Goodbye to My fellow Trainz Creators and Friends thanks for helpng me learn from 2002

More school playground behaviour on these forums again I see.Since when has it become taboo to say that the game doesn't run well/at all on someone's computer?And why do some people (usually the same people) get so uptight because someone mentions this, and then go on to say that it's because they haven't tried it long enough/installed SP1/got a powerful enough computer or that they're doing something wrong?And when it's aimed at people who have loved Trainz for a long time, and wanted nothing more than a trainsim they can use, it seems even more ridiculous.Why would they slate Trainz unless they were really disappointed with T:ANE?Give these people more credit and respect.The truth is that T:ANE doesn't run well on a lot of people's computers, and doesn't deliver what a lot of people were expecting it to.There's no reason why they shouldn't air that on these forums, provided it's done in a civil manner.And why shouldn't a long-standing Trainz user/creator say goodbye, citing his reasons for leaving?Maybe they want n3v to read it.Maybe they feel they need to know why they're losing people.That's understandable.I often wonder, when looking at the same people getting uptight about negative comments about T:ANE, whether they have a vested interest in it's success, or possibly because they've invested a lot of money in it through Kick-Starter, and don't want to admit that it's not as good as it could/should have been.If it works for you, then just get on and enjoy it.I don't have T:ANE (the reasons have been discussed many times before), but I don't disbelieve those that say it runs fine or those that say it doesn't run well.That's computers for you.Get over it.One of my computers far exceeds the specs needed to run T:ANE well, but that doesn't mean it would work well.I can live with not knowing. :DPersonally, it's Tony's behaviour before, during and after T:ANE's release that stops me from buying T:ANE, and makes me shrug my shoulders when I hear about Trainz NEXT, and the behaviour that's been demonstrated in this thread and many others that stop me from visiting these forums much these days (not to mention stopping me creating content for Trainz and cancelling 2 pieces of software for Trainz which I had already started).I can live with that too.You wont' find me constantly criticizing anyone who says it works great for them.Why would I?I left that sort of behaviour behind in my early teens (30 years ago), and I'd be quite embarrassed if I found myself acting like that now. :D :D :DBTW, it's great to see Barry posting on here again.Although I never had any interest in the maritime, I always enjoyed his enthusiasm for it, and seeing what he was creating.Good to see it hasn't waned at all mate!Brian.

Poor Internet connection due to extreme weather is causing the formatting in my post above to lose all it's formatting!!!!Will fix when the connection is right again.Brian.

Geez Smileyman, you made your post very difficult to read!

You have some gems of wisdom in there (I think) and you have expressed your opinion, no problems there. I agree that there are "fanatics" on both sides of the T:ANE "debate".

I also agree that some users with high end systems that well exceed the specs have had problems installing T:ANE - but that was also true of TS12. The causes may be many and varied. I often notice that when these problems are discussed with others in the forums that a successful resolution can often be reached. Solutions such as turning off the virus checker, firewall, or logging in with admin privileges often work. As you say, that's computers for you!

But how would you know if you don't try? I can appreciate that forking out the cash to get a "lemon" is always a risk but that is true in all areas of commerce.

But how would you know if you don't try? I can appreciate that forking out the cash to get a "lemon" is always a risk but that is true in all areas of commerce.
Very true, but when risking buying a lemon, you take a look at the person selling the goods, and then decide whether it's worth the risk or not. And there lies the truth.

Curiously, my system is well below the minimum specs - at least, the GPU is - yet T:ANE runs pretty well.

Who cares if I havent played TANE. Just the looks and performance Ive seen by others with high end systems who cant run it speaks words. The issue lately on the board is all you white knights claiming that unless we have extensive hours in TANE then we aint allowed to talk about it. You fanbois will defend N3V to their grave.

I don't have a "high end system", in fact my machine would be classed as 'mediocre' by most on these forums, but I seem to be getting on very nicely with Tane.
I run with the sliders set at around 50% which gives me near stutter free running, what stutter there is, is hardly noticable.

You can hardly accuse me of being a "fanboy", as most on this forum would pi$$ themselves laughing just at the thought, I have one of the worst
negative attitudes on here. If I ain't said Tane is crap, then it must be bloody good. :hehe:

You can hardly accuse me of being a "fanboy", as most on this forum would pi$$ themselves laughing just at the thought, I have one of the worst
negative attitudes on here. If I ain't said Tane is crap, then it must be bloody good. :hehe:

You only need to use this particular forum to be labelled a fanboy :hehe:

Regardless of the fact one can be quite vocal about the failings of the product, but you know, you're using this forum, therefore you're a fanboy.

How about we act our respective ages (Although this might not always be the best course of action...)?

Jack

Good Morning All --

Off-topic since someone said it!

TANE is not crap -- not going to use any quote; But, TANE SP1, if install propertly, like from scratch, it will work superbly great!

Not sure what else people are searching for, or want from a sim game!

And just saying -- Living in the pass is not an accuss for now, meaning TANE had serious issues that even Tony admmited, but after SP1 (read long list listed) many of those issues have been addressed, and fixed!

(To all, read the Trainz Dev forum -- it's a very informative place to see what's coming and what's being worked on, instead of hoping on people's opinons about this, about that -- to get the bread and butter, just go to the source "Traive Dev Forum"!!!)

I think somtimes people spend more time posting then actualy playing, so they judge the game by what other's might post; But, like I have always said, judge things on your own merits, not by others! --- Just my 2 cents!:wave:

Kind Regards to all :)
Ish

Good Morning All --

Off-topic since someone said it!

TANE is not crap -- not going to use any quote; But, TANE SP1, if install propertly, like from scratch, it will work superbly great!

Not sure what else people are searching for, or want from a sim game!

Kind Regards to all :)
Ish
Yes, I am experiencing better performance from T:ANE than I ever did with TS2009/2010 or TS12. It runs well on a HP ENVY 15T--yes, a laptop! Now, the laptop does boast 12 GB RAM and fast hard drive, but nothing more than an Intel-based display driver. I do have to keep my hard drive defragmented for good performance, and find that A/V needs to be set to Game Mode, and that's about it.

On the other hand, the Flat Earth Society is not going to give up easily!

Obviously depends on the person and the system, but I have dealt with more issues in TANESP1 than I have in TS12/Mac2 or TS10/Mac 1 combined, at this point. TANESP1 is effectively unusable for me; so I will respectfully disagree with that statement above.

Cheers,
SM

I cannot help it, fellow Trainzers! Mirth and play tug at my sensibilities as this on going saga continues to unfold.
I cannot offer an intelligent reply with a straight face.
That T:ane is "crap" is an offense that demands a reply only in the Field of Honor.
I am reminded of Cyrano de Bergerac's eloquent challenge to the young Comte's assault upon his probiscus.
It is upsetting to walk along the pavers, soiled with gutter waste, by young urchins carelessly splashing all around them.

Last edited:
Barry, no offense but,........................................you make me sick! :eek:

Okay, there are some great Blender tutorials out there, but animation stuff? Okay, I think we all ought to conscript you to teach us everything you know. You wouldn't happen to know how to do that Vulcan mind meld thing would you? :D

I forgot to add to my previous post that have no idea what you mean. As regards Blender you do not say whether you can use it or not.
As regards help I an quite happy to help with Blender but only related to what I make as I will not know the answers beyond that.
I am unable to help on this forum as the moderators seem to have decided the topic is not suitable. Further details are on my site as I mentioned in the first post. Thanks Barry

P.S As regards my maritime Blender routes for download the previous post is now out of date as in the process of changing the 28 downloads to 15 large size routes.

http://blender3dandshiproutes.barrygandsw.co.uk/intro.html

I forgot to add to my previous post that have no idea what you mean...
No deep meaning was intended! I am simply commending you for your ability to create within Blender, a tool that I find powerful, but difficult to learn at the most basic level. It's not that I cannot be creative with Blender, but I find that I have to relearn a lot every time I go back. It is intimidating with all the options that make it so powerful a tool.

Then again, I find Gimp intimidating... :eek: But give me a job in Matlab data analysis and programming, though, and I'll show you what I can do!

Anyway, I looked at what you have on your site, and it is quite amazing, but I can also see why it would not directly fit N3V's suitability test. However, adapting your expertise to help others create animated assets for T:ANE, and...Oila! You'll have an instant audience!

Barry, your help on Blender topics are always welcome in the 'Content Creators' Forum. Feel free to post there. I find those folks to be somewhat more literal, and subject oriented.

No deep meaning was intended! I am simply commending you for your ability to create within Blender, a tool that I find powerful, but difficult to learn at the most basic level. It's not that I cannot be creative with Blender, but I find that I have to relearn a lot every time I go back. It is intimidating with all the options that make it so powerful a tool.

Then again, I find Gimp intimidating... :eek: But give me a job in Matlab data analysis and programming, though, and I'll show you what I can do!

Anyway, I looked at what you have on your site, and it is quite amazing, but I can also see why it would not directly fit N3V's suitability test. However, adapting your expertise to help others create animated assets for T:ANE, and...Oila! You'll have an instant audience!

Thanks for your explanatory post, much appreciated! However I am at the other end of the age scale so Trainz is not suitable any longer for my interests. I used Trainz mainly to make ships, canals, and docks anyway and I can now make them and use them in Blender quite easily without complicated configurations. The original idea of Trainz when it first started was more in my interests. I can't say much here, as post will probably get removed, but you can contact me as outlined on my site. Happy to help but not here and only within the boundaries of what I know how to make in Blender including srtm2 routes.

Barry, your help on Blender topics are always welcome in the 'Content Creators' Forum. Feel free to post there. I find those folks to be somewhat more literal, and subject oriented.

I post on the 'other' ( try and hide the name UKTS) train forum user name precar. On there Blender and ship simulator forum under name precar. Mainly just my posts there anyway but very little discussion. Very tricky, just and outcast trainz ancient mariner. Bit wary these days posting on forums after the 'experience' of the these Trainz forum. I used to post about Blender on this Trainz forums years ago and many post were 'very antagonistic. Several problems I can't solve regarding offset collison box I devised for floating.drivable boats in Blender. I won't post more here.

Barry

Many Thanks.

Last edited:
Back