Bandwidth test results - what's your speed?

Here's the result of connecting to Softlayer, the host for our DLS, forums, and patches.

The performance is not stellar as we can see compared to the local connection, well relatively local for me at 50 miles in Boston so the results here may have to do with the distance as well.

John
I tried it, so slow...

Gave it a shot for S. and G's

5174297722.png

Obviously the Motel's WIFI needs improvement.

Last edited:
Spectrum bought bright house, and they swap modem, and internet speed clocks at 75mb's from 50mb, plus twenty dollar less --- One of the few few times that mega corporation gives back money --

Wow, I recall the late 90s with the 56k, and that familiar sound byte when using one's phone line way back then!

You know, Trainz kind of started at the same time!

Ish

Last edited:
Here are various results from my smartphone's Speedtest results taken at different times of the day and night.
Some are for my 4G coverage here and others are connections via my home wifi network.
You'll see that the 4G is faster, since my cable broadband is limited to 50mb/s download/ 2mb/s upload at present.
Vodafone have since upgraded all of their access concentrators and fibre optic systems, so speeds are much greater and more consistent these days.
About to go on to their new Gigabit service offered here in Wellington, Kapiti Coast and Christchurch via Vodafone ultrafast broadband cable.
Cost is not much more than the existing 100mb/s service and the data allowance 'unlimited'.
Dunedin was the first city here in NZ to go to Gigabit speeds (via Spark).

speedtest640.jpg

I recall the days when I shared a 2mb/s uplink to IBM in San Francisco (from Sydney Australia) over scores of 28kb modems to thousands of ISP customers in Sydney back in the early Nineties! Ah, those were the days!
When we upgraded to 7mb/s and 56k modems, we had to wear goggles and aviation hats, it was so fast... :D

Last edited:
Back