Radeon Software Crimson

wilts747

I have just been reading an article in a computer magazine and the web about AMD Radeon Software Crimson and the potential performance boost it may offer top end Radeon graphic cards. Having nVidia graphics myself I’ve not used it but may be of interest to those using Radeon. Peter

The only thing I found interesting is ability to limit max fps for DX9 based games (FRTC function). I would be very interested to know what impact it has for Trainzes up to TS12.

The only thing I found interesting is ability to limit max fps for DX9 based games (FRTC function). I would be very interested to know what impact it has for Trainzes up to TS12.

It's a power saving option. The point of setting a target frame rate is to prevent the GPU from drawing excess frames, which may not be visible and will contribute to heat output and excess power consumption.

For instance, I have the option set to 60 FPS since I have a 60Hz panel and cannot see a higher framerate than 60. This results in mild power saving for me since I'm not drawing excess frames in games where I can actually reach and exceed 60 FPS.

(It's not a DX9 feature either, it's not API specific)

Jack

My experience with the Crimson Driver is nothing more than a GUI Modification..........
My experience with the Crimson Software/Driver package for my Asus R9 390 8GB DDR5 shows little to any performance increase and with T:ANE many lacking rendering enhancements that effect overall performance before or after the Crimson Software release.....
There is so much BS on the internet, personal propaganda to validate one's false perception, ect that one should approach what you read with a grain of salt regarding hardware reviews and software reviews......

My experience with the Crimson Driver is nothing more than a GUI Modification..........
My experience with the Crimson Software/Driver package for my Asus R9 390 8GB DDR5 shows little to any performance increase and with T:ANE many lacking rendering enhancements that effect overall performance before or after the Crimson Software release.....
There is so much BS on the internet, personal propaganda to validate one's false perception, ect that one should approach what you read with a grain of salt regarding hardware reviews and software reviews......

That's an excellent point --- I get dazed and confuse researching the stuff --- Cnet, Tom Hardware, among other review sites seem to have their own opinions, without really give the customer a concrete guideline to follow! :'(

Regards
Ish

Back