What are the best ever Narrow Gauge routes for Trainz?

:cool: This thread though not used for a bit, has lots of good info on Narrow Gauge Routes......Very candid and well written reviews for someone who is curious about what Narrow Gauge has to offer, and where to get it.

:wave: Thank You again for the great info it is invaluable to me, as I'm still quite green on the different Gauges Etc.

For the record, a small route I put on the DLS last year included a short 2ft NG line. This was called Dearnby (uploaded in two versions plus basic background sessions). However I'm not fit to wipe clam's route-creating boots and for me the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland remain the epic benchmarks on Trainz NG.

Not prototypical but you have to include all of Phill Skene's new ng layots for tane, great detail with plenty of operation and sessions

Not released the Laurier Border Railroad by me a 27' x 27' modelrailroad in virtual room can be operated as point to point but by turning on the link layer you have a continuous run. I have tried to detail it to the point where everyone should still be able to use it. Been asking for some to to test it to make sure all is ok except for the one item i know needs fixing by the user that i dont want to replace.

Tom

I will say Chiyoda branchline, because of the detail level. Keep this in mind, Japan started with 42in gauge, and still have majority. I will also say electro-island as well and the recent version has the maglev.

On the Himalayan I did notice (in surveyor Mode) at the terminus on the mountain, there is RED LINE (invisible track that goes thru a building off main street, and swings up into the end of the Mountain, and curves around and goes underground? Has my curiosity, I don't understand the use, or was it unfinished work?

If anyone knows I would pay a nickel for your thoughts.

It's a hidden (well, semi-hidden) return loop we had to put in to make the AI work properly. If you stay at ground level near the Darjeeling Station, you see the train chug away up the street. Then, a few minutes later it will come back down and be ready for dispatch again.

Bill

One of the best old west ng routes is Wild Bill II by hiballer. This was a TRS2004/TRS2006 route but loads quite well into TS12.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. I've updated the route for T:ANE, but anyone who has added more content will have to start over as I used the original route to convert.

Bill

Ok have to add TGR Fingal branch a 3'6" Tasmania route, if its not already mentioned, this one is going to remembered as a classic as a few others have said in its thread.
Its one of those routes the more you play with it the more you like it.

Also have to add for europe Enzianbahn 760mm is a fantastic realistic route very large lots to explore but if you rather modelrailway style Schmalspurbahn 760mm got both working in T:ane

Im adding this comment cause when i think of "narrow gauge" is a very broad term in Trainz now. When you ask something like this you need to say exactly or atleast region or gauge or both then real, fictional or modelrailway/road, do you like steam, diesal or electric is another thing, or all of above what you want would give us a idea of your intrests.

Tom

Last edited:
It's a hidden (well, semi-hidden) return loop we had to put in to make the AI work properly. If you stay at ground level near the Darjeeling Station, you see the train chug away up the street. Then, a few minutes later it will come back down and be ready for dispatch again.

Bill

Thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense now, Never gave a thought about it this way......

Sometimes you have to fool "AI" to get it do what it should without the Magic Sleigh of hand...........

Had anyone Checked out my route yet?:confused:

I just did and it is a nice little route with a great session which has a really great collection of 24" rolling stock.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Thanks!

Missing this KUID for that route Normhart - kuid:156765:100115.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a track asset from the old Trainz Forge site.

Last edited:
I'm also planning on switching to the winter track version and removing Trainboi1's to fit the conditions. I'm tempted on doing the request for the 42in. gauge and a 3ft. gauge versions. I'm going to only use the C56, 9600 class, and the porter steam locomotive by hirochi. Plus the kiha 1, 3, & 4, for rolling stock, I'm going small due to radius of the turns for the 42in. gauge version.

!Announcement!

I got the 42in. gauge version done & uploaded, and I'm planning on doing the next session. I fixed the 30in. gauge, and added the 2ft. gauge shay for the 2ft. gauge route versions. I also added three new sessions to the 30in. gauge version.:D

If you want short trains for the route for electrics how about JNR 118 + 119 and single unit JNR 119100, found out the 103 S2 only has 3 cars set up the s one the same see photo

There is also the parcel / mail car I think 143's

Tom

!Announcement!

I got the 42in. gauge version done & uploaded, and I'm planning on doing the next session. I fixed the 30in. gauge, and added the 2ft. gauge shay for the 2ft. gauge route versions. I also added three new sessions to the 30in. gauge version.:D

Last edited:
If you want short trains for the route for electrics how about JNR 118 + 119 and single unit JNR 119100, found out the 103 S2 only has 3 cars set up the s one the same see photo

There is also the parcel / mail car I think 143's

Tom

I use the nagano, Hokkaido, and Yonezawa's locomotives & rolling stock, because it was themed for the northern parts where there's snow. I might add electrics, but I have to wait on Hirochi's because on the bugs. So I will be using keimei's for now, I will suggest Emus with Snow blades, based on the theme of my route.

Just a thought on gauge. If you find you want to mix 42in and 36in stock use metric track. The error is only 3in either way and unless you zoom in close is not really noticeable; the 42in flange being in the rail and the 36in tyre is not quite off the rail.

Back