What are the best ever Narrow Gauge routes for Trainz?

There was an amazing NG30 route made by Rooneth3808, and the download is in the route's thread. It requires some digging to get o, but once you find it it's wonderful.

If fictional is your choice, and you don't mind Thomas and Friends, try the Skarloey Railway or the Mid-Sodor Railway.

This may be slightly off topic but perhaps not too much.

Once the Durango & Silverton plus Cumbres & Toltec routes are on the DLS wouldn't it be fantastic if some talented route builder would recreate the line that connected the two (from Chama on the C&T to Durango on the D&S). If the end baseboards were made to match the corresponding end baseboards on the C&T and D&S they could quite possibly be merged into one heck of a super narrow gauge route. Methinks there would be a lot of Trainzers that would like that.

Hey - if your gonna dream - dream big.:hehe:

Ben

Give me time give me time lol. I just started haha!

DHR for Trainz is truly a great route. I watched 1st hand while it was taking form. However, I'm biased towards US NG.

The SRRL a Maine 2 footer is a charming one I had a bit more active part in making. It also had a lot of custom scenery and rolling stock made for it.

North Bay County, already mentioned, was the 1st ng layout built-in for Trainz - TRS2006. It's a fictional freelanced route with both 3' an 2' sections with custom made mining and lumbering industries. Both it and the SRRL have versions on the DLS.

The WP&Y is another large, wonderful and brand new route. It's on the Trainz Italia site so doesn't quite fit the criteria the OP specified.

The East Broad Top RR, a 3ft coal hauler, is my favorite ng route in Trainz and hasn't been mentioned so far.

The EBT is a 3 ft ng running thru the Appalachian Mts of south central PA hauling coal, ganister rock, lumber and miners. My version with 34 miles of mainline, 36 miles of branch lines and spurs, another 12 miles of main and spurs for the McKelvey Bros Lumber RR (interchange with EBTat Rockhill) and several miles of 4 tracked sg PRR main line on either side of the interchange in Mt Union and also 3 railyards with 1 having several miles of ng3, sg and 3 rail dual gauge track is a good size route. The EBT's 2 sg 0-6-0 locos in Mt Union coupled up directly to both ng and sg railcars on the 3 rail dual gauge track. Leefer kindly let me modify his sg 0-6-0 (M&P prototype) so it can be seen working ng or sg railcars on the 3 rail dg track on my route.

From 1876 up to 1956, when the EBT closed down commercial operations, it hauled mainly coal from Broad Top Mt. After 1956 the bankrupt EBT was bought by a scrap dealer, and to the surprise of most, it reopened in 1960 and operated until 2014 as a tourist railroad over a small 4 mile section of the mainline.

When I start up Trainz regardless of version from TRS04 thru Tane this is the route of choice for me. My version of the EBT is not on the DLS or built-in so it doesn't met the criteria specified in the original post. It is very far from complete and will remain a WIP for many years going forward.

There are 2 "terrain only" versions of the EBT RR on the DLS. Like them my version is DEM based and generated with MD and HOG but it's considerably larger in scope. The track and grades follow the 1917 EBT survey maps very closely. They were prepared by the EBT for the US ICC. I have maybe 1% of it sceniced and 85% tracked. With all the gray and yellow baseboard grid showing it takes a lot of imagination to operate trains and see the beautiful wooded mountains, farmlands, the small rural towns, communities or the larger city of Mt Union. While some route specific content is available much of the rolling stock, industries and scenery items are not. For TANE I'll be starting a new TransDem version of the terrain.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
There is a 30in gauge Route on the DLS, it's called the "North Bay NG30" By Steamrodder thats fun to drive on -Robert-:hehe:

The Rollins Pass NG was a fun route to run on but unfortunately is now lost to time as Trainz Italia has no plans to re-release it.

As I remember well, "The Puffing Billy"-Route available on MSTS. My favorites are Colorado NG Routes, especially Cumbres & Toltec SRR.

Norhtbay County was about the only NG route I've ever seen that seemed to have a good mix of operational possibility while at the same time communicating what it means to need and operate an NG line. I haven't seen every NG route, certainly not every one listed here, but of the ones I've seen all seem to be lacking key components when compared to Northbay. Northbay had its problems, but it was still very well done. And then when you consider that it was originally done for '06 even that much more incredible. I'll never forget Running Prowler's D&RGW K's on it.E

edited to add:
Rollins Pass would be a close 2nd and White Pass & Yukon a distant 3rd.

-Falcus

I like this Thread, has great info on NG RR, of which Im green behind the ears on Knowledge, I understand the principle for said width on narrow places hence the proper name Narrow Gauge!

I just downloaded rest Of NorthBay, NG3.0 Ver 2.1 had also downloaded a couple of small Logging Routes, threw them out into Cyber heaven!!!!! They don't hold a candle to this one, I might download "The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway DHR" and the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland route, but I don't know how well or if even they'll run on my HP Envy Laptop with its under powered Video Card.

Eventually I have another desktop CPU setup to run TS12 on it, and rest assure, I'll have some firepower video card with a good cooler in the chase to keep things ICY......LOL

One amazing example is the White Pass & Yukon Route which is available from TrainzItalia, you can also get matching locomotives and rolling stock from Trainz Forge and the Download Station.

One amazing example is the White Pass & Yukon Route which is available from TrainzItalia, you can also get matching locomotives and rolling stock from Trainz Forge and the Download Station.

Sounds good,
believe it r not, on my Alaska trip long ago, I got to ride that RR and actually stop on an Ice Flow in the mountains above, it was the most amazing trip, simply, I had never road a Narrow Gauge, this was my first, couldn't believe the views on those trestles high in the mountains, I think we ran with 3 green engines, and several passenger cars, it was a hoot.

I have to download load when I get a chance.

Sounds good,
believe it r not, on my Alaska trip long ago, I got to ride that RR and actually stop on an Ice Flow in the mountains above, it was the most amazing trip, simply, I had never road a Narrow Gauge, this was my first, couldn't believe the views on those trestles high in the mountains, I think we ran with 3 green engines, and several passenger cars, it was a hoot.

I have to download load when I get a chance.

Was it these type of locomotives you rode behind, these are very common on the route.
0357fc8b7969d3e3d8837872fdea5bb1.jpg

Also one more note, i downloaded the route and i am still missing over 300 assets which are on the download station, but the route feels like it has all of it's assets, the landscape is amazing.

Last edited:
Have not tried any NG routes in TANE so after reading this thread and the praise for Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE I decided to download it but having done so, see there are no sessions that are with it. Any one know any kuids for locos or rolling stock on the DLS suitable for it that I can get to try it out. What gauge is it?
Clam are you there? . Perhaps you can point me in the right direction? Thanks

Have not tried any NG routes in TANE so after reading this thread and the praise for Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE I decided to download it but having done so, see there are no sessions that are with it. Any one know any kuids for locos or rolling stock on the DLS suitable for it that I can get to try it out. What gauge is it?
Clam are you there? . Perhaps you can point me in the right direction? Thanks

There's a session here: jatws.org/edh6/F&WHR_2015_Base.zip

This session simply places a selection of suitable consists on the route as they would be at the start of a typical day in the summer. Details are included about the operation of the trains. Any queries ask here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...iog-amp-Welsh-Highland-T-ANE-version-released

Other locos and rolling stock can be found under my name or clam1952's name on the DLS.

One of the best old west ng routes is Wild Bill II by hiballer. This was a TRS2004/TRS2006 route but loads quite well into TS12.

Ken

Back