Dummies Guide to UK Signals

simtrain

I've quickly trawled the forums, and can't find what I need.

Can anyone help?

I know nothing about signals, and I have installed UK and BR signals (TANE). I know the signals are to keep separation between trains, but don't understand 'call on' 3 aspect, 4 aspect etc.

What prompted me was I have put a feather signal on for where a train has two way of going, eg, straight up or across to another line (coming up to a station, so they can either go to platform one or two). The feather signal keeps showing that the line is clear to cross over to the other line, when in actual fact the train should be going straight on , which is does. This led me to look at the signals, and I came across a call on signal, so I thought I'd best ask the experts on here about signalling, as I don't want to release my route and have got everything wrong signalling wise.

Many Many thanks in advance

Steve

Just another thought specific to Trainz, most (?) more recent signals you will find in Trainz require the use of 'Target' indicators placed on the tracks following a divergence. For example the main line track goes straight on and a branch comes off to the left you would have, for example, a two arm semaphore signal or a colour light with a 'feather' pointing left AND you would have a straight ahead arrow on the main line after the point and a leftwards facing arrow on the branch (also after the point), the targets are only visible in Surveyor mode.

Example Target <kuid2:60850:23911:4> Sig T Feather Left 1 (pos 1)

Chris M

Hi Steve. Normally a signal will be stop or go (2 aspect and you will find these on the dls). 3 and 4 aspect signals have 1 or 2 yellows along with the red and green. If we use a 4 aspect as an example and you are standing at signal "A" when a train passes then it will turn red. When that train reaches the next signal (B) then signal "A" will show 1 yellow. This is a "call on signal" that it is safe to proceed at a fixed reduced speed. {2 yellows is ditto but at a faster reduced speed}. The drivers usually know where the signals are and they pace themselves between signals.

If signal (B) was a diverge then it would turn red and the train would branch (say) left. As soon as the points reset back to the main line and signals ahead by a factor of at least one signal were green or 2 yellows then signal(B) would revert from red to green automatically. The diverge left would be showing a red. I hope that explains it a bit for you.

Doug

One of the problems I'm having is I'm using 'UK 3 Feather Pos4' and no matter which way the junction is pointing the feather bit is lighting up, though the train does now go down the correct track....

Thank you all for your help, I did find a good tutorial at http://trains.0catch.com

Steve

UK 3 Feather Pos4 uses the built-in Trainz logic for junctions, which can cause problems with detecting the correct route in some situations where there is a converging junction between the divergence and the next signal on the straight route.

For example, the following layout often shows an incorrect feather indication on signal A when the route is set for the straight. (Signal A is with a right hand feather, B is the next signal on the straight route e.g. after the station platform, C is a fixed red signal at the end of the opposite platform for turning trains around.)

====A========================B=== -->
-----------\\-------//-----|Platform|
=============================C=== <--

Adding a signal between the two crossovers should solve the problem, but may not be prototypical if it is such a layout. Also, signal spacing needs to be considered, as it must be possible for a train to stop before a red signal after having seen the preceeding yellow, or double-yellow if using 4 aspect signals.

An example of a target-based signal is the Sig 3A BR series - these come as simple 3-aspect signals (2-aspect and 4-aspect ones are also available), and show the required combination of feathers based on the targets found. Setting up can be a bit clunky - as I recall the junctions need to be toggled in Surveyor for the signal to see all the relevant targets, then saved as a session.

Is there one for right?

Steve

There are targets for three left hand routes and three right hand routes (as per real-life British signalling), as well as most letters and numbers for theatre-style route indications (e.g. platform numbers when approaching major stations). The upwards-pointing feathers and targets are used as first preference, then the horizontal ones (if there is a subsequent divergence before approaching the next signal), and finally the downwards-pointing feathers.

UK 3 Feather Pos4 uses the built-in Trainz logic for junctions, which can cause problems with detecting the correct route in some situations where there is a converging junction between the divergence and the next signal on the straight route.

For example, the following layout often shows an incorrect feather indication on signal A when the route is set for the straight. (Signal A is with a right hand feather, B is the next signal on the straight route e.g. after the station platform, C is a fixed red signal at the end of the opposite platform for turning trains around.)

====A========================B=== -->
-----------\\-------//-----|Platform|
=============================C=== <--

Adding a signal between the two crossovers should solve the problem, but may not be prototypical if it is such a layout. Also, signal spacing needs to be considered, as it must be possible for a train to stop before a red signal after having seen the preceeding yellow, or double-yellow if using 4 aspect signals.

An example of a target-based signal is the Sig 3A BR series - these come as simple 3-aspect signals (2-aspect and 4-aspect ones are also available), and show the required combination of feathers based on the targets found. Setting up can be a bit clunky - as I recall the junctions need to be toggled in Surveyor for the signal to see all the relevant targets, then saved as a session.

There are targets for three left hand routes and three right hand routes (as per real-life British signalling), as well as most letters and numbers for theatre-style route indications (e.g. platform numbers when approaching major stations). The upwards-pointing feathers and targets are used as first preference, then the horizontal ones (if there is a subsequent divergence before approaching the next signal), and finally the downwards-pointing feathers.

Thank you will give it a go

Steve

Back