Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trainz Channel - Twitch TV

So what happened to this idea? The next show about scripts was supposed to be April 13? It's late.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond1964 View Post
    So what happened to this idea? The next show about scripts was supposed to be April 13? It's late.
    Sorry, we didn't proceed with the scripting example as the idea was starting to get to complex for what most content creators want to do in Trainz. Also having a good example that allows content creators to build from was another problem we found. Lastly, a video that goes through and tells you the in's and out's of Trainz script would take a long time which unfortunately we just can't spare at the moment.

However, if you are interested in Trainz script there are many wiki entries that you can start to learn about. This is definitely a good one to start at as it gives you the building blocks: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...uage_Reference

Be sure to have a clear idea in mind on what you wish to achieve otherwise you might find yourself going around in circles. Also another source of reference is to look at .gs files in Trainz that exist already to help you understand what they do which in turn will hopefully get you off in the right direction scripting your own ideas.

Awww, that would have been cool to see real time..... I think to most of us that haven't come from Computer/Software backgrounds, or been able to decipher the runes well enough to teach ourselves, all kind of look at Config.txts as these Black Boxes where you put things in the folder with it, Magic Happens™, and we Get trains to run......

-Falcus
    Dinorius_Redundicus - Your depressive cynicism about Trainz actually cheers me up about mine. -8/5/15 RE: T:ANE.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcus View Post
    Awww, that would have been cool to see real time..... I think to most of us that haven't come from Computer/Software backgrounds, or been able to decipher the runes well enough to teach ourselves, all kind of look at Config.txts as these Black Boxes where you put things in the folder with it, Magic Happens™, and we Get trains to run......

-Falcus
    Maybe "Getting started with Config.txt files" might be a good one to hopefully remove the Black Box stigma?

Trainz - Content Creation - #3 - Finding Content on the Download Station
    This video explains the process of using TrainzContent to find assets on the Download Station.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqdwSBsVTo

All videos can be found on The Trainz Channel on Twitch TV

Trainz - Content Creation - #4 - Part 1 - HTML Assets - Text - String Table Entries
    https://youtu.be/3jGWGH3zQTw

Trainz - Content Creation - #4 - Part 2 - HTML Assets - Pages with Images and Sounds
    https://youtu.be/SphgKdl8Lk8

Quote Originally Posted by n3vpolsen View Post
    Sorry, we didn't proceed with the scripting example as the idea was starting to get to complex for what most content creators want to do in Trainz. Also having a good example that allows content creators to build from was another problem we found. Lastly, a video that goes through and tells you the in's and out's of Trainz script would take a long time which unfortunately we just can't spare at the moment.
    Actually it doesn't really matter what the video subject is. Any video is better then no videos. I've learned along time ago that I learn details much faster by watching these types of video tutorials then by reading some manual. Keep it going!
    Last edited by BlackDiamond1964; April 18th, 2016 at 10:03 PM.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by n3vpolsen View Post
    Trainz - Content Creation - #3 - Finding Content on the Download Station
    This video explains the process of using TrainzContent to find assets on the Download Station.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqdwSBsVTo

All videos can be found on The Trainz Channel on Twitch TV
    These are great educational videos. There is always something new to learn even for us 'oldies'. This particular video on finding assets gave me several ideas which I didn't know before. Thanks again.
    I hope that this feature continues. I haven't learnt everything yet.
    Cheers, Roy3b3

Trainz - Content Creation - #5 - Bulk replace assets in surveyor to save hours of time!
    Got an old route you want to update but think “There is no way I’m replacing 20,000 trees, that is going to take me a lifetime!” Never fear, we will show you some time saving ways to update your route in this video!
    https://youtu.be/awtY2LlVQjY

Find more videos on The Trainz Channel page

I am thoroughly enjoying these videos. Thank you.

Maybe you could teach us the benefits (and possible pitfalls) of using layers to their full advantage.
    Neil (Windows 10 Ultimate) T:ANE SP2 HF1 Build 90955

Quote Originally Posted by wheelsonfire View Post
    I am thoroughly enjoying these videos. Thank you.

Maybe you could teach us the benefits (and possible pitfalls) of using layers to their full advantage.
    No problem, we can go through that next for you.

Trainz - Content Creation - #6 - How to update color, lighting and fog in a route or session
    This tutorial shows you how to update the color, lighting and fog for certain times of the day within your route or session. We also show you how to change your water effects and date for seasonal change to.
    This video should help you tweak your route or session to represent the look and feel you're going for with color, lighting, fog, water and day/night cycle for your route.
    https://youtu.be/UHnvotzQ2Ds

Find more videos on The Trainz Channel page

United States of America, Louisiana, Lafayette

I too am loving these videos. A video on working with faulty assets on the manage content page would be much appreciated. Thanks again for the very informative videos...

Blog Entries

Bulk Replacement of assets

I was actually trying out that function as a means of repair just after your Twitch Session.

And seeing you were working with trees, here's an idea for N3V.

The biggest problem we have right now is how to replace legacy speedtree Mk 5 assets with TANE compatible speedtree Mk6 assets. The problem is that speedtree Mk 5 assets are obsolete in TANE and thus don't show in TANE Surveyor, and Speedtree Mk 6 assets won't work in Legacy routes.

The current workaround is to replace the Speedtree Mk 5 with a placeholder in a TS12 route and then import that route into TANE from where you can use the Bulk Replace tool in Surveyor. This is a very clunky method and I no longer have TS12 on any of my PCs nor do I want to. TANE is far superior for repair or replacement work.

The actual problem I was working on was to do with Missing Dependencies (MD) in a TAD containing the complete DLS. There are a huge number of MD (~12,000 instances), predominantly in Routes. This situation has been exacerbated by the removal of assets from DLS of some authors who have either requested the removal, but more often for COC violation copying other authors work without permission. This leaves a number of routes in limbo.

I don't want to use the Delete Missing Asset tool, although that is an option that works, but what to replace with and where is another issue. Trouble is if it is missing you have nothing to drag into the 'asset to replace' box in the bulk replace tool.
    TANE is obviously aware of the MDs and where they should have occurred in the layout. In more recent builds in Driver we have a plethora of red wireframes showing the required position of MDs. and in CM it tells you that it is missing but not much else.

Why not hang a sign on these wireframes so that we can carry out the substitution wholly in TANE Surveyor:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    x kuid:-1:101620 x
    x Auran unnamed x
    x MD x
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We then need to identify these in the pick lists with a dummy entry:

MD Auran Unnamed

Some kind person then needs to develop a nearest replacement list:

MD Auran Unnamed replace with Pinetree 18m

There are now nearly 700 Mk 6 speedtrees available to substitute for the existing ~700 Mk 5 speedtrees in legacy routes. Might not cover the whole range but it is getting there fast.
    The TANE preview function in TANE CM gives a much larger and better quality image that could be used to select suitable substitutes, than the Surveyor Pick List Viewer does (note the problem of discovering a suitable tree in the video when the image is small and too dark).
    This viewer can also be used with many other types of asset such as groundtextures.

A similar problem occurs with FAULTY and FAULTY DEPENDENCIES. These don't show up in Surveyor nor can they be viewed in the CM Preview Viewer. Probably could be treated as special cases of the MISSING DEPENDENCIES.
    Last edited by ianwoodmore; May 6th, 2016 at 11:48 PM.
    N3V Beta Tester. Trainz Pioneer Council. TrainzDev Team.
    Asset X, PEVTools and TARDIS Beta Tester
    http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...AssetX_Scripts

I had inadvertently started a new thread with a view to running our layouts more efficiently; however, here are my thoughts.

Suggestion for Trainz Twitch TV

Hi guys,

One of the things that has really puzzled me over the years is the correct usage of Triggers. Because I do not fully understand exactly where they should be placed and how they link to Set Junctions for proper and smooth functions, I have not used them.

I've noticed a number of routes with Triggers placed throughout, yet I still see Trainz members have asked odd questions on the Forum about them. Generally an opinion on how to rectify a specific problem.

I've watched a number of the Trainz Twitch TV tutorials and I believe it is a great way for people to learn.

I would like to see a detailed tutorial on 'Triggers', whether to use 'Trigger Check' or 'Trigger Rule' and how they should be linked to 'Set Junctions'. Does this need a Driver Command installed to make it operate?

Cheers,
    Roy3b3
    Last edited by Roy3b3; May 9th, 2016 at 10:58 PM.