Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trainz Channel - Twitch TV

With the tutorial of making a ground texture and compliant with today's standards, the normal map is the most critical and most time consuming:

1) Take the texture map and make a copy of it.....
    2) Make a normal map of the original texture and you will need to experiment with height limits depending upon the given texture......
    3) Take the copied texture map and heavily blur the texture......
    4) Take the blurred texture map copy and create it into a normal map with a smaller height value.
    5) Overlay the copied blurred normal map onto the original normal map in step two and then experiment with blending options so only some areas have a strong height bump map and other areas are smooth or less sharp.....
    6) Utilize the blended normal map after saving of course (always use as the alpha) and turn it into a grayscale texture and apply it to the alpha channel.... (the more contrast the higher the specular lighting effects are so you may have to darken the alpha until you get the desired specular lighting)

Normal Map Example:

Texture Map Example:

Utilizing Photoshop Pattern Layers can assist further in providing additional normal map effects.......
    Also sorry I was suggesting things but I was attempting to help you get a more non texture patterned normal map and alpha (specular lighting) effects you were hoping to achieve.........
    This is not the only way to achieve a great normal map / alpha utilization as specular lighting, but it is a start to lead people into utilizing a method that can give good results.....
    Last edited by mcguirel; March 29th, 2016 at 02:49 AM.

Caught about 10 minutes of this between waking up and having to go to work. Is there a particular problem in saving the session as other Twitch broadcasters seem to manage it without too much trouble?

Blog Entries

Perhaps I'm not clear on the concept but when I went to the site, it tells me in the video window the it is off-line. Is this a temporary situation or are the videos only view-able when someone turns them on, i.e streams them? Since it is only on 9am to 6pm AEST, when is the rest of the world supposed to watch? I mean, the Internet is a 24hr operation, no snoozing. If not, I hope the videos will also be on Youtube so I can watch whenever I have the time.

70337:
    TRS19 build 98592| Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

No problems saving, just uploading it to Youtube now and will reference it on the Twitch TV site also.

Trainz - Content Creation - Create a ground texture to match a track spline
    Link to this video is HERE

This video explains the process in creating a ground texture (and asset for Trainz) from scratch using the track spline ballast texture. It just so happens it probably hits every single problem known to the trainz world throughout it when it comes to creating a ground texture asset... which could be a good thing as it shows you how to fix all those issues too!

Apologies for the MANY stuff ups in this first Twitch TV stream everyone. There are some very silly mistakes and I think I start to lose my mind near the end (probably from lack of concentration!) but we managed to get there in the end for all those who watched it live.

Note to everyone (including me!)… read the Trainz wiki before you start your own creations no matter what you're creating as all the information is on there usually. It’s been forever since I’ve added a new ground texture to Trainz but once you do it you realise how simple it really is and shouldn't take 1.5 hours to do

Hope you enjoy the first of many saved Twitch TV streams and I’m sure as we go there will be many more hiccups in our videos but that is the fun of doing it on the fly and unprepared!

Enjoy… and for all those wanting to catch us on The Trainz Channel you can find us on Twitch TV

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by n3vpolsen; March 29th, 2016 at 06:24 AM.

Ta! .

Blog Entries

Well, let me first say I think this is a nice initiative and certainly a good way to give more publicity to the Trainz experience.

The live streams will probably be during my dreaming period, e.g. bedtime , but that's no problem when the stream is recorded and viewable afterwards. However, when I went to YouTube via the link on the twitch page I ended up with a video of abominable quality.

I presume this is a teething problem, since a video quality of 360p is really blurry on any system that can run TANE and not good for promotion of what can be achieved.

On a different note, why do I need to enter a verification every time I try to post here? Being here since 2006 I start to get offended by that.

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jananton View Post

On a different note, why do I need to enter a verification every time I try to post here? Being here since 2006 I start to get offended by that.
    Submit a help desk ticket, it happened to me Spiffy sorted it out.
    Malc

Hey everyone, "the plan currently" for the next stream a full day of "Turning an old track asset into a procedural track asset". This is planned for the 6th of April, 9am AEST. If something changes I'll let you all know.

As this task is a fairly time consuming processing it will probably take more than a day so we will record the streams that we do and stitch them together to post an online video for others to watch at the end of all the streams.

It's my first attempt at this so there will be some blunders no doubt so be patient and I'm sure we will all learn something new (especially me!)

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by n3vpolsen; March 31st, 2016 at 02:53 PM.

Perfect, I'll definitely watch that for future use. I'm starting to like this twitch streaming idea.

Fantastic for the Streaming idea, everyone will greatly benefit all of us......Thanks for the info, good things take a little time!

Just letting everyone know that the Twitch TV stream "Turning an old track asset into a procedural track asset" will be starting in 10 minutes.

Blog Entries

Did I miss it already. It's only almost 4 hours later. Does it not repeat? Can't it be started at any itme once it has been released?

Where it says
    The actual start time is hard to narrow down but keep your browser window open and it should start automatically.
    do people actually gather together at the same time around the world to watch it live? Just like the how people used to watch TV when it was broadcast?

70337:

Quote Originally Posted by martinvk View Post
    Did I miss it already. It's only almost 4 hours later. Does it not repeat? Can't it be started at any itme once it has been released?

Where it says do people actually gather together at the same time around the world to watch it live? Just like the how people used to watch TV when it was broadcast?
    You missed the first part but not to worry it is getting uploaded to our youtube channel and is nearly finished.

And yes, people gather round to watch it live on Twitch TV just like the old days ... but you don't have to as it will always be recorded and placed on our youtube channel. Just takes time to upload GB's of data and to process it for best compression. Please keep in mind, the quality of the youtube videos will get better over the hours they are uploaded as youtube will process them a little more.

Next part will commence shortly.

This is one of the best ideas that N3V has had in a long time. While I'm not watching the original program, I am downloading the YouTube videos. Good Job!

Blog Entries

WHAT WAS THAT at 17:16 into the "Trainz - Content Creation - #2 - Part 1 - Turning an old track asset into a procedural track asset video"?
    I thought even discussing how to revert a .IM file back into its original editable form was a strict no-no and a CoC violation yet here they tell the world how to do it. Did I miss an announcement somewhere?

70337: