Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trainz Native Interface

Quote Originally Posted by geophil View Post
    An obstacle I see is that you don't want the Windows platform API to be used. However, the Windows platform API springs to mind when one thinks about a possible inter-process message-passing mechanism. Such a mechanism would then be platform dependent, of course. Since I have no plans to port TransDEM to a different platform, a plugin to facilitate data exchange with TransDEM may well be Windows-specific.
    We have two options there:

1. Allow usage of specific elements of the Platform SDK when those make sense and there aren't any decent alternatives.
    2. Provide wrapper functions for the required APIs.

There are two benefits to wrappers: that we control which functions are being used (reducing the security footprint) and that we don't introduce a dependency on the Platform SDK (which as you say, probably makes not difference in your specific case.)

About the safety measures you plan: I fully understand why you are imposing these and I fully support them. As a consequence, of course, it will limit the number of applicants and applications.
    It will, but I don't see any alternative in the short term. In the longer term, maybe something like PNaCl.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by ianwoodmore View Post
    The missing link is the TANE to JMRI interface.
    Would love to hear from people interested in working on something like this.

chris

Germany, Nordrhein Westfalen, Moenchengladbach

Hey guys,

i just want know, if there is something new about TNI.
    When can we expect to test someting?

Regards
    Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by callavsg View Post
    i just want know, if there is something new about TNI.
    When can we expect to test someting?
    It'll be a little while off yet. We'll let you know.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by RRSignal View Post
    I'm well aware of Interlocking Towers.

I have in mind more of an entire dispatch system, not a dinky little tower, along with a more-realistic UI.
    Just to revisit this topic- the Interlocking Towers system is far more than "dinky little towers" so if that's your current impression then I'd strongly encourage you to check out its capabilities in more detail. The Driver user interface is customisable, so if you're unhappy with the one UI that we currently provide, you are free to build your own. The Surveyor user interface is not currently replaceable, but does allow the addition of custom properties if you wish to extend the capabilities of a given tower asset.

Interlocking Towers are also built to interface with other scripts, so you can replace the default prompting when a player-controlled driver approaches an entry signal with your own user interface (for example, an actual in-tower view) or with automated assignment if appropriate.

Of course, there's far more to running a railroad than just the interlockings, and perhaps that's what you are referring to here, but I would strongly suggest that whatever you build works with the I.T. mechanism rather than trying to implement a work-alike. Our ongoing support in this area will focus on the interlocking towers, so if you're working at cross purposes to that then you'll probably find that your system ends up being difficult to use in a typical Trainz route.

kind regards,

chris

Chris B,

I'm interested in TNI (see post #6) and would like to, at least, keep up with what's happening. I can program (but I'm very rusty) but would still like to see an interface between Trainz and a timetable system so if I can be of any help then please keep me in the loop.

Chris M

POST REMOVED BY O.P. as no longer relevant.
    Last edited by ModelerMJ; July 21st, 2017 at 03:10 PM.