What are the best ever Narrow Gauge routes for Trainz?

That picture of that fairlie steam locomotive is asome and the coaches! I must download this on the DLS!

My favorites;

The highest and most amazing - Darjeeling Himalayan Railway TS12 24"
The longest and most prototypical - White Pass and Yukon 36"
The most prototypical and most rolling stock - Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland 24" and 10 1/4"
Very fun but needs update good sessions - Northbay County TS12 36" and 24"
Fun with good sessions - Clear Lake Lumber V2 36"
Interesting - Clear Lake Model Trainz 42"
Most promising - West Side Sampler 36"

and so many more to come!

Edit: Most interesting collection of rolling stock http://www.ballynagarrick.net/ing4trainz/index.html

oooh where can i find this it looks great and i WANT it

:mop:Just downloaded The Darjeeling Himalayan Ry Route last night, took quite a while with all the asssets needed to complete, believe or not, out of 1889 of them,:'( I'm missing (1), count it, wait for it! (1),amazing to say the least, Unknown Location: <kuid:47439:25613>, does anyone know about it, or where I might find it?

Also found this while perusing the threads,

:cool: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?23748-The-Darjeeling-Himalayan-Ry-is-ready-for-passengers

Looks like a wealth of information, I think it said its 64 msg. pages long, so I'll start on page one and read over next week, Opened the route this AM, all I can say after looking at North Bay County, this one is at the top of list, simply amazing route. Downloaded North Bay Cty couple of days ago, don't get me wrong, it's fantastic too.

On the Himalayan I did notice (in surveyor Mode) at the terminus on the mountain, there is RED LINE (invisible track that goes thru a building off main street, and swings up into the end of the Mountain, and curves around and goes underground? Has my curiosity, I don't understand the use, or was it unfinished work?

If anyone knows I would pay a nickel for your thoughts.

Everyone have a blessed day, and thanks for this great thread, I'm definitely hooked on NG stuff along with Standard Gauge, I just hate it when I get trapped like that, another Kid that never quite grew up to be an adult, LOL..........That's me fpr sure.

:mop:Just downloaded The Darjeeling Himalayan Ry Route last night, took quite a while with all the asssets needed to complete, believe or not, out of 1889 of them,:'( I'm missing (1), count it, wait for it! (1),amazing to say the least, Unknown Location: <kuid:47439:25613>, does anyone know about it, or where I might find it?

It's a Waterfall by Sirgibby however it's part of one of his payware scenery packs, it was included in the original download, If I remember SirGibby donated it to the DHR project and it's also included in Murchison which I have anyway, so not sure what if any the resolution to the problem was.

Perhaps post in the DHR thread.

One of the best old west ng routes is Wild Bill II by hiballer. This was a TRS2004/TRS2006 route but loads quite well into TS12.

Ken

Thanks so much for pointing this route out. I have fooled around with the Wild Bill West route for a long time but somehow had never gotten around to looking at Wild Bill II. What a great route for it's era, there are no interactive industries or passenger stations and the trees look quite dated but gads, with what he had to work with this gorgeous. It consists of a 20 mile loop with two longish offshoots and a junction with a standard gauge railroad. It does load into TANE with only a couple of missing assets. While it does not have interactive industries it does have industries that could be made interactive with some BI2 or Multi-Industry track. The same with passengers, there are several passenger stations that could be made interactive with little effort.

I love fixer-uppers like this. I can foresee hours and hours of setting up industries, replacing trees, adding flora and fauna. Even without that the route is quite good looking which makes working on it even more rewarding.

I recently posted some screenies of the western section (somewhat tweaked) here http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...ts-See-Some-Steam-Shots&p=1508446#post1508446

And here some shots along the full route.

Thanks!!!

Hi Norm
I love this route. In 2009 I downloaded this route into TRS2006 and spent 9 months adding interactive stations and industries to it. I have just downloaded it again into TS12 and intend to start again adding stations and industries. The cattle feed lot is my favourite and there are two of prowlers stockcars for carrying cattle, sheep or hogs. Cattle feed is another popular industry, coal and ore mines are also there. TPR have a few items useful on this route and Curtis has some very nice passenger enabled stations with western characters. Logging is also good to add to this route and the sawmill is another useful addition.

Ken

Last edited:
It is interesting that most new routes are either prototypical or point to point while Wild Bill II and Northbay are large loops with longish offshoots. I've fooled a bit with Northbay but I haven't really modified it yet but it needs about the same kind of additions and modifications for TANE. IMO. New trees while keeping the flora transitions the original authors intended, the addition of interactive industries (not so much Northbay since it was updated recently), and the addition of active passenger stations. I have not done much work with the invisible passenger stations which might allow me to preserve the existing stations. I was shocked at how good hiballer's use of billboard backgrounds looked. I had to pause the game to check to see if the hills and mountains I was seeing really existed. (they didn't) Pretty much the best use I've seen except, perhaps, some of jango's work.

I really have not had time to explore anything but the main loop so far but I am very excited by the possibilities. Especially for the use of elvenor's, togog's, and trainboi1's narrowgauge stuff as well as some of Prowlers stuff. This should keep me out of trouble for months to come.

Edit: BTW is there some reason you have not tried exporting your 2006 version of the route into TS2009 and then into TS12? I have had fairly good luck importing older routes.

Last edited:
Norm
I have loaded the TRS2006 route into TS2010 but decided to start again as I feel that i had added just too many interactive industries to that version which to a certain extent spoilt the original feel of the route.
This time I will add the old west buildings I made a few years ago that are currently on TPR.
incidentally Como station is the only station large enough to take an AJS invisible station if so you will need to change the passenger product to the western characters.

Ken

Last edited:
I definitely give a gigantic thumbs up to Clam1952 for his Welsh Highlands route. I've spent hours driving this one and enjoying the scenery and job well done on the route.

Thanks Ken, I suspected that it would be easy to get carried away with adding stuff. I'll have to take look at your old west buildings (if I don't already have them) since there is an awful lot of the same buildings in a lot of different older routes. BTW davesnow did some nice clapboard houses that look very nice. And if you are looking for more cattle cars...

trainboi1 did some nice Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge cars and and quite a few narrow gauge locos at http://trainzforge.weebly.com/

Thanks Norm
I tend to forget that Dan makes both US and UK rolling stock, I have all of his UK creations.

Ken

Hobbyman350 has done by far and away the best clapboard era buildings I've ever seen.

-Falcus

Thanks for that.
i have downloaded them all to see which I can use. They look a little high poly with no LOD so they should be used sparingly

Ken

Thanks for that.
i have downloaded them all to see which I can use. They look a little high poly with no LOD so they should be used sparingly

Ken

Depends on your route and your machine. Personally, I can't see using them prototypically to build a few small towns and a Large City as that big of a bother, in TANE at least. TS12 would be A WHOLE DIFFERENT Can of worms, But if you're running T:ANE, its resource management is so much better, and the rig you're running to run T:ANE should be able to handle a few dozen of his buildings within a small space fairly easily. I wouldn't recreate a turn of the 20th century city with them mind (San Fran, Seattle, Portland, etc etc), but they're incredible buildings for the purpose.

LOD would have been nice to see on them I must admit, but the High Poly thing doesn't bother me. I'm building Modern Seattle and in half a dozen Skyscrapers that I had no other choice then to import via Sketchup I have over 100K polys with tracks that run directly beneath them, and no issues FPS wise as long as I manage my settings.

I too have all of them, though I don't have anywhere like the use for them that a good NG route would. Theres some other authors out there that have done some incredible stuff that would fit the NG world, but few I can remember off the top of my head. Hobbyman350 is like the one big undiscovered Talent though IMHO because I have never seen any of his buildings used in any route, even though they're so incredible.

-Falcus

Falcus --

Thanks for pointing out Hobbyman's work. I'm at the stage of doing some preliminary thinking about another T:ANE one or two baseboard narrow gauge model trainz layout - logging and mining.

Those building will fit in extremely well.

Phil

I decided to download Northbay County TS12 into 49922. I downloaded the sessions and HTML from Peters link from 4 years ago but unfortunately when the sessions load they do not load the HTML pages and show the red bug.
Looking at CM shows question marks alongside many of the Northbay County entries.
There is also an error with Auran's Trigger check -25:1071 which shows as faulty.
I also have TS2010 installed and noticed that out of the 5 sessions one is in English but the other 4 are in German (i think)
Is anybody successfully using these sessions.

Ken

wow no mention of:
"Mariazellerbahn" by "michael-h" its a 760mm austrian railway.
Similar is "Talgrundbahn for TANE" by "Hupfgeign" another 760mm, this time more Bulgarian than austrian (i think)
and finally for 2010 / 2012 (and not on the DLS!) "Kanshino" or "Kanshino V1.0"

other than those, I have every other one mentioned so far HAHA! just love anything murchison, Northbay county and the DHR is mind blowing

(and, if the rules allow it, train simulator has just released a 3 foot american route, but you dont need that when you got all this!!)

Although it's not quite done yet, I have a route I'm building of a freelance 3ft gauge line called the Mojave & Panamint RR. I have a dedicated thread to showcase and chronicle its progress. It will be released as freeware when completed.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?133193-The-Mojave-amp-Panamint-Railroad

The route also includes a fair amount of standard gauge for operational interest, but the narrow gauge route is at least 37 miles long.

Back