The Trainz Channel - Twitch TV

Trainz - Content Creation - #31 - Part 1 - Bogey Creation
In this tutorial we cover how to animate your bogey using a parent child structure for dummies and meshes (part 2 covers “skin” modifiers for animation). We then continue to create the Trainz asset and import this asset into TrainzContent.
Video is HERE

Trainz - Content Creation - #31 - Part 2 - Bogey Creation
In this tutorial we cover how to animate your bogey using a parent child structure for just the dummy objects then applying a skin modifier to the mesh (part 1 covers animation through a parent child structure of dummies and meshes). We suggest watching part 1 first to get more of an overview on this tutorial before watching it.
Video is HERE

Find more videos on The Trainz Channel page.

Hi --

I've made a few bogies in my life, so very cool --- My skill can only improve now!

Thanks
Ish

Hi,

Back on 24 Aug 2016 you produced a Tutorial video #17 about "Merging 2 Routes".

On both of the 'T' and 'E' test routes, they were both blank and didn't have any assets or track placed. Each had a 'Route-layer' and although it had a 'red' warning, one route layer was deleted and ultimately they were merged into one route.

However if both routes were already independently established complete with assets and track and you wanted to merge them together,... isn't it necessary to rename one of the route layers to a different name otherwise there will be a loss of assets? Then once the routes are merged, is it safe to merge the various named 'route-layers' ? OR,... Will there still be a loss of assets?

I would like to know the correct procedure to avoid losing work that has been done on both routes, before any merging takes place.

I think others would appreciate some basic guidelines on this procedure.

Cheers,
Roy

I also have a question with regards to this video. I understand how to merge two routes but in the tutorial it shows that you can turn the letter T route round the opposite way so that it meets the E differently.

I know you say its for demonstration purposes but surely if you can do it for demostration purposes why can't we do it if we want to turn one of our routes round.

Thanks

Michael

In the program's title bar at top left corner, show the file name , the folders involved and path , and the program (and version of this) ...

He mentioned 3D Max a few times in the video.
Yes, it‘s Max. I used to do animations like that 10 years ago but thank god I don’t have to in Blender. Doesn’t Max have bone animation? The method shown relies on eyeballing the position of a helper point and creating 30 keyframes - that’s a lot of work and you have to do both sides.

Paul

Yes, it‘s Max. I used to do animations like that 10 years ago but thank god I don’t have to in Blender. Doesn’t Max have bone animation? The method shown relies on eyeballing the position of a helper point and creating 30 keyframes - that’s a lot of work and you have to do both sides.

Paul

Yes Max has bones. I use your tutorial and only do my animations with bones. It's easy....none of this keyframe stuff. As for Blender...tried that...too hard....lol

Trainz - Content Creation - #33 - Convert Old Ground Textures to PBR / Parallax

A how to on converting your previous Trainz ground textures to take advantage of the new PBR / Parallax ground texture format in the upcoming Trainz release.

Video is HERE

Find more videos on The Trainz Channel page or the Trainz Wiki Tutorials page.

Trainz - Content Creation - #34 - Clutter - Fade out lowest LOD (simple version)

A how to on creating m.clutter assets where the lowest LOD fades out. This isn't a crossfade tutorial video, the higher LODs still use the pop in/out transition, only the last LOD fades out. This is the simplest method for clutter. The video goes through the mesh creation process in 3DS Max, the metadata.txt creation and also the setup of clutter effect layers for the upcoming Trainz release. We will cover clutter crossfade lod transitions in another tutorial.

Video is HERE

Find more videos on The Trainz Channel page or the Trainz Wiki Tutorials page.

Last edited:
Hi All
I have recently uploaded the next joint ZecRail/N3V Games tutorial, this time for animating Walschaert's Valve Gear for steam locomotives in 3DSMax (the same method works in GMax, and I'm sure a similar method could be adapted for Blender)! This video covers the animation of the valve gear itself, the animation of the crosshead, connecting rod, coupling rod, and wheels are covered in our previous tutorial.

You can find the video here

Regards
Zec

Blender FBX step-by-step needed

I am the the "hands" for my 12 yo son who has quadriplegic cerebral palsy. He adores Trainz and wants to make his own Thomas the Tank style engines. So; I've modeled an E2 tank engine based on a blueprint that I found on this forum in Blender. It doesn't have any animation yet. But I want to just import it into Tane so he can see it in there as scenery because my slow progress is driving him crazy. Can you guys do a basic step-by-step on how to export from Blender v2.79 to FBX and then import into Content Manager please? I followed this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGBqAjAhrus&feature=youtu.be and I can get individual meshes into content manager where I am able to preview them. However, as soon as I select more than three objects then Content Manager reports "modified, faulty".

I wrote a Blender FBX "how to" in the Trainz WiKi pages. Just search for FBX.

It's a basic tutorial and doesn't cover locos.

There is a bug in exporting an animation from Blender to FBX, N3V knows about this and is working on a fix but it is not out yet.

Back