Navigate/ Drive to Trackmark Command not working.

jdude24

Whenever i go to tell a train to navigate to a track mark, doesn't matter what map, the ai will never take over and wont run that command.
Any suggestions on what may fix it?

Well, jdude24, there can be a bizillion reasons why the driver won't move. Well, ok, maybe not a bizillion but there are many. I sometimes get a driver that won't do anything and have to start the troubleshooting process. Not knowing the route you're working with I have to guess at what might be the easiest way to help you but maybe you can try this:

1. Click on the route you want to work with and go to the sessions associated with that route.

2. Hilight and click edit to open the session you want to work with or if it only has the Default session click on create a new session.

3. Immediately save the session as a new session naming it "Test 1" or whatever you want as you're going to be troubleshooting your problem.

4. If you don't already have the locomotive placed on the route, place it now where you want it. Change the name of the loco to something easy to find (the running number works well).

5. Place a new trackmark a short distance (maybe a couple hundred meters) down the track in the direction you wish to travel but before any signals, junctions, etc. that you can locate. Name the trackmark something easy to remember so when you put in the driver command it's easy to find. You only want straight empty track for the first test. You're trying to get the driver to move the locomotive which will be a big achievement considering what you've been going through. (Been there and done that.)

6. Now go into the session edit and open up the driver commands. Assign a driver to the locomotive you've added and give the driver a "Drive to" command to the trackmark you've just placed. (Try to always use the "Drive to ..." or Drive via ..." commands as the "Navigate to/via ..." commands have problems with routing.)

7. At the top of the Session Edit dialog is an area you can describe what the session does. In that area, type in what you've just added to the session so you can keep track of the troubleshooting process. All the default commands needed for this simple testing are already in the session so there's no need to add new commands or rules to the session.

8. Save the session and exit Surveyor.

9. When you're back in the Session menu, click on your new session, say it's "Test 1", and then click on Drive Session.

With any luck at all (fingers crossed) the the driver will wake up and drive to the trackmark. If the driver doesn't move, then there is possibly something directly in front of the locomotive that's not letting the driver proceed. If there is no movement and you're sure you have the correct diver giving the correct "Drive to trackmark" command then you'll need to work on the Test 1 session. I would open up the session and click on the map view and look for anything between the locomotive and the new trackmark you're trying to drive to. If there is no signal, broken track, bumper, etc., just straight uninterrupted track, then I'm out of ideas what's going on.

Now if the driver did move to the new trackmark, you're getting somewhere and you can go to the next step of the process.

10. Open up session Test 1 and then save it as Test 2.

11. Leave the locomotive where you placed it in Test 1.

12. Add a new trackmark down the track some distance from the one you added in Test 1, again, naming it something you can remember. Place the trackmark some distance past the first track location and maybe past a signal, junction, etc. toward where you want toward the final destination. You're trying to figure out what's locking out the driver command so a step wise process is probably the easiest.

13. Open the Session Edit dialog and change the driver commands by adding the new trackmark (i.e. to the right of the first command). Note that you can use the "Drive via ..." command to have the driver drive to the first trackmark and then use "Drive to ..." for the next trackmark.

14. Edit the session description adding the next trackmark.

15. Save the session and exit Surveyor.

16. Drive session "Test 2"

Hopefully, the driver will get to the next trackmark you've placed. If not, look hard at the track in Surveyor between the two trackmarks. Use a close up view as sometimes the signals are dwarfs and very hard to pick out and the map view to see if you can see if a junction doesn't have a switch lever, the lever is too far from the junction, the track is not connected, etc. If you can't see anything, move the trackmark back towards the first trackmark and rerun the session. Repeat that step until you can get the driver to move to the second trackmark. When that finally happens, you'll have a darn good idea what part of the route is holding out the driver.

Repeat the above steps but sequentially adding trackmarks until you can get the driver to your final destination. Yeah, it's not fun sometimes and can be frustrating as all get out.

I've had to resort to building a scaled down, bare bones (flat track on bare baseboards) copy of a complex set of track work I had built so I could come up with a set of commands that would get the driver through a set of loadings and yard switchings. The main route had long yard tracks with low track speeds so any testing took a considerable amount of time so I scaled everything down and with no scenery so the sim would loaded and run quickly. It took several hours to build the test route (and I added to it several times to test more ideas) but it was well worth the effort. I found out various commands and rules that would work better than others and some that were just too complex to work with my session. I learned a lot with that effort and glad I did it.

Hope all the above can help you out a little bit.

Take care,

Don's method is excellent for finding problems such as this.

In the past I have sat in the cab of one of the drivers and gone for a ride to see where the problem is. Instead of letting the driver complete the whole route automatically, I'll ride along and issue commands one at a time as I run the route manually and under my control.

As the AI runs along through the track marks on the specified route, it narrows down to that section which is causing the problem. Eventually the one driver will issue a "No path to selected destination" or something like that. At that point, I will drive myself and see what's up. Sometimes this means exiting the cab and watching for problems. These can be anything from a missing junction lever, or an incorrectly facing direction marker, which you can see on the map only and of course in Surveyor.

In other cases, I have run across broken rails due to me not connecting a segment properly. These look fine, with the circles over each other, but they are not connected. The AI sees it this way, and will not drive past out of fear of derailing. Sometimes I've had a disconnected track at a fixed object such as a station platform, road crossing, or some other industry. This too is usually caused by the same issue, or sometimes because I've adjusted the ground underneath which disconnected the track without me noticing.

Sometimes it's easier to forgo a drive and manually walk the line in Surveyor. Move along slowly as you hover over the tracks and while searching for missing junction levers, broken track segments, and reversed track direction markers. For the broken track that I keep mentioning, the best way to find these and fix them is to level the track by clicking once on the raise track height. Once the track is leveled, the circles should turn yellow. The only circles that will remain white are those on fixed track objects such as industries, stations, and road crossings, as well as other fixed track objects. If you see any white circles on spline track, you have a problem that may very well be the cause of your drivers balking at driving the route.

John

Just an idea.

The method I use for finding broken splines is plop a 2-4 unit mini consist and slide along the rails with the move button engaged. anytime the consist "stops/jumps" I found the buggers.

Well, jdude24, there can be a bizillion reasons why the driver won't move. Well, ok, maybe not a bizillion but there are many. I sometimes get a driver that won't do anything and have to start the troubleshooting process. Not knowing the route you're working with I have to guess at what might be the easiest way to help you but maybe you can try this:

1. Click on the route you want to work with and go to the sessions associated with that route.

2. Hilight and click edit to open the session you want to work with or if it only has the Default session click on create a new session.

3. Immediately save the session as a new session naming it "Test 1" or whatever you want as you're going to be troubleshooting your problem.

4. If you don't already have the locomotive placed on the route, place it now where you want it. Change the name of the loco to something easy to find (the running number works well).

5. Place a new trackmark a short distance (maybe a couple hundred meters) down the track in the direction you wish to travel but before any signals, junctions, etc. that you can locate. Name the trackmark something easy to remember so when you put in the driver command it's easy to find. You only want straight empty track for the first test. You're trying to get the driver to move the locomotive which will be a big achievement considering what you've been going through. (Been there and done that.)

6. Now go into the session edit and open up the driver commands. Assign a driver to the locomotive you've added and give the driver a "Drive to" command to the trackmark you've just placed. (Try to always use the "Drive to ..." or Drive via ..." commands as the "Navigate to/via ..." commands have problems with routing.)

7. At the top of the Session Edit dialog is an area you can describe what the session does. In that area, type in what you've just added to the session so you can keep track of the troubleshooting process. All the default commands needed for this simple testing are already in the session so there's no need to add new commands or rules to the session.

8. Save the session and exit Surveyor.

9. When you're back in the Session menu, click on your new session, say it's "Test 1", and then click on Drive Session.

With any luck at all (fingers crossed) the the driver will wake up and drive to the trackmark. If the driver doesn't move, then there is possibly something directly in front of the locomotive that's not letting the driver proceed. If there is no movement and you're sure you have the correct diver giving the correct "Drive to trackmark" command then you'll need to work on the Test 1 session. I would open up the session and click on the map view and look for anything between the locomotive and the new trackmark you're trying to drive to. If there is no signal, broken track, bumper, etc., just straight uninterrupted track, then I'm out of ideas what's going on.

Now if the driver did move to the new trackmark, you're getting somewhere and you can go to the next step of the process.

10. Open up session Test 1 and then save it as Test 2.

11. Leave the locomotive where you placed it in Test 1.

12. Add a new trackmark down the track some distance from the one you added in Test 1, again, naming it something you can remember. Place the trackmark some distance past the first track location and maybe past a signal, junction, etc. toward where you want toward the final destination. You're trying to figure out what's locking out the driver command so a step wise process is probably the easiest.

13. Open the Session Edit dialog and change the driver commands by adding the new trackmark (i.e. to the right of the first command). Note that you can use the "Drive via ..." command to have the driver drive to the first trackmark and then use "Drive to ..." for the next trackmark.

14. Edit the session description adding the next trackmark.

15. Save the session and exit Surveyor.

16. Drive session "Test 2"

Hopefully, the driver will get to the next trackmark you've placed. If not, look hard at the track in Surveyor between the two trackmarks. Use a close up view as sometimes the signals are dwarfs and very hard to pick out and the map view to see if you can see if a junction doesn't have a switch lever, the lever is too far from the junction, the track is not connected, etc. If you can't see anything, move the trackmark back towards the first trackmark and rerun the session. Repeat that step until you can get the driver to move to the second trackmark. When that finally happens, you'll have a darn good idea what part of the route is holding out the driver.

Repeat the above steps but sequentially adding trackmarks until you can get the driver to your final destination. Yeah, it's not fun sometimes and can be frustrating as all get out.

I've had to resort to building a scaled down, bare bones (flat track on bare baseboards) copy of a complex set of track work I had built so I could come up with a set of commands that would get the driver through a set of loadings and yard switchings. The main route had long yard tracks with low track speeds so any testing took a considerable amount of time so I scaled everything down and with no scenery so the sim would loaded and run quickly. It took several hours to build the test route (and I added to it several times to test more ideas) but it was well worth the effort. I found out various commands and rules that would work better than others and some that were just too complex to work with my session. I learned a lot with that effort and glad I did it.

Hope all the above can help you out a little bit.

Take care,

I will try that, but in the mean time I have noticed that some track marks work and others don't, so I'm not sure what is wrong with those track mark marks compared to the others .

If some track markers work while others don't it could be a number of things, however, there's a quick and easy one to check for.

There's a bug that was introduced when splines such as grass and fences were classified as track objects. This caused track marks and other track-objects to attach to these splines and not to the track they are supposed to be on.

This caused some interesting issues such as AI buzzing through and completely ignoring track marks and direction markers and signals not changing to their proper aspects as trains past or approached. On one particular route, I fired my AI drivers and reassigned their routes again, figuring something had gone weird with their schedules. Nope! That didn't fix it. At the last resort, I decided to rebuild the culprit areas and when I moved the catenary off this particular section since this is a trolley route, I noticed the direction markers were attached to the catenary wires like Christmas ornaments! Wow!!! I went along and noticed a few other areas had the same issue and once I fixed those, there were no longer any issues with it.

John

Found the Solution

After testing a couple things, reading all the suggestions, and thinking about it, my problem was i had switches named the same as the track marks and that was causing the issue of the ai not knowing where to go. So thank you to all you helped out and coming up with the fix to my problem!

James

After testing a couple things, reading all the suggestions, and thinking about it, my problem was i had switches named the same as the track marks and that was causing the issue of the ai not knowing where to go. So thank you to all you helped out and coming up with the fix to my problem!

James

I'm glad you solved your problem. Now that's a 'nother one for the old book.

John

Woohoo! Great, James!

I get the warning message ever once in a while when I inadvertently try to name two items the same. Sometimes it doesn't maker but, in your case where they are both track items, yeah, that will be a problem.

And, yes, I've done what John suggested several times also. I've found track that worked but needed adjusting (height, kink, etc.) also by riding along in the loco cab.

Take care and glad you found the problem,

I name all my junctions ` (the lowercase of ~) ... and all my AI trainz drive via meticulously named trackmarkers

Trainz does not drive via junction names

Back