I'd like to apologise for the lack of new tutorials/guides from me...

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if this is in the wrong place, please put it in the right place.

Hi Trainzers,

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't written any new tutorials lately, which I apologise for (and I feel that I'm failing newer users as a result).

Part of it is due to issues on setting up a re-design of TrainzTutorials.com due to content management system issues, as well as having to deal with quite a few non-Trainz issues. Both of my existing tutorial sites are still running though alongside the tools held on the two sites.

I know that at least one user has requested a tutorial on using the T:ANE patcher - I am still looking into it but it's likely to take time now.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Shane

So, some of us haven't made any new objects recently either. Nothing to apologize for. This is a hobby where everyone should only be doing what they like to do when they have the time to do it. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this hobby. Don't over do it.

Makes sense there Martin although it does make me feel that I'm failing some users in the process especially on areas where the current documentation isn't helping.

Shane

You have nothing to apologize for, nor are you failing anyone. You have no obligations to anyone here, you do what you do because you choose to and it is appreciated by most I'd wager. You make up for N3V's failings in many areas and that's shame on them, not you.

Thankyou boc61 (and martinvk - I forgot to thank you for your response so I will do so now).

Something I am also interested in knowing (as a bit of a side-topic) is whether my tutorials are at the right 'level' or whether they are too technical.

Shane

Thankyou boc61 (and martinvk - I forgot to thank you for your response so I will do so now).

Something I am also interested in knowing (as a bit of a side-topic) is whether my tutorials are at the right 'level' or whether they are too technical.

Shane

I haven't gotten around to looking at them yet, I will today. I'm not particularly technically inclined so if I can understand them , anybody will be able to.

I went through your tutorials. I think they are nicely done and not overly technical at all. This is the first time I looked at your site in general and it is well done and a valuable asset to the game.

Moderators - if this is in the wrong place, please put it in the right place.

Hi Trainzers,

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't written any new tutorials lately, which I apologise for (and I feel that I'm failing newer users as a result).

Part of it is due to issues on setting up a re-design of TrainzTutorials.com due to content management system issues, as well as having to deal with quite a few non-Trainz issues. Both of my existing tutorial sites are still running though alongside the tools held on the two sites.

I know that at least one user has requested a tutorial on using the T:ANE patcher - I am still looking into it but it's likely to take time now.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Shane

Anyone following the beta tests would be well aware of your AI issues, CMS issues and other work you have been doing. You have been helping a lot of people here, and that is always appreciated.

I do have a link to your tutorials on my desktop and ectually - I was there yesterday looking at something. So there!

Take time, All is well that ends well. :D

Anyone following the beta tests would be well aware of your AI issues, CMS issues and other work you have been doing. You have been helping a lot of people here, and that is always appreciated.

I do have a link to your tutorials on my desktop and ectually - I was there yesterday looking at something. So there!

Take time, All is well that ends well. :D

Thankyou Saieditor for your response.

At the moment my main challenge is trying to find a suitable CMS to power what will be the re-launched TrainzTutorials.com that will hopefully allow other users to submit their own tutorials as well.

Shane

If I were you I think I would stand in the corner and have a beer
And just think of what I have done
Or
Just get things done in your own time without any pressure

At the moment my main challenge is trying to find a suitable CMS to power what will be the re-launched TrainzTutorials.com that will hopefully allow other users to submit their own tutorials as well.

Shane

What sort of tutorials do you have in mind? I'd like to see, and perhaps write, more content creation tutorials.

Like you, I don't mind writing tutorials but, as Martin and others have said, this is foremost a hobby and there are only 24 hours in a day.

I confess I had to laugh when you talked about writing a tutorial for the T:ANE patcher. There are just too many permutations and it is really N3V's job. In any case, I think Tony did a reasonable job of a difficult task.

Perhaps a tutorial on using the new Content Manager effectively might be more useful. Ian Woodmore has written quite a few posts about it but they probably got lost in the fog.

Hi Paul,

At the moment my first job on the tutorial side will be to bring over the existing tutorials onto the new site once it's ready (and once I've got a suitable CMS in place - it doesn't help that I'm limited on certain factors by what my webhosting company supports).

However, I can look into content creation ones if needs be although it's one that I'm likely to need input from others (one reason why I'm trying to sort a suitable system out that allows others to submit their own tutorials).

In terms of Content Manager, I'm hoping to sort a basics guide for that as well as possibly guides for individual functions later down the line.

In terms of the patcher, it's mainly a case of what options are on what screen so that users don't get lost. I know there are several permutations but they all seem to follow virtually the same install process (it was another user who requested such a tutorial as I believe they were having problems with the existing guide - it could be that there are no images on the current version).

Shane

One of my updates/patch was a disaster and I've done dozens of them. This was the one for the DRM free version. In the end I just blew the existing installation away, installed from the original DVD and followed the process described on the N3V update page.

Because I wanted a "dev" installation for the content I make, I got my digital version (DRM) working and then just copied the whole thing to another drive, amended the map file and the shortcut and it was off and running. Very simple if you know what to change.

One of my updates/patch was a disaster and I've done dozens of them. This was the one for the DRM free version. In the end I just blew the existing installation away, installed from the original DVD and followed the process described on the N3V update page.

Because I wanted a "dev" installation for the content I make, I got my digital version (DRM) working and then just copied the whole thing to another drive, amended the map file and the shortcut and it was off and running. Very simple if you know what to change.

Makes sense. I've had a couple of problem patches in my time as well although I ended up reinstalling after installing the wrong patch to my 78660 install before the corrective patch was released.

Shane

Back