West Coast Railways Banned Again from UK Rail Network.

wholbr

Steam enthusiasts here in the UK will once again be disappointed as their heritage rail tours are cancelled being that the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) has served the second Prohibition Notice within a year against West Coast Railway (WCR). by removal of the company's safety certificates. The forgoing will prevent the company running any heritage rail services on any part of the National Rail Network with effect from February 18. The notice relates to concerns about WCR’s management of safety, following a number of incidents over the past year.

West Coast Railways had its safety certificate removed and ban imposed previously last year when one of their steam Heritage Tours passed a signal at danger (SPAD) on the Great Western mainline at Wootton Bassett near Swindon. The steam hauled heritage consist was brought to an emergency halt across a junction less than a minute after a high-speed service from Cardiff to London Paddington had passed a through. West Coast Railways had its safety certificate restored and the ban lifted after it gave the office of Rail Regulation assurances that safety improvements would be made. The company and the driver are still waiting to face criminal charges in the High Court for the Wootton Bassett spad but it seems that things still have not improved in regards to safety within the company.

The office of road and rail launched another review of West Coast Railways safety certification in December 2015 following a number of further incidents over the course of that year. The safety incidents involving WCR locomotives and consists include:-
In June 2015, a WCR train moved forward while passengers were still boarding and doors remained open while preparing to leave Reading station, due to miscommunication between the guard and driver.

In September 2015, a WCR train collided with the buffers at Weymouth station. ORR inspectors investigating the incident found WCR’s risk assessments for operating steam trains were out of date, and that WCR staff were not even aware of their existence.

In October 2015, staff on a WCR steam hauled consist near Doncaster turned off a trains Protection and warning System equipment, designed to apply an emergency brake if the driver makes an error.

Ian Prosser, HM Chief Inspector of Railways at ORR, said: “A decision to stop a train operator from running rail services is not taken lightly. However, my concerns about West Coast Railway Company’s lack of appreciation of the seriousness of a collective range of incidents over the last year, coupled with ORR’s concerns on the company’s governance, regrettably make this prohibition necessary. These failings create a significant risk to operations on the main line network.

Steps that west Coast Railways must take before the office of Rail and Road regulation will even consider restoring companies safety certificates include:-
1) The introduction of clearer governance structures with greater accountability for safety.
2) The introduction of a more robust and comprehensive system of risk assessment.
3) Enhanced processes for managing staff with a high focus on safety culture.

It would seem that WCR did not even see fit to send a RIDDOR report (Reporting of Serious Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) following the Weymouth, Dorset incident to the Health and Safety Executive even though the foregoing obligation is one of the most stringent regulations encompassed under the UK Health and Safety at Work Act.

Many senior personnel working within workplace and transport safety here in the UK were surprised when Network Rail and the office of Road and Rail regulation restored the safety certificate to West Coast Railways following the Wootton Bassett spad in March of last year. However, the arguments will once again start no doubt as to whether these "old tin kettles" really should have any place on Britain's high volume and overcrowded mainline rail network especially under the governance of west Coast Railways management.

Bill

Last edited:
Sounds like they are running a pretty slipshod RR

I would most certainly 100% agree with that Cascade. It has only just come out on the Networks evening news here in Britain, but I think most rail users will find this "literally unbelievable" in view of what happened at Wotton Basset last year.

Bill

Sounds like they are running a pretty slipshod RR

Not a Railroad as such but a Train Operating Company with permission to operate on Network Rails tracks, other than Heritage Lines all the UK network track is owned by Network Rail the Trains are operated by TOC's.

The 9 Page decision letter sent from the ORR to WCR is quite enlightening. http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...-17-decision-letter-to-west-coast-railway.pdf

WCR and the driver involved in the Wootton Bassett spad are being prosecuted for breaking Health And Safety issues.

The fact they have been banned again is no surprise amongst rail enthusiasts.

Details of the incident here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Wootton_Bassett_SPAD_incident

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
Many thanks clam1952 for posting the correspondence between the office of road and rail and West Coast Railways as it does indeed make very interesting reading. However, as many are stating on rail and safety forums today, there are many questions which need answering in regards to both Network Rail and West Coast Railways in regards to the competence of both parties in these incidents.

In regards to the happenings at Bath Spa and Weymouth stations then those events can be put down to poor staff training and incompetence within WCR, for those incidents however serious were not deliberately undertaken by the company or any member of its staff.

However, the incident at Doncaster where the locomotive crew again turned off a trains Protection and warning System which is designed to apply an emergency brake if the driver makes an error was without doubt a conscious and deliberate act. It was turning off exactly the same equipment on the locomotive "Tangmere" while it was in Main Line operation which caused the Wotton Bassett spad only 7 months previous and brought about the banning of west Coast Railways in the weeks that followed.

The British public were informed by Network Rail at that time that all of West Coast Railways heritage locomotives where to have equipment fitted that would prevent the train protection systems being turned off by any of its footplate crews. That undertaking would be part of the condition for West Coast Railways to have the safety certificates returned and the mainline ban lifted. However, rumours abounded when West Coast Railways returned to main line operation that all that had been fitted was a simple metal seal on an isolation valve in the cabs of its heritage fleet. It was pointed out in several industrial safety journals that if the above was indeed the case such a seal could easily be removed at any time by a member of West Coast Railways footplate staff. The foregoing is obviously what has happened in the Doncaster incident.

The above does demonstrate a culture of absolute disregard for operational safety by West Coast Railways locomotive crews to the endangerment of all others working and travelling on the UK rail network. It also brings forward the question of why Network Rail agreed with West Coast Railways that such a simple seal (if that is the case) was sufficient train protection in view of what had happened in the Wootton Bassett spad.

Many rail annalists believed that west Coast Railways would not have their safety certificates restored and that they would be permanently banned from mainline operation following the Wotton Bassett incident. The foregoing was to be proved wrong and WCR we're back on the mainline rails within two months of the ban being imposed. It has now become obvious that nothing whatsoever has changed by way of the safety culture (or lack of it) within the company. So the question has to be asked, why has West Coast Railways been so easily allowed back onto the mainline network by way of Network Rail recommending to the Office of Road and Rail that it should happen.

Many within transport safety now believe that the Health and Safety Executive being the ultimate authority for workplace safety in the UK should immediately take over the investigation and handling of West Coast Railways and also extended that investigation to encompass the governance procedures of West Coast Railways by Network Rail. Let's be clear that no one is suggesting any wrongdoing by Network Rail in its relationship with WCR, but while suggesting that nothing has been done wrong it is also obvious that very little has been done right.

Bill

Last edited:
Steam trains are still to be run up here in the northern part of the Kingdom and in fact the Mallaig branch of the West Highland. The 2016 services are being advertised. Although I have liked steam trains since a wee boy the name of that Highland service puts me off as my ancestors were Lowlanders and it is called the Jacobite! L:

Hi everybody.
Steam trains are still to be run up here in the northern part of the Kingdom and in fact the Mallaig branch of the West Highland. The 2016 services are being advertised. Although I have liked steam trains since a wee boy the name of that Highland service puts me off as my ancestors were Lowlanders and it is called the Jacobite! L:

rkhowie, I also noticed that WCR were still advertising steam rail tours in Scotland starting in May. They are also still advertising their current winter heritage rail tours here in England even though some of their departures are in the next few weeks. Therefore, they are either very confident of the ban being lifted very quickly or they are still accepting customers money when they know there is no realistic prospect of the tours taking place.

The above is one of the reasons why I stated in my posting at #6 of this thread that I felt the Health & Safety Executive should take over the whole investigation of West Coast Railways from Network Rail and the Office of Road and Rail. The more anyone reads in regard to WCR and its "goings on" the more suspicion gathers around the relationship between Network Rail and that company.

I also realise that Scot Rail are an autonomous body when it comes to rail matters in Scotland, but I would expect them to fall in-line with the English rail authorities in banning West Coast Railways in view of the seriousness of the allegations against them if only for the safety of Scottish rail users.

Bill

Last edited:
Strange that they are not saying anything much, couple of questions asked on their Facebook page re bookings still being taken, go unanswered.
Need to remember that WCR is not the only source of Mainline steam Crews or TOC with mainline steam certification or whatever it's called, DBS/EWS for Steam or DRS who I think only cover diesel hauled tours being the alternatives, so it's not the end of heritage tours just maybe a lot less of them if WCR don't snap out of their complacency and start doing things correctly, I doubt they are going to get another chance if they muck up again, unless it's case of friends in high places?
Think DBS are crewing the Flying Scotsman tours which appears to be unaffected.

Railfans are not Railroad personnel ... Foamers can not operate trains, safely

I'm afraid this is complete nonsense, the UK has many hundreds of tourist and heritage railways from miniature lines to preserved mainlines running at 60mph. These are mostly run by enthusiasts who are volunteers or sometimes paid staff. We all have to pass tests before being allowed to run trains on our own, and generally there are very few incidents on these lines...

Think DBS are crewing the Flying Scotsman tours which appears to be unaffected.

They are listed as such on UKSteam.info.

I have read that various steam loco owning and operating groups have been investigating getting their own TOC steam licenses so that they don't have to use other bodies to operate their own locos.

What I meant is that they run that RR very unprofessionally, and slipshod

Running through red signals, and starting running with doors open while passengers are still loading

They could have very seriously kilt' somebody !

Last edited:
wholbr:

Yes Bill I think you are very correct in sating that the steam control thing should include up here in Scotland too as we are part of UK rail matters at the end of the day. That steam group have an assiciation I undesrand with that steam connection here too so you are spot on with you stance.

Bobby

WEST COAST BAN LIFTED

PLEASE TO HE4AR THAT THE BAN ON WEST COAST RAILWAY OF CARNFORTH HAS JUST BEEN LIFTED

TONY

West Coast Railway

HI EVERYBODY

Have just learned that West Coast Railway has had the temporary ban lifted so it appears to be full steam ahead once again, hopefully without many more hiccups
Tony

Hi everybody.
So, regular rail commuters have once again to put up with the disruption and safety concerns brought about by this heritage rail operator who seems to be able to “ get away with anything” to the detriment of all other rail users and train operators.

The lifting of the ban seems to be based on a letter sent by the chief executive of West Coast Railways to the chief inspector of railways at the office of Rail and Road. A copy of the letter can be seen by following this link:-

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...oast-railways-letter-of-intent-2016-03-22.pdf

The letter ranks by many of us regular rail users as the “ biggest joke in the history of rail usage” and anyone lifting the ban on the basis of that letter must have very poor judgement or ulterior motives for doing so. Anyone visiting the rail forums here in the UK can witness for themselves the “furore” that this decision has brought about. There are many things in the letter that have been commented on, but one in particular has brought no end of comment which I repeat below.

Extract starts:- All steam charters will have a suitably qualified traction inspector on the footplate, except for regular operations where a suitable and sufficient risk assessment can demonstrate an inspector is not necessary. Extract ends.

The first thing which comes to many people's minds on reading the extract is, “ what the hell is a traction inspector”. The second thought would be if a suitable and sufficient risk assessment has not been compiled prior to any journey, how is our traction inspector supposed to be able to carry one out from the footplate of the locomotive while traveling. As already stated, the foregoing in the eyes of many is nothing else but a complete joke.

There is also the section on having CCTV cameras on the foot plates of these heritage locomotives. The foregoing leaves the question of “will these cameras be live to a central control while train is travelling”, for on the past history of this company nothing else would be sufficient. It would be little consolation to anyone involved in a incident with one of these trains in viewing CCTV footage of how that incident occurred after it has happened.

It has taken many years to bring passenger rail travel back to the forefront of the British transport infrastructure. Network Rail and the Office of Rail and Road have not operated well in many people's eyes for the past number of years. The above decision will only bring even more questions in regard to the suitability of these offices to oversee the running of such an important sector in Britain's economic welfare.

There is no shortage of private and volunteer run heritage railways throughout the UK where these locomotives can be seen running throughout the year. In many people's eyes it is time that these heritage services should be confined to those railways. Is it not time to stop a minority of people playing “choo choos” on the mainline and “old codgers” reliving their youth to the inconvenience and safety detriment of all others wishing to get to work or carry out their daily business via Britain's railways.

Bill

Last edited:

The letter ranks by many of us regular rail users as the “ biggest joke in the history of rail usage” and anyone lifting the ban on the basis of that letter must have very poor judgement or ulterior motives for doing so. Anyone visiting the rail forums here in the UK can witness for themselves the “furore” that this decision has brought about. There are many things in the letter that have been commented on, but one in particular has brought no end of comment which I repeat below.

Extract starts:- All steam charters will have a suitably qualified traction inspector on the footplate, except for regular operations where a suitable and sufficient risk assessment can demonstrate an inspector is not necessary. Extract ends.

The first thing which comes to many people's minds on reading the extract is, “ what the hell is a traction inspector”. The second thought would be if a suitable and sufficient risk assessment has not been compiled prior to any journey, how is our traction inspector supposed to be able to carry one out from the footplate of the locomotive while traveling. As already stated, the foregoing in the eyes of many is nothing else but a complete joke.

There is also the section on having CCTV cameras on the foot plates of these heritage locomotives. The foregoing leaves the question of “will these cameras be live to a central control while train is travelling”, for on the past history of this company nothing else would be sufficient. It would be little consolation to anyone involved in a incident with one of these trains in viewing CCTV footage of how that incident occurred after it has happened.

It has taken many years to bring passenger rail travel back to the forefront of the British transport infrastructure. Network Rail and the Office of Rail and Road have not operated well in many people's eyes for the past number of years. The above decision will only bring even more questions in regard to the suitability of these offices to oversee the running of such an important sector in Britain's economic welfare.

There is no shortage of private and volunteer run heritage railways throughout the UK where these locomotives can be seen running throughout the year. In many people's eyes it is time that these heritage services should be confined to those railways. Is it not time to stop a minority of people playing “choo choos” on the mainline and “old codgers” reliving their youth to the inconvenience and safety detriment of all others wishing to get to work or carry out their daily business via Britain's railways.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Could you give any sources for the 'many' that are referred to in your missive?

There is no shortage of private and volunteer run heritage railways throughout the UK where these locomotives can be seen running throughout the year. In many people's eyes it is time that these heritage services should be confined to those railways.
Would you like to tell that to the NRM, who have just spent 4.2 million pounds on Flying Scotsman so it can run on the ECML once again? Or the A1 Locomotive Trust, or Jeremy Hosking, or Pete Waterman? I think it's you that's living in the past here, the steam ban was lifted in the 70s and may it never return. In fact, a new age of steam is dawning....Patriot, P2, B17, G5 etc...

Back