Sound problems

flyboy559

Using Trainz since 2003
I'm having a problem with engine sounds. A large number of them work just fine until the locomotive gets up to about 9 or 10 miles per hour, then just cut out. Does anybody else have this problem and/or know how to fix it? Deleting the sounds and downloading them again did nothing.

Which version of trainz? I noticed it happening in 10 more than 2012. When I got my new system I was using the onboard audio and noticed problems, disabling 3d sound (2012) helped. I have since found drivers that work with windows 10 for my external usb audio interface (lexicon lambda) and all seems to be working relatively well.

I'm using 2012 and have the 3d sound disabled.

TS12 always had disgusting sounds especially with the stuttering. TANE just has disgusting sounds that cut out without the stuttering, which has been reported. This still seems to get worse too with big sounds like those in JR locomotives.

John

Yeah I have this too, with both TS 12 and TANE. John is right in that it affects JR's locomotives especially, but it is an overall problem. For me it happens notably after I save and reload. I can drive a long route, say UMR for 20-50 miles in one shot and not have an issue for the most part. But once I stop, save and reload, the sound deteriorates with each save and reload to where after 2 or 3 , the game becomes totally unplayable for me and I just quit the session in disgust.

I thought at first it was something with my system and TS 12, I use onboard sound, but it also happened once I started using TANE. I thought maybe that once I upgrade to a new computer that it would fix things but seeing how others are having issues I'm not so optimistic. I've pretty much decided to stop playing the game until I get my new machine, but if it is going to continue I may just not even bother until it can be fixed, if it can be at all.

Yeah I have this too, with both TS 12 and TANE. John is right in that it affects JR's locomotives especially, but it is an overall problem. For me it happens notably after I save and reload. I can drive a long route, say UMR for 20-50 miles in one shot and not have an issue for the most part. But once I stop, save and reload, the sound deteriorates with each save and reload to where after 2 or 3 , the game becomes totally unplayable for me and I just quit the session in disgust.

I thought at first it was something with my system and TS 12, I use onboard sound, but it also happened once I started using TANE. I thought maybe that once I upgrade to a new computer that it would fix things but seeing how others are having issues I'm not so optimistic. I've pretty much decided to stop playing the game until I get my new machine, but if it is going to continue I may just not even bother until it can be fixed, if it can be at all.

I thought the same when I got my new super gaming motherboard, but it did nothing. I even thought that if I put in a discrete soundcard from Sound Blaster that would fix the problem, it did not. So it seems the sounds just suck. With the sound cutting out, I keep the volume down pretty low because after awhile I feel as though my ears are plugging and unplugging like they've been flooded with peroxide, and eventually I get a headache from it.

I feel the same way you do especially with other problems I've been encountering lately.

John

In the 4+ years I've been using trainz I have yet to resume a saved driver session lol...too much building..truth be told I'm afraid of disappointment and losing will to actually finish my route. I'm going to have to test this and see if using a pro interface helps any.

I'm glad to "hear' it's not just me.

I have a feeling I'll be putting T:ANE on the shelf for a bit and do other things until the fixes, if they ever show up, get put in.

I suppose I'm just tired; frustrated is more of a better description for it.

TS12 always had disgusting sounds especially with the stuttering. TANE just has disgusting sounds that cut out without the stuttering, which has been reported. This still seems to get worse too with big sounds like those in JR locomotives.

John
This seems to be related to the engine sound as changing the sound to one I know works fine gets rid of the problem. I was just wondering if there was a way to fix the ones that were doing this. JR locomotives actually work fine for me, its mostly steamers.

With steamers you get the problem, if they are using some old style sounds. The old sounds use single chuffs when starting, and switched to looped sounds at a certain speed. The new sounds use the same chuffs when starting, but switch to rpm dependent loop sounds.

Peter

I have a feeling I'll be putting T:ANE on the shelf for a bit and do other things until the fixes, if they ever show up, get put in.

I suppose I'm just tired; frustrated is more of a better description for it.

I'm going to see what happens once I get the new machine. If it's still a problem I will probably do the same thing. I started playing with that "other" train sim and while it has it's limitations and differences from Trainz, I'm finding it enjoyable.

For me sound issues mostly have to do with steamers and especially when i swap from one steam to another i also noticed that some contents have sound compabitability with each other and some others fail even to produce any sounds at all.Not to mention some unacceptable sound effects from rolling stock that totally ruin the steam engine sound.I will try to disable the 3d sound if it is some sort of a cure.

With steamers you get the problem, if they are using some old style sounds. The old sounds use single chuffs when starting, and switched to looped sounds at a certain speed. The new sounds use the same chuffs when starting, but switch to rpm dependent loop sounds.

Peter
I was afraid of that. I guess I will just have to find replacement sounds for a lot of them then.

Some good steam engine sounds are the 'Steam Soundz:' by wva-usa, others are the 'Steam Engine Sound' by trw1089.

Peter

Back