Can you guess the next key feature for Trainz?

n3vpolsen

Administrator
key_feature.jpg

With work underway for the next version of Trainz,
can you guess which direction we are headed?

Have your say below and see if you can pick what key feature is on the way!

UPDATE: We have moved some off topic posts to this thread and would remind people that you should keep your response on topic - we are looking specifically for the ONE KEY FEATURE that you think would make all Trainz fans excited about the upcoming product.
(Some of the posts not moved barely meet this requirement, but they were posted before we added this additional information so they get to stay in this thread).

Economic, Fat Controller, Overseer, Strategy, Godlike type thing.

Also noticed a Halflife symbol in there....

regards

Realistic derailments with collisions?
I really do hope there will be a SP2 for Tane.

Hopefully they will update the people and cars and make them much more realistic . Maybe a little more controls in the cabs of all the engines .

A gluten-free version of Trainz where all wheat-based commodities and cargoes are removed from consists?
Naah - Probably not.

How about a Despatcher's Version? Where you command the entire railroad network from your Centralized Traffic Control base and ensure the safe and free running of all the AI traffic, both passengers and freight throughout the network. And collect revenue from the transport of passengers and freight until the Hyperloop alternatives blow the economics of heavy rail out of the water?

A gluten-free version of Trainz where all wheat-based commodities and cargoes are removed from consists?
Naah - Probably not.

How about a Despatcher's Version? Where you command the entire railroad network from your Centralized Traffic Control base and ensure the safe and free running of all the AI traffic, both passengers and freight throughout the network. And collect revenue from the transport of passengers and freight until the Hyperloop alternatives blow the economics of heavy rail out of the water?

Oh I do like that one!!

But for me something that attracts me back to the fold. After being here since 2000,I left in 2014, bored. I have not missed it for over a year now, and I am not enthused thus
far with what I can see. Payware is not for me, I'm afraid. Can go to EA for that!

Personally I'd like to see further AI enhancements in the next version (if they don't appear in the current one via hotfixes) like proper timetabling (which I know was one of the stretch goals that unfortunately didn't raise enough funds to get that feature).

nuggles58 - I cannot see that happening personally as 32-bit is rather restrictive on how much can be added in a scene.

Shane

How about a version of Trainz Surveyor on Steroids, where maps can be procedurally generated from ArcGIS Earth or Google Earth imagery?
Together with more-refined world-building tools and 3D terrain generation tweaking capabilities, prototypical routes can then be created from suitable satellite or orthographic aerial imagery?
AND/OR a version of Trainz compatible with Microsoft's HoloLens so we can build 3D layouts by manipulating 3D HoloLens-rendered objects in the virtual reality digital work space projected around us as we work?

Last edited:
A version that helps me loose weight would be good.
Failing that can we please have reference material (wikis or something) that explains how things work/ how to do things in fairly simple language. I look things up only to find there's no information, or it's too obscure and I don't know where to go to try and understand. The manual and top level stuff is ok, but trying to go a bit deeper is difficult. I expect the info is there, but disorganised?
Thanks.

A car forwarding system with a database. Be able to set up the database and the cars automatically get destination. Working hump yard.
A working portal that works in single and multiplayer were you can create traffic in and out of the route to simulate traffic flow etc etc etc.

Possibilities:
1) Realistic Derailments
2) Winter mode in trains and objects with blizzard sounds
3) Ilumination with globes and traffic light's light glow over the paviment
4) Floods, puddles
5) Repaint shop for everybody
6) Wheel slippery
7) Stations with interior
8) New T:ANE Routes
9) Maybe all or none of them?

Having read the newsletter and the related web page a few times I can only conclude that "NEXT" might be some acronym for the "Key Feature". However, I've no idea what it might be. "Networked", "eXtreme", ??? I hope it's not a full networked version only like other games. Multiplayer is not my cup of tea.

Trainz Driver 2016, I believe, will be a great intro for those who just want to drive trainz and just might want to take the Next step :))) into a real Trainz world.

Yea, for the Model Railroad idea as well. PhilSkene should like that. His basement railways are my favourites.

Work on the DLS has been discussed extensively elsewhere and few would argue with that.

Personally, I like to see the NeXT Trainz start to take full advantage of the 64 bit architecture, using all those processors in model CPUs and taking full advantage of the graphics afforded by higher end GPUs. Ok, I know T:ANE does use some of that stuff but I think we can do better.

Speaking as a third-party tool developer: How about something similar to the Trainz Mesh Importer program, that allows for data-driven route construction via XML files describing terrain, splines, static object placement, and so on?

Also, I am very much looking forward to the Model Railroad additions...

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
I go along with both of Will0065's suggestions. A proper manual which covers a degree of detail unlike the current manual which does little more than explain where to find the menus and what each entry provides. Link in a few realistic examples perhaps some attached videos as third party and payware sites have to promote their add-on's. If you are not sure where to start sift through this forum and catalog what people are asking for help with.

Oh, Will0065's second suggestion, how to loose some weight of cause, perhaps some real track laying. Peter

SP1 was a great improvement on the first release of TANE. If we are talking about an SP2 update, I would like to see the ability to add track and trackside structures in real time. OK go all the way and do away with surveyor and combine real-time construction in driver mode. Now that would be an update... Moving people and traffic and all...:)

Back