Trainz Model Railroad Edition > When will Beta start?

Perhaps I missed an announcement, but what the heck is Trainz Model Railroad Edition? You can build model railway type routes perfectly satisfactorily in the main versions.

Happy to see a link to this if I'm wrong but the only new versions are Train Driver 2016 and the announcement they are working on Trainz NEXT, which is not aimed at only model railways.

Eggs and baskets comes to mind https://www.trainzportal.com/news/view/view/trainz-roadmap-2016-and-beyond

[h=3]Trainz Model Railroad Edition[/h] When Trainz first began, the concept (we thought) was simple: provide software to allow people to create their own train world to whatever size and level of detail they desire. Some people build full scale prototypical worlds while others focus on a more compressed view much like a “model railroad” world.
Our brand new “TMR” Edition focuses on these smaller, more densely packed and highly detailed environments and we’re sure this edition will provide exposure to an aspect of Trainz that isn’t seen elsewhere in the train sim world.
Applications for beta testing “TMR” will open later this month to participate in the beta testing for this great new innovation to our product range.

...You can build model railway type routes perfectly satisfactorily in the main versions...

True, but I would say that the majority of Trainz users don't build routes but just drive or play what's included in the game version they have.

No harm in having dozens of versions as long as the core (hardcore :eek: ?) application continues to be developed, plus it's good if each version makes money for N3V, helping keep them a viable business.

Chris M

Thanks for the link, unfortunately browsing from work and the "Net Nanny" won't let me open. I'll read in full later today when I get up off nights.

This might actually be of interest to me, assuming it has Surveyor and the included content offers some of the assets that have been used to build up the excellent collection of model railway layout-routes over the last couple of years.

I have all manner of track plan books at home plus old designs for my projects which never quite got off the ground and of course now the "real" hobby is so expensive the virtual solution is far more tempting.

My guess would be that there won't be any beta testing. TMRE is likely just TANE with a selection of model railroad routes chosen either from the ones on the DLS or built specially by 3rd party route builders for this edition. A smart business move in my opinion. The model railroad industry is estimated at 900 million dollars a year. The rail sim market is tiny compared to that.

William

Afraid the model railway Trainz concept just does not appeal to me, however separating it from the main version of Trainz I think is an excellent idea. ;)

Well, it's now the NEXT month, no beta test announcement or recruitment ! Not even a single response from the devs. :eek:

I'll take that as a sign the original announcement was just a teaser for a new product that hasn't even reached an Alpha stage of development. :confused:

Still, I hope the idea does come to fruition as the model train aspect DOES appeal to many of us Trainzers ! :Y:

Rico

That is what Trainz was originally sold as. I could never understand the point of a train simulator simulator..:confused::confused:

Glad it evolved to simulating REAL trains, not plastic ones.

Well, it's now the NEXT month, no beta test announcement or recruitment ! Not even a single response from the devs. :eek:

I'll take that as a sign the original announcement was just a teaser for a new product that hasn't even reached an Alpha stage of development. :confused:

Still, I hope the idea does come to fruition as the model train aspect DOES appeal to many of us Trainzers ! :Y:

Rico

Considering it's only the first of the month and their announcement came out at the middle or end of the last month, give them time to get things prepped for beta testing. Keep in mind too the team is also busy working on T:ANE SP1 HF1, which is in the midst of being beta tested right now, and us beta testers have been sending in boat loads of things to be addressed. Not all these things are critical, but enough of them are that warrant a second look before that product is ready for primetime.

Remember, I'm not sure if you've ever beta tested software, it's not just a release to play with like the full product. Beta testing involves full testing, sometimes repetitious testing of the same steps over and over in order to report a repeatable error so the developers can address the issues. Beta testing also means a mostly working product, not necessarily stable, that will have lots of things wrong with it, and in the process of fixing some things others will break.

John

@JCitron:

Thanks for that update. I don't follow beta testing for Trainz much these days as I'm map building and terrain theme modding in Cities:Skylines, skinning trailers in American Truck Sim and occasionally dragging myself to fiddle with my TS12 model train routes. (lack of motivation these days LOL)

I was a beta tester for Trainz 12 quite a while ago, but did not submit much data back then. Too much on my plate as usual. I have tested many other game/sim titles as well, so I'm familiar with the process and time requirements. However, I do hold that if a beta program is announced, some follow through by the devs would be nice, especially when they tout program start the same month as the announcement, and then follow with... nothing? :eek:

As for the Negative Nancys that keep disparaging the idea of a dedicated model train version of this sim. Keep your "I don't like because" comments to yourself please. I posted the thread to find out info on the announced beta of TMRE, not to have a useless bashing session thread arise.

Keep on Simming !

Rico

Last edited:
@JCitron:

Thanks for that update. I don't follow beta testing for Trainz much these days as I'm map building and terrain theme modding in Cities:Skylines, skinning trailers in American Truck Sim and occasionally dragging myself to fiddle with my TS12 model train routes. (lack of motivation these days LOL)

I was a beta tester for Trainz 12 quite a while ago, but did not submit much data back then. Too much on my plate as usual. I have tested many other game/sim titles as well, so I'm familiar with the process and time requirements. However, I do hold that if a beta program is announced, some follow through by the devs would be nice, especially when they tout program start the same month as the announcement, and then follow with... nothing? :eek:

As for the Negative Nancys that keep disparaging the idea of a dedicated model train version of this sim. Keep your "I don't like because" comments to yourself please. I posted the thread to find out info on the announced beta of TMRE, not to have a useless bashing session thread arise.

Keep on Simming !

Rico

No worries... We've been pretty busy testing, testing, and testing to ensure we get a good SP1 HF. Let's hope the bigger things make it into the patch coming out. Anyway, as you know you need the time to do the testing, which is something I have now that I'm no longer working so the testing keeps my brain cells active. The beta will come up soon enough, believe me once things settle down probably with the SP1-HF1 patch. They have been busy beavers over there in Oz Land. :)

So you're a Cities guy too. I've become a someone busy member on their forums as well and CO has been feeling some of the aches we've been feeling over here lately since their new Snow update came out. That update broke lots and lots of content, as you probably know, which put a lot of people into a hissy fit! A patch came out the other day and that seems to have addressed many things which caused the ills, but not all. They also took flak for not showing their faces around the forum there as well. Oh so familiar again.

As a Trainzer, I too am a route builder mostly and do very little content, so my testing has been on testing things in Surveyor and even Driver lately. I have a rather large route which makes the program glow-so-to-speak.

At any rate, I too look forward to seeing what this new Trainz version will be about.

John

Beta will start soon :p

We have lots on our plate and juggling all the priorities is a challenge. Out next beta will be the long awaited TS12 routes...

Bumpity bump...

Any more news on this, please? I have several Kalmbach and Peco trackplan books not to mention various stuff collected off the net, asking me when they will be turned into 3D virtual railways/railroads.

A little information, if possible.

Nobody is stopping you from starting to build already. Many have done so.

See this topic for tips and tricks:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?109444-Making-Model-Railroadz

Way to state the obvious and I have already done so (Hallgarth and Fiddlers Yard in TS12 a year or two ago). The point is, this product is supposed to be specifically aimed at and customized for the creation of Model Railroad type routes so criticism of my - polite - request for more information preferably from N3V themselves is hardly justified and, with respect, tantamount to trolling. Do N3V want our business, or not?

Back