The Trainz Channel - Twitch TV

Trainz - Content Creation - #6 - How to update color, lighting and fog in a route or session
This tutorial shows you how to update the color, lighting and fog for certain times of the day within your route or session. We also show you how to change your water effects and date for seasonal change to.
This video should help you tweak your route or session to represent the look and feel you're going for with color, lighting, fog, water and day/night cycle for your route.
https://youtu.be/UHnvotzQ2Ds

Find more videos on The Trainz Channel page

I too am loving these videos. A video on working with faulty assets on the manage content page would be much appreciated. Thanks again for the very informative videos...:)

Bulk Replacement of assets

I was actually trying out that function as a means of repair just after your Twitch Session.

And seeing you were working with trees, here's an idea for N3V.

The biggest problem we have right now is how to replace legacy speedtree Mk 5 assets with TANE compatible speedtree Mk6 assets. The problem is that speedtree Mk 5 assets are obsolete in TANE and thus don't show in TANE Surveyor, and Speedtree Mk 6 assets won't work in Legacy routes.

The current workaround is to replace the Speedtree Mk 5 with a placeholder in a TS12 route and then import that route into TANE from where you can use the Bulk Replace tool in Surveyor. This is a very clunky method and I no longer have TS12 on any of my PCs nor do I want to. TANE is far superior for repair or replacement work.

The actual problem I was working on was to do with Missing Dependencies (MD) in a TAD containing the complete DLS. There are a huge number of MD (~12,000 instances), predominantly in Routes. This situation has been exacerbated by the removal of assets from DLS of some authors who have either requested the removal, but more often for COC violation copying other authors work without permission. This leaves a number of routes in limbo.

I don't want to use the Delete Missing Asset tool, although that is an option that works, but what to replace with and where is another issue. Trouble is if it is missing you have nothing to drag into the 'asset to replace' box in the bulk replace tool.
TANE is obviously aware of the MDs and where they should have occurred in the layout. In more recent builds in Driver we have a plethora of red wireframes showing the required position of MDs. and in CM it tells you that it is missing but not much else.

Why not hang a sign on these wireframes so that we can carry out the substitution wholly in TANE Surveyor:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x kuid:-1:101620 x
x Auran unnamed x
x MD x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We then need to identify these in the pick lists with a dummy entry:

MD Auran Unnamed

Some kind person then needs to develop a nearest replacement list:

MD Auran Unnamed replace with Pinetree 18m

There are now nearly 700 Mk 6 speedtrees available to substitute for the existing ~700 Mk 5 speedtrees in legacy routes. Might not cover the whole range but it is getting there fast.
The TANE preview function in TANE CM gives a much larger and better quality image that could be used to select suitable substitutes, than the Surveyor Pick List Viewer does (note the problem of discovering a suitable tree in the video when the image is small and too dark).
This viewer can also be used with many other types of asset such as groundtextures.

A similar problem occurs with FAULTY and FAULTY DEPENDENCIES. These don't show up in Surveyor nor can they be viewed in the CM Preview Viewer. Probably could be treated as special cases of the MISSING DEPENDENCIES.

Last edited:
I had inadvertently started a new thread with a view to running our layouts more efficiently; however, here are my thoughts.

Suggestion for Trainz Twitch TV

Hi guys,

One of the things that has really puzzled me over the years is the correct usage of Triggers. Because I do not fully understand exactly where they should be placed and how they link to Set Junctions for proper and smooth functions, I have not used them.

I've noticed a number of routes with Triggers placed throughout, yet I still see Trainz members have asked odd questions on the Forum about them. Generally an opinion on how to rectify a specific problem.

I've watched a number of the Trainz Twitch TV tutorials and I believe it is a great way for people to learn.

I would like to see a detailed tutorial on 'Triggers', whether to use 'Trigger Check' or 'Trigger Rule' and how they should be linked to 'Set Junctions'. Does this need a Driver Command installed to make it operate?

Cheers,
Roy3b3

Last edited:
The biggest problem we have right now is how to replace legacy speedtree Mk 5 assets with TANE compatible speedtree Mk6 assets. The problem is that speedtree Mk 5 assets are obsolete in TANE and thus don't show in TANE Surveyor, and Speedtree Mk 6 assets won't work in Legacy routes.

Hi Ian, you'll be pleased to know that the next SP1 hotfix will add some improved pick list tools. This will include the addition of multiple named pick lists and the ability to add assets to pick lists from Trainz Content (much like you could in the old pre-TANE Content Manager). This should allow you to use the Find & Replace tools with faulty and missing assets.

Terry Palmer
N3V Games

Trainz - Content Creation - #7 - Understanding Layers in Surveyor and what to use them for
This tutorial shows you how to use layers in Surveyor and the benefits of setting them up correctly to get the most out of your route and session creation.
https://youtu.be/KoXvafsMC3k

Last edited:
I too am loving these videos. A video on working with faulty assets on the manage content page would be much appreciated. Thanks again for the very informative videos...:)

Pienky, could you give us more detail as to what you would like to see with this stream. Any specifics to your situation you are having would be great.

Cheers,
Paul

I had inadvertently started a new thread with a view to running our layouts more efficiently; however, here are my thoughts.

Suggestion for Trainz Twitch TV

Hi guys,

One of the things that has really puzzled me over the years is the correct usage of Triggers. Because I do not fully understand exactly where they should be placed and how they link to Set Junctions for proper and smooth functions, I have not used them.

I've noticed a number of routes with Triggers placed throughout, yet I still see Trainz members have asked odd questions on the Forum about them. Generally an opinion on how to rectify a specific problem.

I've watched a number of the Trainz Twitch TV tutorials and I believe it is a great way for people to learn.

I would like to see a detailed tutorial on 'Triggers', whether to use 'Trigger Check' or 'Trigger Rule' and how they should be linked to 'Set Junctions'. Does this need a Driver Command installed to make it operate?

Cheers,
Roy3b3

No problem! Can everyone get their suggestions on things they are having issues with regarding triggers or what they might like to learn and we will highlight these in the "Triggers" tutorial on Twitch TV.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Triggers:

My main problem is knowing where to place Triggers to avoid a 'face-off' on single sections of track, but in particular if that single section may have several junctions running from it.

IMG_20160512_0003.jpg

I'd like to be able to 'Set' or 'Lock' the Junctions in advance so that the first AI Driver arriving from 'A' or 'C' to reach their first junction, will have priority over the other. Once cleared, junctions are to be 'un-locked' in readiness for the next train.

Is there a need for a 'clearance' trigger to indicate that the first train has passed?

What additional Commands are necessary?

I would also like to know how this procedure needs to be installed properly through the 'Edit Session', to operate correctly with Signals &/or Trackmarks. Thank you.

Roy3b3

Trainz - Content Creation - #8 - How to use triggers in your sessions
This tutorial shows you how to find out how to use Triggers in Trainz to add great gameplay to your sessions!
(uses Roy3b3's example posted here as the example)
https://youtu.be/CfFyxhitSnI

Thanks very much Paul, ... that video training on "Triggers" was most enlightening. You've answered my questions very clearly, and in particular, the section on unlocking a red signal which can be most useful in high density areas. I never knew about that before.

Every one of these tutorials are beneficial and it makes it so much easier, once you get a proper understanding of the functions of this great Trainz game.

Once again, thank you.
Cheers,
Roy (not Rob)

Awesome. The amount of fine control available is great. While it is tempting to set everything to the max, knowing what is happening behind the scene helps in understanding why some people report such lousy performance while others have such smooth rendering. The right hardware or lack there of really makes a difference.

Since everyone brings their own combination of hardware and software to the game, being able to fine tune Trainz to get the best possible experience is going to be another learning curve, but worth the effort.

Awesome. The amount of fine control available is great. While it is tempting to set everything to the max, knowing what is happening behind the scene helps in understanding why some people report such lousy performance while others have such smooth rendering. The right hardware or lack there of really makes a difference.

Since everyone brings their own combination of hardware and software to the game, being able to fine tune Trainz to get the best possible experience is going to be another learning curve, but worth the effort.

What Martin said!!!:wave:

Trainz - Content Creation - #8 - How to use triggers in your sessions...
Was it really necessary to lock every junction in the set? In Roy3b3's diagram, if junctions 2, 3 and 4 are sidings, would locking only junction 1 and 5 be enough to prevent a cornfield meet on that single track section?

What if a second train arrives at TM A before the first train clears TM B, will there now be cornfield meeting with the train coming from TM C, going to TM D?

Thanks Paul,

I got so much additional information from this tutorial session "Trainz - Content Creation - #9 - Understanding trainz settings & Level of Detail on assets" - It was so beneficial.
Previously, I had been fiddling around and hoping that I could get the right level of detail that I was looking for.

Whilst I haven't been involved in content creation, this tutorial has made it clear on how to get the best results in all aspects of the game. In particular, the 'In-game' settings and how Post Processing works were two items I did not know about.

Thank you again for making Trainz so much more usable.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

I found the Trainz Twitch TV tutorial on triggers very informative but as with the other tutorials unfortunately after watching each you appreciate how little you actually understand about the inner workings of Trainz and how much could be learned about the simulator many of us spend so many hours tinkering with.

Up to now the only rule I've tended to use is that of Trigger Multiple Signals to stop a train approaching from the opposite direction when one track crosses another cleanly and without a connecting junction. I now appreciate that it could also be achieved by locking point and controlling individual signals as apposed to controlling signals the way I have been doing it and letting AI sort the points out for themselves.

However understanding more unfortunately has me questioning why do we need Interlocking Towers particularly as half the time I cannot personally get them to function as I am of the impression they do. Perhaps the content of a future tutorial, the pros and cons of triggers via IT or how to use IT without bringing everything else to a standstill as in my experience. Peter

FIRST--Thank you so much for doing this! I need to "catch up" with this, but fortunately I see they are "saved" so I can. Your "real time'' is not most convenient for me. Now a suggestion: I see via some of your titles that you have covered some aspects of Scenario making. Please do some more, for example, giving more detail on some of the "commands" available, especially with a view of HOW to use them. A second suggestion: Could you create a "complete" one baseboard,layout with a very simple oval, yard and signaling, then (probably a second twitch session) create a simple AI only session? Very basic stuff really, but I am thinking it might be a helpful selling point for TANE. Now before I ask for things that have already been delivered, I better watch all the video's. Thanks again.

Back