The Trainz Channel - Twitch TV

Well, let me first say I think this is a nice initiative and certainly a good way to give more publicity to the Trainz experience.

The live streams will probably be during my dreaming period, e.g. bedtime ;), but that's no problem when the stream is recorded and viewable afterwards. However, when I went to YouTube via the link on the twitch page I ended up with a video of abominable quality.

I presume this is a teething problem, since a video quality of 360p is really blurry on any system that can run TANE and not good for promotion of what can be achieved. :D

On a different note, why do I need to enter a verification every time I try to post here? Being here since 2006 I start to get offended by that. :)

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Hey everyone, "the plan currently" for the next stream a full day of "Turning an old track asset into a procedural track asset". This is planned for the 6th of April, 9am AEST. If something changes I'll let you all know.

As this task is a fairly time consuming processing it will probably take more than a day so we will record the streams that we do and stitch them together to post an online video for others to watch at the end of all the streams.

It's my first attempt at this so there will be some blunders no doubt so be patient and I'm sure we will all learn something new (especially me!) :)

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited:
Fantastic for the Streaming idea, everyone will greatly benefit all of us......Thanks for the info, good things take a little time!

Just letting everyone know that the Twitch TV stream "Turning an old track asset into a procedural track asset" will be starting in 10 minutes.

Did I miss it already. It's only almost 4 hours later. Does it not repeat? Can't it be started at any itme once it has been released?

Where it says
The actual start time is hard to narrow down but keep your browser window open and it should start automatically.
do people actually gather together at the same time around the world to watch it live? Just like the how people used to watch TV when it was broadcast?

Did I miss it already. It's only almost 4 hours later. Does it not repeat? Can't it be started at any itme once it has been released?

Where it says do people actually gather together at the same time around the world to watch it live? Just like the how people used to watch TV when it was broadcast?

You missed the first part but not to worry it is getting uploaded to our youtube channel and is nearly finished.

And yes, people gather round to watch it live on Twitch TV just like the old days :) ... but you don't have to as it will always be recorded and placed on our youtube channel. Just takes time to upload GB's of data and to process it for best compression. Please keep in mind, the quality of the youtube videos will get better over the hours they are uploaded as youtube will process them a little more.

Next part will commence shortly.

This is one of the best ideas that N3V has had in a long time. While I'm not watching the original program, I am downloading the YouTube videos. Good Job!

WHAT WAS THAT at 17:16 into the "Trainz - Content Creation - #2 - Part 1 - Turning an old track asset into a procedural track asset video"?
I thought even discussing how to revert a .IM file back into its original editable form was a strict no-no and a CoC violation yet here they tell the world how to do it. Did I miss an announcement somewhere?:confused:

So what happened to this idea? The next show about scripts was supposed to be April 13? It's late.

Sorry, we didn't proceed with the scripting example as the idea was starting to get to complex for what most content creators want to do in Trainz. Also having a good example that allows content creators to build from was another problem we found. Lastly, a video that goes through and tells you the in's and out's of Trainz script would take a long time which unfortunately we just can't spare at the moment.

However, if you are interested in Trainz script there are many wiki entries that you can start to learn about. This is definitely a good one to start at as it gives you the building blocks: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/TrainzScript_Language_Reference

Be sure to have a clear idea in mind on what you wish to achieve otherwise you might find yourself going around in circles. Also another source of reference is to look at .gs files in Trainz that exist already to help you understand what they do which in turn will hopefully get you off in the right direction scripting your own ideas.

Awww, that would have been cool to see real time..... I think to most of us that haven't come from Computer/Software backgrounds, or been able to decipher the runes well enough to teach ourselves, all kind of look at Config.txts as these Black Boxes where you put things in the folder with it, Magic Happens™, and we Get trains to run......

-Falcus

Awww, that would have been cool to see real time..... I think to most of us that haven't come from Computer/Software backgrounds, or been able to decipher the runes well enough to teach ourselves, all kind of look at Config.txts as these Black Boxes where you put things in the folder with it, Magic Happens™, and we Get trains to run......

-Falcus

Maybe "Getting started with Config.txt files" might be a good one to hopefully remove the Black Box stigma?

Sorry, we didn't proceed with the scripting example as the idea was starting to get to complex for what most content creators want to do in Trainz. Also having a good example that allows content creators to build from was another problem we found. Lastly, a video that goes through and tells you the in's and out's of Trainz script would take a long time which unfortunately we just can't spare at the moment.

Actually it doesn't really matter what the video subject is. Any video is better then no videos. I've learned along time ago that I learn details much faster by watching these types of video tutorials then by reading some manual. Keep it going!

Last edited:
Trainz - Content Creation - #3 - Finding Content on the Download Station
This video explains the process of using TrainzContent to find assets on the Download Station.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqdwSBsVTo

All videos can be found on The Trainz Channel on Twitch TV

These are great educational videos. There is always something new to learn even for us 'oldies'. This particular video on finding assets gave me several ideas which I didn't know before. Thanks again.
I hope that this feature continues. I haven't learnt everything yet.
Cheers, Roy3b3

Trainz - Content Creation - #5 - Bulk replace assets in surveyor to save hours of time!
Got an old route you want to update but think “There is no way I’m replacing 20,000 trees, that is going to take me a lifetime!” Never fear, we will show you some time saving ways to update your route in this video!
https://youtu.be/awtY2LlVQjY

Find more videos on The Trainz Channel page

I am thoroughly enjoying these videos. Thank you.

Maybe you could teach us the benefits (and possible pitfalls) of using layers to their full advantage.

Back