My Permanent Questions Thread

Andddd other question!
pf_5829.jpg

On the front of some trains you see these 'plugs', but what are they for/used for?

I'd like to introduce you to a site i use use often.

It's a great site, and it's full of information on trains.

You can visit it here.

It's very useful for questions like all the ones you've posted here.

You should try it.

Those 'plugs' are most likely MU cables. On the front of the EMU show in your picture, the plugs are looped back on to holders to keep them from dangling and getting caught on things as the train moves along.

Various connecting cables that can be hooked to another locomotive to operate in Multiple Unit (MU). Note that they are attached to hooks to keep them from flailing about as the train moves along.

under01d.jpg

An MU jumper cable showing the plugs.

th

@JCitron.. Thanks.. :D I persume connected to another EMU it shares/provides power to that unit?

Nope. Not power, but controls for the engines to work in tandem so one driver can run both motors, control signals, lights, sand, and all the other functions from his cabin. This has the advantage of not requiring multiple drivers to run the trains.

The same controls will also work on diesels as I pointed out in the pictures.

John

It simply sends signal linking all the engineblocks, generator, traction motors, computers, a slave to the lead locomotive, making them work in unison, as one big locomotive, but as far as lighting the rear headlight, operating the horn and bell ... NO

Last edited:
New question... any idea where I can find out about railway logos through time, preferably a site.? My first one being none other than GWR..
71oddEsPizL._SL1500_.jpg
-Yes this is Railworks btw.(Not in-game screenshot from me)

Sorry, thanks :p
I've got to admit though, this was designed with making answers easier to relocate... :p
P.S Just started looking at some of that site.
So visually appealing! :udrool:
Thanks BLACKWATCH! :clap::Y:

Last edited:
Brand new question.
What is junction/point wire for.. Also how does it work?
By this I mean the junction wire you see next to the track.
(No I don't mean anything electrical, not a junction box!)

The wires seen by the side of the track running through little pully wheels are cables for mechanical signals. When the lever in the signal box is pulled the cable moves the signal to clear, when the lever is released the weight of the signal arm returns it to danger and moves the cable back...

Points use rodding not cables. You can't use gravity to return points to normal, thus the rodding has to act under compression as well as tension, which is why you can't use a cable for points.

Thanks Ed! I don't actually know how I came to think it controlled junctions, as I cleary know how you switch tracks..:confused:

I'll have a wild guess and think that 'above ground' signal wire is only able to be used if you have the space and if, it being placed, wouldn't make things akward for people moving around.

I'll guess if you couldn't have it, it would run underground?(Until it reached the signal of course)

I don't mind being corrected if this statement's wrong or in need of alteration.
P.S Thanks again Ed.. :D

To make things a little easier, this is what I mean.. and btw, I found a video with a thumbnail of what I'm describing, I didn't know what to search to find the wire itself..
24nhgdl.jpg
[/IMG]

God bless you both! Now I know what they are, THEY ARE USED for both purposes! For pulling semaphore signals and moving points.. or at least.. occasionally nowadays.. :hehe:

How does a digital download work? The one I've found is for a Steam Key(Windows), how will this exactly work?

Will the key be emailed or?

Back