Can you guess the next key feature for Trainz?

That picture represents the AI driver confused in what direction to go. NEXT this way....NEXT that way.....NEXT stop and think about it......
With Interlocking Towers, I think they are going to pursue more user AI driver control, paths and decisions, in complex crossovers to get the driver
going where directed.

Last edited:
Finally an (optional) business model in TRAINZ! i say "optional" because I know there has been an equally vociferous group over the years who have been against that idea. Way before TRAINZ, even way before PC's there was Model Railroader magazine. Back in the 50's or 60's they had a series on "Card order operation for Trains." I would like to see something of that type here. I've never been able to get my head around what Trainz does have along those lines. Maybe my fault, or maybe as posted earlier in this thread we need more detailed wiki's (on lots of subjects!).

If Trainz is going to maintain its place in the market, and not lose a huge share to the emerging EEP sim, it needs to firm up its signalling. Trainz is sloppy in this area - whereas EEP is so rock solid you can run the game almost as a signalman.

I wish.

I think we need to think more high level instead of getting bogged down in details. I like PerRock's observation of the image. Either a better / different Physics or a new way to control AI trains.

Or better dressed drivers?

Improve our playtime with the following features:

1. Return of the ENGINE SHED with PAINT SHOP and SERVICE SHEDs, complete with functional service yard for diesel and steam, turntable, etc.

2. HUMP YARD, complete with graphically functional control tower interior.

This would help turn TRAINZ into a more realistic operational railroad. I would fund new Kickstarter campaigns for these BIG EXPANSIVE new features.

Thanks!

Casimir

If Trainz is going to maintain its place in the market, and not lose a huge share to the emerging EEP sim, it needs to firm up its signalling. Trainz is sloppy in this area - whereas EEP is so rock solid you can run the game almost as a signalman.

I wish.

Agreed. I've been trying to do my part towards this goal. I had hoped for more of a dispatcher's module along the lines of Train Dispatcher or something of that sort. Or, at least, the APIs to create one.

I would like to see a sort of "air traffic control" system, similar to that of FSX, for trains. Not just a purely signal-based system either, but one with radio communication, an announcement-reply system, etc. I'm hoping that might be on the radar for the next Trainz, even if it's not the next big thing.

Realistic derailments with collisions?
I really do hope there will be a SP2 for Tane.

Realistic,with mangled bodies, blood everywhere and all the misery that train accidents bring?
Good to know that that is what turns you on.
Mick

I'm basically happy with everything as it is, but would like everything to work as it is supposed to.
Mick

Last edited:
In regards to the Physics, I've a feeling that it could include things like the weather affecting how much traction there is on the rails (hence recreating the dreaded leaves on the line situation).

No idea what it WILL be, but I would really like full support for the RailDriver console. Built-in support, not with the macro works.

A version of the game in which one doesn't need to be an IT guru or have a first class degree with honours in computer science in order to play the game!

Rob.

1) Once a route has been opened in driver mode, it is no longer possible to open it in surveyor to change anything on the route. I'd propose changing this so that I could run a route for a while, save it, edit the saved version, and resume operating on the changed route.

2) A reflective material like scotchlite (R) which is found on (nearly) every locomotive and piece of rolling stock in the US, and on most high way signs, and on many truck trailers.

3) A utility that would open a route map, allow the user to mark a portion of the map, up to a baseboard, and generate a file (or set of files) which would generate a ~.csv file showing the elevation of each grid line intersection within the marked portion.

ns

Improved AI and the ability to timetable trains would be my preference because it would have a wide appeal.

For pure 'gamers'; having a timetable to keep to would be the basis of 'objectives' to be met (& points etc) - and before people jump in and say there are already timetables, you are referring to the schedule for a single train driven in a single session, this is NOT a timetable.

For Route & Session creators; having the ability to create a timetable would add a whole new dimension, especially for Sessions.

For people who just like running a railway the potential would be virtually unlimited.

Speaking as someone who does a lot of work on the scenic side I would love to see new features, enhancements and many minor improvements for terrain building and ground texture painting.

Chris M

1)

3) A utility that would open a route map, allow the user to mark a portion of the map, up to a baseboard, and generate a file (or set of files) which would generate a ~.csv file showing the elevation of each grid line intersection within the marked portion.

ns

That I fully support and wish for in ages!

Linda

Think people are missing the point, we are supposed to be guessing what it is from the image in the first post, it's not a wish list.

Back