Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Collector post for off-topic posts to: Can you guess the next key feature for Trainz?

You just came out with tane. Yet here you are moving on the next one. Atleast use something like Unreal Engine 4 this time. Honestly, if you use it, transfer all the functions of ts12 and tane. Youd have a badass game with great features and accessibility that would put you above the rest. Especially with content creation and surveyor. But, thats all on you to decide. I honestly think tane should be finished first.
    Last edited by trainman7616; February 5th, 2016 at 08:37 AM.

Steam is King.

United States of America, Indiana, Liberty

Rather than an SP2 I wish they's get it right the first time, before they release it. I paid for Tane then I had to pay $25 more for SP1. I can't download due to my rural slow internet connection. It would have taken 8 hours to download SP1.

iannz - our posts crossed, so I will answer yours here.

Please check how many bugs were fixed in the latest Microsoft or Apple update (or Steam or 1,000 other software programs). The reality is that software has bugs, some minor, some major. Under your utopian concept of not releasing TANE until it is bug free (and by the sounds of it, that means not even releasing it today) then there would be no TANE at all. Our doors would be shut, and you would all be elsewhere since these forums, the DLS and any Trainz support would not exist - those are the commercial facts. We are not announcing that we are abandoning TANE development (read the news release - it heads the list) and we will continue improving the foundations we have laid.

The question is which strategy would you prefer? Our current path - a future that is currently looking bright (with a profitable company planning future releases), or a past that includes an obituary to N3VGames which would have closed down while trying to attain the impossible dream of a bug-free release?

Thankfully, (even though the people on these forums may not believe me since I am often accused of lying when I present the commercial facts that don't match people's pre-conceived notions) TANE is selling really well. Our mobile division is also doing really well with Trainz Driver Journeys adding significantly to our iOS revenues. Not only that, the recent survey that several hundred people have completed indicates that TANE is their favourite version of Trainz ever (sure there is a bias there, but the point is, lots of people are very happy).

Would we love to have released TANE SP1 a year ago? For sure! Did we choose to keep it under our pillow until the time was right? Of course not.

We worked as hard as we could with the resources we had, and that is our ongoing strategy from here on (but now with a smaller, but far more sustainable team). We don't sit around twiddling our thumbs and ignoring the feedback. Our goal is to achieve everything on the lists above and far more. The best method to achieving that goal is to either wait a long time or to generate more sales, increase staff numbers and achieve the goals quicker.
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Quote Originally Posted by craighale View Post
    Rather than an SP2 I wish they's get it right the first time, before they release it. I paid for Tane then I had to pay $25 more for SP1. I can't download due to my rural slow internet connection. It would have taken 8 hours to download SP1.
    It takes me 10-12 hours to download in the city, which means it's done by morning. Of course the disks will take even longer (and cost more as you say).
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

United Kingdom, South Yorkshire, Sheffield

I left last year when I saw TANE going steadily down hill and out of sight into a dark tunnel, and now I have been reading some of these comments.
    It looks to me that I had made the right decision, how the news letter has the nerve to say that TANE is the best peoples choice, with a strait face, I will never know. You don't even have the fundamentals working correctly.
    Best Wishes ____
    Jonathan________

What about getting the TANE to work nicely on a 64 bit laptop?
    Most computers nowadays are showing that laptops are becoming more popular than the home towers now.
    However, laptops still struggle with high graphics programs.

United Kingdom, Lancashire Merseyside, Liverpool

The past is the best thing you could hope for in the present to be able plan ahead for the future. One of the most common observations in trainz is that every time we move onto another version of trainz then the fixing and repairing starts. This has to be one of the biggest setbacks facing the trainzers. Stay with what you have or move on. Eventually they will end up out in the cold because there is no longer any support for that version. To move on or move forward then should not involve hundreds of hours of sorting and fixing. Some of the bugs and errors never were fixed in the previous version and possibly are still present in the new.

I would prefer to stay with the version I have now and upgrade it. I realise that it is all about business and returning a profit Tony so lets get that out of the way. Following some of what you have seen posted here then I think it would be better to build on T:ANE with upgrades or service packs and call them what you will. I would be a lot happier to pay for an upgrade than start again from scratch. It makes sense that you would only be able to go so far with that but at least you would have (possibly) more customers and a level of satisfaction within the trainz group, which ought to promote further sales.

Make no mistake, N3V's reputation and credibility has taken a bit of a dent and efforts need to be made to restore that. There was a lot in TS12 that worked and people are abandoning T:ANE and going back to it. Each to his own then but N3V needs to look back and assimilate. There has to be a better way to go forward and it has to be a way that will take a loyal following with it.

Regards
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    That surely would only apply if the Stretch Goal target for funding was achieved (which it wasn't). If the money was raised for any Stretch Goal then we would be obligated to deliver the feature (as we did with the 4th goal which was achieved 4 months after the cut-off date for funding). Since the supporters did not provide the funding, the obligation ends.
    Don't mention the KickStarter. I mentioned it once and I didn't get away with it.

I promise not to mention the KickStarter again, if you promise not to run one again

make the weather and lightning system as shown in tane target graphics video
    CORE I5 6500 >GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER B7>24GB VENGANCE LPX>EVGA GTX 1070 SC>COOLER MASTER COSMOS SE>KINGSTAON 240GB SSD*SEAGATE ITB>

Default a game

a fully working game right out of release would be cool

United States of America, Floatin' Along the Delaware River
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silverstarX View Post
    a fully working game right out of release would be cool
    Users with legal, registered versions would be cool, too.
    Eat More Popsicles.

United States of America, Floatin' Along the Delaware River
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuggles58 View Post
    Most computers nowadays are showing that laptops are becoming more popular than the home towers now.
    Unfortunately, most are lacking in the horsepower department. By next year, tablets/phones should exceed laptops and desktops combined, but the hardware on those devices isn't even close to that of a laptop, let alone a desktop. The moral of the story is, just because some forms of computing are popular, doesn't mean they're suited to the job. Even with a modern desktop, you have to dial back at least some settings for T:ANE to run well.

The trick - for both N3V and users - is to find a good trade-off spot based on what's available at the moment.
    Eat More Popsicles.

The issue with Procedural Track and it's update problems must be resolved !!!!!! And we are waiting for the long promised Sliding Chairs under the blades!!!

Properly. Support. AMD. GPU's.

I don't have temperature issues like everyone else because of solid 3rd party cooling, but constant CTD's are a pain in the arse!

While we're at it, don't go backwards. No 32bit support is needed. Don't scale back graphics targets. Actually release a working product rather than making us wait extended periods for patches.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by nuggles58 View Post
    Well it's working fine on my laptop here, The problem for laptops and the main reason why many people don't game on them, is due to the hybird GFX cards they have setup.

Sure a Nvidia or AMD chip can be on the sticker but that doesn't mean it's the main GFX card, with intel and AMD pretty much only releasing laptop CPUs with an inbuilt GFX card in the CPU, laptop makers generally have the CPU running everything and you require an external monitor or setup the nvida or AMD GFX chip - control panel to make it work on the Nvida or AMD GFX chip in the laptop.

And you can't always turn off the intel GFX chip on every laptop sold.

So if you are getting bad performance then you should make sure trainz is working on the right GFX chip, Nvidia control panel does allow trainz.exe to be selected so you can force the Nvidia handle the graphics.

You also have the other problem of laptop GFX chips which aren't the same as the desktop chips they will run slower and have some things cut out so help reduce battery or heat problems, for example NVidia will have 680 desktop chips and 680M laptop chips they ain't the same chip though.
    Last edited by Zagan; February 5th, 2016 at 01:02 PM.