$500 Gaming Laptop for Trainz?

I bought a LENOVO z50 for $450
AMD A10-7300 Quad-Core 1.9 GHz Processor
8 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen

Cut more lawns, rake more leaves, shovel more schnow ... by mid winter you will have $1700 or $2700 saved up for a new high end laptop, or a $1500 desktop, that will run T:ANE with sliders almost on full ... You are not gonna' get a decent laptop for under $1000

. . . And Relating to Something Worth $500 . . .

My Mom got an early Christmas present in the mail yesterday: a $500 gift card to a local chiropractic doctor. A perfect last minute present for your friends and relatives with a bad back.

giphy.gif

Don't do what I did. I was looking online and found a CyberPowerPC prebuilt tower on sale at Best Buy for $450, and bought it the same day without doing any real research. It looked promising (AMD FX CPU, Radeon R7 graphics, 8 GB RAM), but turned out to be a lemon. That AMD processor is an FX-4300, which is severely underpowered compared to newer offerings from AMD and Intel. The AMD R7-240 graphics card can barely handle T:ANE (it struggles even on lowest settings), and because of that, I'm still using TS12 (which runs perfectly on max). It later turned out to be a refurbished four-year-old Windows 7 rig that was upgraded to Windows 10, something they didn't tell me. I've only had this PC for a few months and I'm already saving up for a new one. That could be kinda tough, seeing as how I'm just a bagboy at a grocery store... (also, I suspect the hard drive may be developing problems)

TL;DR: Don't go cheap. Save up. Research, research, research. And most importantly, DO NOT JUMP THE GUN. Take your time. You're not gonna lose your Trainz if you hold off for a few more months. If it sounds to good to be true, it is. Also, it doesn't hurt to build your own. It's cheaper and you could learn some skills that may help in the future, especially if you're looking at going into IT or PC servicing. There are guides online to help you.

Matt

Last edited:
Don't go cheap. Save up. Research, research, research. And most importantly, DO NOT JUMP THE GUN. Take your time. You're not gonna lose your Trainz if you hold off for a few more months. If it sounds to good to be true, it is.

I think these are the wisest words in this thread - even more so since they have been learned the hard way, through personal experience.

I think these are the wisest words in this thread - even more so since they have been learned the hard way, through personal experience.
Sad but true. I also once got one of those too good to be true CyberPower PCs. ouch. Now it makes a good foot stool or support to keep some boxes off the floor. Was even able to recycle some of the inside cables. Later I saved my pennies and for not much more, got a custom made rig with just the right parts to run Trainz maxed out. The difference is day and night. YMMV and everyone has to make their own cost / benefit calculation but for me, the smoothness, the lack of stutter was worth the extra cost of a decent GPU.

Back