained when I worked through there. There was also a link to Madeley Junction and down to the Severn Valley from the Birmingham end. It was one arm of a very large sort of triangle. It was still in situ when I learnt the road to Shrewsbury but I don't know of anything that used to use it. In my days at Saltley MPD, we used to go down to Ironbridge (Buildwas) Power Station that was built alongside the old Severn Valley trackbed. We would get down there via the other arm of the line at Madeley Junction. That was my first ever experience of using a "Token Machine" for the sigle line section. Ah memories eh?

Dave

I quite like this thread. May I suggest all entries come with pictures? Makes it so much more interesting to see railway history from all over the world.

I live about 20 minutes drive from Tanjong Pagar which until July 1, 2011 was served my Malayan Railways and the southernmost point of rail in the entire South East Asian Continent excluding the Indonesian archipelago. From this humble 2-platform Victorian affair you could begin your journey by rail through Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and possibly China to the rest of North and East Asia. Today it sits quiet and closed except for the occasional artsy event or marathon start/end point along the rail trail.

4742750658_6f7b906393_b.jpg

h4e0omnhi84gug1b.jpg

20150902_ST_tprs.jpg

P1040880_1.jpg

hrailway435345e_2x.jpg

About 20 minutes in the other direction is the Bukit Timah station which literally translates to Tin Hill even though the only natural resource ever mined here was granite in the 1900s. It's the only passing loop on this line and up until its closure saw use of the classic British token system. The siding here was used to load and unload race horses.

sitting-railway.jpg

switch.jpg

signals.jpg

You'll note some blacked out signals along a diverging line on the left. That was the relatively short-lived Jurong Port branchline built in the 1960s and closed in 1990s as the road network improved and trucks took over.

Last edited:
Back