Asking for help on AssetX procedures?

blueodessey

I've been busy trying to fix Asset error's, etc, using Pev's Image program. However, i just installed AssetX program and it is overwhelming to me, but I would like to slowly learn how fix scripts in Assets first, and Dependency errors. I'm using TS12, under Win10 under a Hp Envy(see below in signature). Please steer me where i can how to guides, and or your personal sharing how to use program.

Also if this is posted in wrong forum, please advise where to post?

Wishing a blessed Friday.

Respectfully yours,
Blue

Thank you Shane, Started reading this afternoon.

A ques I meant to post with my first msg here, Do I want to download Notepad++ to work with AssetX?

AssetX under Scripts menu, I see a File that says "Take Out The Garbage" with 5 powerful looking subscripts, Empty Obsoletes, Empty Containers, Etc, I take it one should use this very carefully, and have my User Folders backed up? Looks like it part of the Tardes Scripts I downloaded to AssetsX after installation, any comments are welcome.

Thanks

AssetX is a complex program and very powerful. It incorporates some of PEV's code to display images and mesh files but can be used in conjunction with some of PEV's other programs. You can find those on Shane's website - see his post for the link.

Shane is spot on - you need to read through the manual to maximise AssetX use.

The scripts you see in the AssetX scripts folders are not the same as Trainzscript. They are a macro language to use features within AssetX in conjunction with TrainzUtil. The TARDIS toolset uses AssetX scripts to fix assets.

Notepad++ is a freed and useful tool for editing Trainzscript and AssetX scripts. Context is also free but is unsupported due to licencing issues with Delphi. There is a plug in for Context to support Trainzscript but I'm not aware of a similar plug in for Notepad++. If you are a bit savvy you might be able create one for Notepad++ using the Context version. I did something similar for another programmer's editor called UltraEdit (not free).

AssetX cannot help you fix Trainzscript errors. But you can use it to spawn a compile with TS12 to look for parsing errors. These get displayed in a dialog box and saves having to commit the asset into TS12. This feature doesn't work with TANE because of changes to TrainzUtil so I'm still using TS12 for that part of my script writing.

Last, but not least, there is a dedicated thread in the Content Creation forum called "AssetX FAQ" where you can find a lot of information. Try also searching in that forum for TARDIS.

Blue

If you read the Help and still don't understand everything, join the club. Some of it seems to be written in terms that only computer programmers can understand. That being said, I still manage to make good use of it and it has saved me hours of otherwise manual editing.

My one bit of advice would be to not use TARDIS to fix spline-type assets (tracks, bridges, fences etc). The script doesn't seem to understand the post-TS2009 config structures for splines and it can do a lot of damage to them.

~ Deane

Thank You Deane, I agree on the hard reading, I've read a ton of stuff last 2 days, and learned quite a bit, Now I need to experiment carefully, and I will have my user Data Directory backed up, I keep several copies of Backups, i've learned that part well over my past mistakes.

Blue

Back