Goodbye to My fellow Trainz Creators and Friends thanks for helpng me learn from 2002

seniorchief

The Rocker Trainz Veteran
I like to Thank you all over the 13 Years for helping me create items for you all to enjoy and have to use in your layouts. I Have build 3.4 in TS12, so I cannot upload any new content I have made for you all to use, Or can I update old content for you to use in TS12.

I would like to thank the creators for showing me the ropes, when I was lost in making items. I have learned well from all of you.

I will not be purchasing Tane or trainz items. I have my own reasons, The forum has a way of where were heading with trainz and what is not happening.

I have been making items for people on the side @ no cost.

dash9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
semiphore.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These items here, are almost done, but you will never be able to have them to use, but you can see how far I have come in making stuff for the community,
I have been seeing a lot of the creators leaving so I will be joining this elite group too.

With that said, I wish you a great day, and all the best. Seniorchief 61556, Damon, The Rocker. Fare winds and follow seas mates...............................:wave:

Its a shame what this community has become anymore. Hopefully game creators will wake up one day and see people are abandoning this sinking ship.

Farewell my friend, and take care.

TS12 creates version 3.5, the DLS accepts 3.5 currently.

TPR and JATWS.org are amongst the web sites that host for older versions of Trainz if you care to use them.

I suspect the hardware requirements for TANE are such that for many TS12 will be the their last version of Trainz, although with SP1 TANE appears to have stablised and I'm beginning to see some movement amongst the content creators I work with.

Cheerio John

So long buddy. Hope you find something else to hobby with.

Yeah, there have been a lot of content creators leaving. And there aren't many new ones joining the ranks. I actually feel one reason is the decision not to support GMax any more, because a lot of older creators used and liked GMax. And Mind-Blender is just too hard to learn, while GMax is easy and user-friendly. Another reason, not many can afford 3DS-Max.

As for me, I have a copy of 3DS-Max, and learned to use it (after many months of frustration) but have given up on it and gone back to GMax. (I never could learn how to "bake" textures which apparently is what a lot of fans like, even though, in my opinion, it turns a realistic looking asset into one that looks too dark, "computery" and cartoonish.)

Well, anyway, good luck to you and thank you for your contributions.

Cheers

Dave Snow

It's sad to see the good ones go. Since you are the one "retiring," It should be us saying "Fair winds and following seas." BMOW, pipe the Senior Chief ashore.

Although your American based assets are of little or no interest to me (I'm strictly a British/European prototype modeller) it's always a shame to loose an 'old hand' content creator.

I sometimes wonder if the core reason that people give up on content creation is that it has got more and more complex and demanding version by version until the act of creation becomes more of a battle than a pleasure. The lack of proper documentation of content creation requirements for years has not helped (although I think this is improving a little recently).

Personally I don't accept that there is much blame to be attached to the 'non support' of GMAX as it is still perfectly usable.

Anyway Chief all the best and enjoy whatever you are going to be doing.

Chris M

While it is always sad to see a content creator leave the Trainz scene, it is not a new phenomenon.

We saw similar departures when Trainz 2004/2006 appeared - some stated that "content creation was becoming too difficult", "too many rules", etc. When Trainz 2010 appeared and many older assets no longer worked (Trainz 2009 had a "compatibility" feature that allowed them to work but this was removed in 2010) again the forum had "leaving now, so long" messages. Likewise there were (and still are) "vigorous discussions" over the issue of older content being carried on into the newer Trainz versions.

I agree, content creation is now far more difficult than it was when Trainz first started but the same is now true of just about every area of computer software. I started creating web pages using MS Notepad back in 1992. Now you need to understand javascript, css and a host of other HTML addons to be able to do a half decent job that can compete. I'm not complaining, the web is now a far richer and diverse experience than it was back in the 1990s, but that level of expertise is just not for me. The same is true of Trainz content. We are starting to see new assets specifically designed for TANE and they are also far richer than their earlier counterparts.

There will always be departures from the community - and, not surprisingly, some of them return.

We saw similar departures when Trainz 2004/2006 appeared - some stated that "content creation was becoming too difficult", "too many rules", etc. When Trainz 2010 appeared and many older assets no longer worked (Trainz 2009 had a "compatibility" feature that allowed them to work but this was removed in 2010) again the forum had "leaving now, so long" messages. Likewise there were (and still are) "vigorous discussions" over the issue of older content being carried on into the newer Trainz versions.

Compatibility Mode was a feature of TS2010. It was removed in TS12.

Yes, content creation is harder - I look at some of my own early creations versus now. But I wouldn't say it's MUCH harder. Possibly because I learned by the "new" rules from the start, and had little exposure to the old ones.

Last edited:
I will miss you a heap.

May I ask a slightly off-topic question?

What exactly is meant by "not to support Gmax anymore"?

Ben (ETC-B6 USCG).

delete.............................................................................

Last edited:
Compatibility Mode was a feature of TS2010. It was removed in TS12. Yes, content creation is harder - I look at some of my own early creations versus now. But I wouldn't say it's MUCH harder. Possibly because I learned by the "new" rules from the start, and had little exposure to the old ones.

Your right, "Compatibility Mode" was removed in TS2012, but only in TS2012 builds after 49922... (Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!!!).

Even tho I have TS2012 SP1 HF4 & Deluxe Tane, I still spend 85% of my Trainz time in either TS2010 or TS2012 49922...

Sadden to see another contents creator contemplating leaving.

John has mentioned that you can still upload 3.5 and above to the DLS. It's a long shoot, but as a suggestion, why don't you try changing the version number in the config file to 3.5, save, then try and upload to the DLS.

What have you got to loose, apart from a little of your time. Whatever you decide to do, all the very best, and many thanks for all your creations for the community over the years...

Personally, I think N3V might need to re-think what version number (and above) can be uploaded to the DLS after Sept 2016. They might just end up with a riot/backlash on their hands if they are not careful!!! With the delays in getting Tane launched and up to scratch, IMHO support for TS2012 should continue till either Sept 2017 or Sept 2018...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
I think Trainz has become too dedicated to Forced Obsolescence. They cut off the versions that are blocked from the DLS far too early after the release of a new program. Many casual content creators lose the ability to share their toys to easily. I think it's hurting the DLS for everyone else.
And now another legendary creator is hanging it up. We wish you well. and I hope you do as well with your next projects, wherever you end up.

Hi Dave:

All that seems to say is Gmax was no longer supported by Autodesk as of 16 Oct, 2005. Not exactly new news. Did I miss something?

I mean is N3V going to start refusing items made using Gmax? Can they tell the difference between one made using Gmax, 3DS, Blender, or Sketchup? An im file is an im file (isn't it)?

Ben

Last edited:
Hi Dave:

All that seems to say is Gmax was no longer supported by Autodesk as of 16 Oct, 2005. Not exactly new news. Did I miss something?

I mean is N3V going to start refusing items made using Gmax? Can they tell the difference between one made using Gmax, 3DS, Blender, or Sketchup? An im file is an im file (isn't it)?

Ben
Well, you beat me to the question. I tried sketchup - sick of it, tried blender....nah, and I'm really wanting to get into 3d modelling, now more than ever. I need models for other things minus trainz (HO parts). Is Gmax an unacceptable program now?

Is Gmax an unacceptable program now?

Gmax has been unsupported by its developer for many years. If it works for you then great, but if it doesn't, we can't help you in any way. If it turns out that something which is required by Trainz can't be made in Gmax, then you're out of luck. Since it's long unsupported, the first you'll find out about this is that it just doesn't work any more- there will be no grace period. If you're already using it, then please by all means keep using it until it finally dies, but if you've never used it then I'd really strongly suggest not wasting your time learning a dead product.

hth,

chris

...by all means keep using it until it finally dies...

So what will finally kill it?

Auran basically "gave us" GMax when Trainz was young. Can't they come up with another asset creation tool we can start using? I know, I know, Blender is free, but I would like a new model-maker that is specifically geared towards TRAINZ. It seems to me that would spawn a whole new generation of model makers. Lord knows we need them!!

So what will finally kill it?

I have no idea. Some examples of possible problems:

* A new Windows update may be released which is incompatible with Gmax.
* We already know that Gmax doesn't support a number of content features. If it becomes impossible to create without these features, then Gmax will be useless.

Auran basically "gave us" GMax when Trainz was young. Can't they come up with another asset creation tool we can start using?

Gmax wasn't ever an Auran product. We purchased a license to allow us to redistribute it alongside Trainz. Unfortunately the license was a one-off deal and the Gmax developer stopped allowing these as of about 10 years ago.

I know, I know, Blender is free, but I would like a new model-maker that is specifically geared towards TRAINZ.

There has never been a TRAINZ-geared modelling package, and it makes little sense to produce one. We would have far fewer resources to develop to such a project than others such as the Blender Foundation, so the results would likely be inferior.

chris

Back