Trainz "Next" is announced...

I'll put my money on amigacooke rather than phimat being closer to the actual outcome :)

New menus, interface, functionality, bug fixes, underlying architecture, optimisations, improvements are all included in the next major update to Trainz - over a year's worth of effort except for the ~1 week a month devoted directly to TANE bug fixing. (all of which are included as well).

True, but most of that new functionality will have to do with the MP element, which in my view is what will differentiate NEXT. MP is the bolt-on, the money-machine in this case. No doubt some fixes will be applied to the TANE base, but they will not be substantial. In other words, if you are happy with TANE, and don't want a sub'ed MP, then there will be no good reason to buy NEXT.

I already have good reason to buy NEXT (though not at the exorbitant cost I choose to pay for TANE). If I understand the exchanges in TrainzDev, it looks like there will be a fbx importer for content creation that works for the macOS version as well as Windows.

The only thing worse than the fanboyz who see everything positive and sunny are the boobirdz who see everything negative and dark. Reality is almost always some shade of grey in between. As for NEXT, why not wait an see what it actually becomes and then buy or don't buy based on the merits and not on some idle speculation.

New menus, interface, functionality, bug fixes, underlying architecture, optimisations, improvements are all included in the next major update to Trainz - over a year's worth of effort except for the ~1 week a month devoted directly to TANE bug fixing. (all of which are included as well).

Tony, I've waited over 2 years for TANE to bear semblance to a decent sim and for once seriously consider continuing my work in that - moving content over already a massive undertaking in itself. Now you tell us there's alot of other all that good stuff coming along so my question now is if I only wanted to do a massive migration once should I skip TANE altogether instead of being one of those that updated their stuff to 61388 only to find it immediately obsolete because the goalposts were shifted again?

Tony, I've waited over 2 years for TANE to bear semblance to a decent sim and for once seriously consider continuing my work in that - moving content over already a massive undertaking in itself. Now you tell us there's alot of other all that good stuff coming along so my question now is if I only wanted to do a massive migration once should I skip TANE altogether instead of being one of those that updated their stuff to 61388 only to find it immediately obsolete because the goalposts were shifted again?

Nicky,

I would move content over now to SP1 HF4, and prepare you for the future. It's the most stable version of T:ANE and you'll be quite pleased with it. Repairing the older installed content might be necessary, but about 95% of what you have already will work fine. I imported nearly 180,000 assets of which 7800 were faulty. Of that I ditched 2000 of them and the rest were blanket fixes which included simple config.txt updates, and texture issues. The usual tools worked fine including my trusty Search and Replace Master for fixing some errors in bulk. This was done in the earlier days when T:ANE was first released, which proved quite difficult.

These errors, by the way, were always there and they were ignored in older builds. The once imported, issues I have seen with the older content is mostly that they are old and not quite as detailed as the current stuff. I still use them though because I have them and they work well in many places. A good example are those great and wonderful Cityscape buildings by Dave Drake. (dmdrake), which look better today than they ever have.

Recently I imported portions of two routes I had built in TRS2004 and TRS2006. These are the original versions of my big New England route, which date back to December 2003 and early 2005 respectively. They came in quite well, all things considering their age and yucky texturing process, and bad track laying by a newbie, however, they proved to have some nice elements which I've updated and merged into my big route again. With a little bit of updating (a lot of texture fixing), tracks replaced, updated and straightened, and trees updated, it's quite amazing how everything looks. What's really amazing is the draw distances we now have. What I envisioned before now comes to life like it never did and with the better game engine, I can increase the details without the computer having a stroke.

The other important thing to say on this is that the Content Repair Group (CRG) has been busy repairing and testing assets. The group has made great progress and is now below the 6000 asset mark. Again being older, they may not be suitable for all cases, but in many cases they work just as well as the newer content and suit the purpose well.

John

mmm... "Content Repair Group". Not aware of such. And come to think, once an asset is repaired, is it available at the DLS? Probably, but I was not aware of it. Do they accept trouble assets? Is it part of N3V, or independent? Anyhow it is very interesting.

mmm... "Content Repair Group". Not aware of such. And come to think, once an asset is repaired, is it available at the DLS? Probably, but I was not aware of it. Do they accept trouble assets? Is it part of N3V, or independent? Anyhow it is very interesting.

CRG = dedicated group of Trainz volunteers. They have been mentioned a few times by Tony in various places including the newsletter.

The assets are then uploaded, after testing, to the DLS.

They may accept troublesome assets, however, there's a bigger project to pick through the 5000-plus remaining ones on the list first.

As for NEXT, why not wait an see what it actually becomes and then buy or don't buy based on the merits and not on some idle speculation.

Hi All,

As this current stage this is the best quote ever .... !

Martin, John, and myself, among a few sprinkles here and there already laid it out --- Even Tony kicked in his 2 cents!

To debate it 'what if" is waste of time!

Bottom-line; when it gets here the community will buy "Next" if it fit your needs, regardless of what you have said!

Even myself have posted negative remarks about other sims games just to paly the demo later, and actually enjoy it! But human tense to jump off the bridge, and then realize, oops, left my parachute at home! :hehe:

Ish

The only thing worse than the fanboyz who see everything positive and sunny are the boobirdz who see everything negative and dark. Reality is almost always some shade of grey in between. As for NEXT, why not wait an see what it actually becomes and then buy or don't buy based on the merits and not on some idle speculation.

Why run to extremes? Surely nothing wrong with discussing an evolving situation.

Consider this: last February we got a lot of razz about the NEXT Big Thing, which got pretty thoroughly shot down in flames. What happens then is that real work has been (is being - see above re SP2) done to make TANE the sim we were promised. So, a lot of effort that I suggest was planned to be expended on the NBT has gone instead on improving TANE. So, we now have the TANE that was intended to be one of the selling points for NBT, to bring in those not interested in MP.

It is because of the (extra) work on TANE - that we pushed hard for - that I see both TMR and NEXT as bolt-ons. And it is also the reason I suggest that the TANE we have (will have with SP2) will serve those who have no interest in MR or MP for the foreseeable future.

In a nutshell: TANE is probably better now than nev originally planned (enjoy the irony).

Consider this: last February we got a lot of razz about the NEXT Big Thing, which got pretty thoroughly shot down in flames.

To be fair, most of the flames had nothing to do with the direction that was announced.

What happens then is that real work has been (is being - see above re SP2) done to make TANE the sim we were promised. So, a lot of effort that I suggest was planned to be expended on the NBT has gone instead on improving TANE.

Nothing has changed with our approach to T:ANE. We are committed to improving the product over time, and as Tony indicated above we have a set amount of man-power dedicated to that task. This was true before Tony posted about "Next", and is still true now.

kind regards,

chris

Bottom-line; when it gets here the community will buy "Next" if it fit your needs, regardless of what you have said!

Just watch how this forum will lose their **** when Tony starts soliciting for pre orders or another important sounding but ultimately irrelevant "council".

Anyhoo thanks John.

Those that want to pre-order will and those that want to contribute will also do so. :eek: Those that don't won't. :wave:

Just speaking for myself,

I like when a new product is announced, and seeing how it pans out week by week, month by month -- Of course, I reserve passing judgement until the product hits the streets, and folks get to play with it, and then come here to either praised it, or cry about it; But besides that note, I enjoy all of the hints, and news bits! I have since trainz 3.1! --

Ish

Just speaking for myself,

I like when a new product is announced, and seeing how it pans out week by week, month by month -- Of course, I reserve passing judgement until the product hits the streets, and folks get to play with it, and then come here to either praised it, or cry about it; But besides that note, I enjoy all of the hints, and news bits! I have since trainz 3.1! --

Ish
Same here, except started with Trainz UTC!

Just watch how this forum will lose their **** when Tony starts soliciting for pre orders or another important sounding but ultimately irrelevant "council".

No, just a few very predictable individuals. I prefer to taste the dish before criticising the chef.

This is a very old topic, but I guess the powers that be are probably still mooting the idea of a subscription service. If so, my two cents:

I understand that the organisation behind Trainz is a business and that, in order to sustain a business and grow it, income must continue to flow and increase year on year. If it doesn't, then the investors may as well pull their money out of the company and stick it in a low-yield bank savings account instead. Each new version of Trainz, and each bit of Payware that is introduced, will produce a new revenue peak at launch time, but then it will plateau and slow from a revenue stream to a revenue trickle. The idea of a "Repeating Subscription Game" makes commercial sense. From a personal player viewpoint, whether or not I "buy into" the new Trainz would depend on financial affordability.

For me, as a hardcore Trainz fan, the First Class Ticket at about £25 a year, is an almost essential purchase. However, if I had a personal emergency that meant I had to tighten my belt, I could let my First Class Ticket (which is like an annual "subscription") expire and it wouldn't stop me playing the game. It would mean slow downloads, a daily cap on how much I could download and maybe I would have to retain old copies of some updated assets for a while. However, I could still carry on with my Route/Session building, I could still go and just play Trainz. If "Little Johnny" (or his grandad) gets a copy of Trainz for his Birthday or Christmas, and no one gives him any pocket money, not having a First Class Ticket isn't the end of Little Johnny's world (or his grandad's)! Indeed, with the list of assets included with T-ANE, the Deluxe or Platinum versions would keep him busy for quite a while without access to the DLS!

With a "Subscription Only Service", if I had to let it lapse, I imagine I would be "bombed out" of the game and that is why I would like those that sit around the "round table", and kick the commercial ideas around, to consider the impact on the entire customer base and not just those with good careers and healthy finances. As we know from this forum, we have people from all walks of life among us - as well as wealthy professionals, we have schoolchildren, retired people, people with long-term sickness issues, people "between jobs" etc. so keeping our hobby both affordable and enjoyable is essential.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
Sterrett, many thanks for your very realistic posting at #318 of this thread which I would recommend all forum members to read and absorb. If I may be allowed to expand on what has been stated in that posting as I believe that the Trainz scene has very much changed since this thread was originally created by the N3V management.

In recent weeks N3V have stated that the staff numbers within the company will be expanded not only to bring forward the new PC version (Trainz Next) but also a new versions of Trainz for IOS and Android on their mobile platforms. The foregoing I feel (if N3V has the resilience to carry those plans through) will bring a whole new outlook to the Trainz franchise which will have to be reflected in this forum if the those very ambitious plans put forward by N3V fully meet with the success that they deserve.

Gaming on all platforms has become much more expensive in recent times as the cost of a PC, it’s components and phones capable of high end mobile gaming has rapidly increased. In the foregoing the widest market therefore needs to be captured by N3V across all platforms, for in that the largest user base will be obtained. Success in that would bring forward the benefits of scale which can then be passed on to that expanded user base in terms of holding down cost to the benefit of all categories of user within this community.

However, in the above an “adjustment” of perspective is required within this forum so as to more fully encompass platforms other than windows PC. Mobile gaming has grown to become financially more than 50% of the total revenue gained from the gaming platform worldwide. This forum must begin to reflect that and “get behind” N3Vs endeavours to create itself an increased share of that market.

In the foregoing, the IOS (iPad, iPhone) and Android sections of this forum are very much neglected. To try to gain more interest I have created a thread in the Android section in regard to the phones that possibly may be required to run the new Android version of Trainz. I feel we need similar on the IOS section and someone from N3V can perhaps also post on those sections advising on the forthcoming versions.

Success with the new versions would benefit this whole community and add security to this gaming interest into the future.

Bill

Last edited:
This is a very old topic, but I guess the powers that be are probably still mooting the idea of a subscription service. If so, my two cents:

With a "Subscription Only Service", if I had to let it lapse, I imagine I would be "bombed out" of the game and that is why I would like those that sit around the "round table", and kick the commercial ideas around, to consider the impact on the entire customer base and not just those with good careers and healthy finances. As we know from this forum, we have people from all walks of life among us - as well as wealthy professionals, we have schoolchildren, retired people, people with long-term sickness issues, people "between jobs" etc. so keeping our hobby both affordable and enjoyable is essential.

Thank you.

The idea of the Subscription-Only-Service is for multi-player/multi-user access for Surveyor and will not affect the main program, which according to the powers to be say will work just as we have grown to love and hate with Trainz as it's been around since its beginnings.

During the testing, as a member of the Trainz Dev group, I had the opportunity to "test" the multiuser aspect of Surveyor. This was quite interesting and worked well for a test, though it did crash due to various technical issues which still need to be worked out. In some ways this is like those early airplane tests where a wing design goes together only to find the plane on the ground way too fast! The ability to work on a route and then let someone else work on an area was quite interesting, though we were limited to a small content set of built-in assets.

The potential here for such a program is obvious, especially for those that are involved in large collaborative projects where a route in its multitude of versions gets passed back and forth between users before coming to fruition. Having been involved in a couple of such projects, I can see this kind of addition to be more than welcome. With the multiple versions existing on various PCs, among various users, there's that bigger chance that a wrong version gets passed along, or something gets lost along the way. With everything in one place, the difference is obvious.

As far as being a permanent way of doing things, we were told no that's not the case. We can use T:Next, or whatever it'll be called, just as we use T:ANE now and have used Trainz in all other previous iterations. When anyone wants to work on a bigger project, they can subscribe to the multiuser Surveyor option. When the route is completed, it's downloaded and used locally just as we do today. The subscription only is active as long as the service is used or needed. With that in mind, I can only barely fathom the infrastructure needed on the server side to support the operations of something like this, thus, the necessity of a subscription to subsidize the cost.
With this in mind, I see this as a VR model railroad club which fits right in the sub-product TMR2017 in that vein.

As Tony mentioned recently in the newsletter a few weeks ago, the data changes made in the latest T:ANE version with all those data chunks takes this type of operation into account so that the route data can be handled both locally as well as online, and to allow us to handle huge Trainz routes well beyond what our own PCs, generically speaking can handle.

Last edited:
Back