My Permanent Questions Thread

Well I'm a blind bat.. although on the plus side at least I was right....
Once you have purchased the game, the key will be sent to you by email within 24 hours.

Btw.. what I meant was how exactly do I get the game in the first place, not how I download it. But thanks.. anyway :p

Last edited:
Route Suggestion

I've always had trouble finding the right route for me, I'll specify what I like..

-Long Routes, much like the ECML Length or longer
-Dramatic landscapes and or/intresting features
-Routes that allow fast speed in sections, or the entire route itself
-Something off the beaten track, quite different
-All steam, or maybe 1950's UK.(Prefer UK routes though really, but other suggestions won't hurt)
Any suggestions?(Something free or from the DLS would suit, though I would prefer DLS suggestions)

For a long time, I saw locomotives with one wheel further apart than the others, I finally think I figured out(not recently, quite a while back) on my own why it's like so..
6180403559_1acf170ae4_b.jpg

Expand on this if correct if you will, but I presume the principal is to provide more tractive effort?
If you do expand, make it detailed, but not complicated ;)

I suspect that the reason for the mismatched axle spacing on that loco is that the firebox is between the two rearmost axles, other possible reasons might include ensuring an even axle loading. As far as I know tractive effort is not dependent on wheel base.

New question!(Can't tell you how relieved I am for making this thread btw, :D, no clogging up the forums with loads 'o threads! ;))

I've seen this mark on various wagons and engines, but what's it actually for? Is there a purpose?(Also, look! The train that first introduced me to Steam! The FOWLER 4F! :D)
MO9Wtop.jpg

Diagonal yellow cab side stripes on steam locos mean they are banned from working under overhead electric wires. White diagonal stripes on wagons indicate which end the tippler door is at. The stripe is highest at the end with the door.

Thanks for the infomation Edh ;)! Also, still so happy you did that request for me.. :D(Thy Deflector Humorist)

Why would they be banned from working under overhead wires though?

I didn't know that, I actually thought it was something to do with steam damaging equipment or something..(Search me.. :eek:)

It's understandable though, after all, what came first? Overhead wires or steam engines?(No prize for guessing.. :hehe:)

Another newbie...
What's the advantage a Garratt Locomotive has over a Mallet? I know a mallet can bend it's wheelframe round corners...

Mallett-Compound-Engine-Winslow-AZ.jpg
Train40.jpg

To be honest, I dislike my mallet statement, I'd prefer a more professional, yet easy to understand statement from a Forum member.. :)

An advantage of Garratts is that you can fit a much larger boiler and firebox on as there are no driving axles on the central frame to get in the way. The advantage of Mallets is that you don't need a a high pressure flexible steam joint as the high pressure steam goes to the fixed wheels at the rear whilst the pivoting front wheels use low pressure steam. All articulated designs (Garratt, Mallet, Fairlie, Meyer, Kitson Meyer, Golwe etc.) have both advantages and disadvantages, both theoretical and practical.

First that larger boiler is for UK only in the US we have bigger clearances. Second you show a AT&SF 2-10-10-2 witch is not a Mallet but a hinged loco made from two old 2-10-2s and the boilers had a hinge, it did not work well.

For once, I'm answering a question, did an A4 ever haul freight?
Yes, not sure how inoften/often,
Due to being unsure if the image is ok to post here...

You'll find it on David Heys Steam Diesel Photo collection-06-York, you'll have to scroll down abit.

Bit of promotion, I recommend this site, fantastic images along with descs!

Pray explain, why does the Stirling Single have three (I presume coupling) chains?
The theory is that in the event of the main coupling breaking (due to metal fatigue or what have you), the other two couplings would hold the train together until it could be stopped safely. The three coupling chains were found on fast passenger locomotives and coaches.

By the 1880s metalwork on the railways had improved and the couplings were stronger and more reliable so the side-chain practice started to die out. The practice ceased on newly-built coaches in the 1890s.

Kieran.

Back