A possible unwanted "upgrade" to Windows 10

...However, I am pleased that you consider yourself so much above me and millions of others in your computer status...
Really? I didn't think that I was being condescending, but I would like you to show me some of my applications running successfully in Win 10. I, for one, am struggling to keep several U.S. Government systems running because no newer Windows Operating Systems can, and never will support critical hardware and software applications that were hosted in XP.

Last edited:
I am treading on the side of caution with regard to Widows 10. So many times I have seen on the forum cries for help when an update to a new OS coincides with a new version of Trainz. Everything goes pear-shaped so where to start looking for a fix? Is it the OS playing hard to get or the new Trainz with a bug or three.?.

My windows 7 is chugging along quite well and when Tane gets on to a more stable level I will maybe look at at windows 10 again. I am not going to put red ants in with the black ones just yet.

Doug

Hello everyone

Glad to see everyone. I'm curious as to why some here don't want windows 10 because I was just about to update mine. Mainly because the free update is supposed to expire soon as its only good for a year from the time it was released which I'm not sure when that is. My wife updated hers about 2 months ago and has had no problems at all and she runs office or excel one of the 2 all of the time with no problems and her desk top looks just like windows 7. So I'm just wondering if I should update or not. I'm not being bugged by Microsoft about it the way my wife was for some reason and my auto updates are turned on too.

I think in some cases, at least for me it's not that we don't want it, we just want it when we decide to take it, not when MS thinks we should have it. They way they have aggressively foisted on us is very offensive in my opinion.

I am not an early adopter type. I tend to wait a long time before changing things unless there is a very compelling need to do so. With operating systems I usually do not change until I get a new computer. That is pretty much my plan for Windows 10. Now it just happens that I am planning I'm getting a new computer within the next few weeks so that point is moot. Otherwise I would keep using Windows 7 as long as it was getting security support. It works perfectly fine for me and meets my needs.

Last edited:
Free download expires 29th July 2016, one year after release - at least, I understand that this is so here in the UK. But check!

Thanks for the additional information since this morning.

Ray

I think in some cases, at least for me it's not that we don't want it, we just want it when we decide to take it, not when MS thinks we should have it. They way they have aggressively foisted on us is very offensive in my opinion.

That's how I feel about content that has been 'upgraded' to work in trainz versions above what I have, that has broken routes in the
versions they were made for, that some of us still run, but now show faulty because the content has been incremented, instead of being
given a different kuid number., for a different trainz build.

The latest emination of this is, new routes built for T:ane, if built in T:ane deluxe, are totally bloody useless for those (like me) that only
have T:ane Std, because they contain assets that are built in on the deluxe, but not available to Std.

Tory all over that is, I'm alright jack, I can afford the top, bugger the poor sod who can only afford the basic.

If you ain't got the drift by now, here it is in plain English .......................

I'M PISSED OFF WITH THE CAPITALIST "I'VE GOT MONEY TO THROW AT IT" ATTITUDE OF A LOT ON THIS FORUM, PLUS N3V's MONEY GRABBING.

Last edited:
Other than your somewhat puzzling rant over how other people choose to spend their money I pretty much agree with you on the forced deprecation concerning previous versions that is taking place.

Hi everybody.
Really? I didn't think that I was being condescending, but I would like you to show me some of my applications running successfully in Win 10. I, for one, am struggling to keep several U.S. Government systems running because no newer Windows Operating Systems can, and never will support critical hardware and software applications that were hosted in XP.
cressjl,many thanks for your enquiry regarding my posting at #29 of this thread. I obviously cannot comment on what government system(s) you may be running and accept that government systems can be “ baffling” at the best of times having some experience with the Government Health and Safety Executive system here in the UK.

in regards to comparing Google Android and Apple iOS with the Microsoft Windows system and applications, then I think you have to stand back and take a wide view of the market these companies are addressing. Until approximately 2007 we all had to accept what Microsoft put in front of us as there was little else with the exception of Apple Mac.

However, as history will always record Steve Jobs of Apple followed by Larry Page and Surgey Brin of Google realised potential of light weight mobile devices and brought forward the first smartphones into a new market. Microsoft decided to ignore that market it seemed, feeling financially secure within its dominance of the business community by way of the static PC and heavy laptops the latter which it viewed as mobile devices (LOL).

In the above the great division was born with Google and Apple bringing lightweight gaming to their devices and later embracing further new innovation such as Facebook and Twitter. I would be the first to agree that Facebook and Twitter are not everybody's “idea of Heaven”. The foregoing stated, mobile gaming, Facebook and Twitter have given millions around the world exactly what they want from computer technology and in the process it has made Google the most successful commercial Enterprise on this earth.

It has to be faced that Microsoft did not even see the above technology revolution coming until it was too late. Not only have they completely lost out in the smartphone market with a sales penetration of less than 1%, but mobile technology has now eaten into their business core market by way of applications within Google Drive and the Apple equivalent. To be fair Satya Nadella the new Microsoft corporation chief executive has started the long fight back with the release of the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet which has been well received by the targeted business community.

However, it has to be asked who is really giving the world what it requires by way computer technology. Is it Google and apple through their lightweight mobile devices or Microsoft by way of its static PC and laptops. In terms of gaming the present division is around 50/50 but as mobile devices become ever more powerful that market is growing at around 15% per year.

In terms of non-gaming serious applications, then that to is moving in the direction of the mobile market with even Microsoft advising that they are “glimpsing” the eventual end of the PC. It may well be that PC gaming may live on at the high end of the market but only if that market remains large enough in its own right to support development of the graphics cards etc so necessary for its continued development.

Mobile gaming may not be “everyone's cup of tea” especially on this forum. However it has come from nowhere to take 50% of the market in the last four years. Therefore cressjl, and with the greatest of respect I will leave it to you and other forum members to decide who is now supplying the world with the computer technology and applications that people really require and want.

Bill

Last edited:
OK everyone thanks for the input. Now I have another question from you computer wizards. Can windows 7 communicate with 10 via the home group because my wife and I share the same printer as well as transfer files between our computers and I tried to use her printer last night and mine said access denied. I did set hers up in home group giving it the password and all but then her home group wizard wouldn't finish because it said it couldn't see another computer on the system. So I know that 7 cannot communicate with XP. Is it the same for 7 to 10?

It seems that the final date for free W10 is 28 July 2016, not 29. This is because the offer expires one year after the launch date, 29 July 2015. And it is free to current users of 7, 8 and 8.1 only - not XP. Source: askvg.com

Ray

Last edited:
Win 8 and Win 10 can communicate via the Home Group so I would expect that Win 7 and Win 10 can also communicate the same way.

This works quite well.

To setup shares, you need to click on sharing, then advanced share. It's the same on Windows 10 as it is on Windows 7 and Windows 8.x. I have about 6 or 7 computers on my network running everything from Windows 7 to Windows 10, Linux, and Solaris, and everything that has a Windows-type (SMB data) share is seen on the network and can be connected to without problem.

John

OK everyone thanks for the input. Now I have another question from you computer wizards. Can windows 7 communicate with 10 via the home group because my wife and I share the same printer as well as transfer files between our computers and I tried to use her printer last night and mine said access denied. I did set hers up in home group giving it the password and all but then her home group wizard wouldn't finish because it said it couldn't see another computer on the system. So I know that 7 cannot communicate with XP. Is it the same for 7 to 10?
If you were setting these all up in the same workgroup, with matching Username and Passwords, you would be able to connect XP with Windows 10, easily. Homegroup is a newer way of doing things, Home Server 2011 likes to play with it for backing up each computer, as well.

Ok thanks everybody I'm going to work on it some more, to see if I can get them to tack to each other LOL.

A little while later: I got it fixed by changing the pass word.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back