Radeon Graphics Crashing in T:ANE

An Update guys.
Ah,... It's so good to be able to launch T:ANE, spend six hours solid on Surveyor, open multiple 'other' programs at the same time, with no stuttering, no freezing, no over-heating and no crashes. Then with a Draw of 10,000, 'stretch' the sliders to High or Ultra and jump into the Driver's seat of a heavily detailed route, then really enjoy the game that you love.

This has finally happened.

And it's because I should have taken proper precautions way back before T:ANE was initially released. I knew that T:ANE was something special but I didn't realise for it to work properly, your computer needs to be FULLY functional. We all get slack as we get older and my CPU is 5 years old and some of the parts inside it were beyond its 'Use-By-Date'. Just because we may not understand the complete workings of a computer doesn't mean we shouldn't look after it.

I increased the RAM from 6GB to 16GB and now I have faster loading of all programs.
I updated my Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 Video Driver to a GeForce GTX 960 4GB Gaming Video Driver and now I have far better and far sharper graphics than I had before.

There are two things that the average person doesn't even think or worry about each time they use a computer; and that is dust and heat. Two very important 'house-keeping' things that need to be addressed regularly. Dust can build up on the blades of fans causing an unbalance to its operation, it becomes sluggish and overheats trying to work harder. The second thing is if your computer overheats when your games are under full load, then you may need to re-apply Thermal Paste to the cooler or heat-sink system. Unless you are familiar with the internal workings of a computer then a technician is advisable to handle this. So watch your temperature.

I had always tried to keep my computer as 'dust-free' as possible but still it needed a thorough clean in the areas I couldn't get to plus an overhaul. My overhaul included adding fresh thermal paste, and a good brand if applied correctly will last me another 3 years. Now, my computer runs at a much lower temperature (about 10 degrees less) than previously and even under heavy load.

I've come to the conclusion, that if I go to the doctor for health check-ups for myself, then I also need to provide a check-up at least once a year for my computer. If I do, then it is less likely to break down on me.

Cheers,
Roy3b3
Intel (R) Core™ i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07 GHZ 2.53GHZ,
64 Bit OS Van Tec 6200 (620W),
HD: 1TB Seagate Sata3 32MB Cache,
RAM: 16.0GB,
Display Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
Direct X 11.0
Monitor: AOC 2450W 1920 x 1080 60HZ

Guess I now join this club. Just got TANE today on DVD. Lost Trainz 2009 when 8 year old Vista machine died in September. Installed TANE, did first tutorial. Went to play in create layout. Got an irregular oval of track laid and now program has been frozen almost 10 minutes. Can minimize and enlarge window and that's it.
I'm not the world's greatest computer geek and my health is a mess.
After installing and starting TANE it did something like updating 11,982 Asset translations. I know what assets are but not what an asset translation is.
Okay, tech stuff. This PC was new in October. Is ASUS I don't remember what they call it.
And this is the first game I've put in it.
Processor: Intel Core i5-6400
Memory: DDR4 8G
Graphics: NVIDIA Gforce GTX970 4GB
I have no idea what the game card is but this thing was bought with intent to eventually have TANE and Kerbal Space and it is the kind of thing where the monitor only plugs in down where the game card is in back.

With my health what it is I don't need to go tinkering deep in this thing.

In TANE I'd set draw distance to 2000m. Texture detail to low. And reduced a few things at bottom list I don't remember what they were.
Going to restart TANE and see what happens.

And I forget where to get the build number from. The box, the DVDs, and the paperwork don't have anything saying 'the following is the build number'.
Remember an opening screen of 2006/2009, I forget which it was, showed build number.
Will see if TANE restarts and shows that.
If not, I guess I'll never know.
Err, grumble.

edit - had to resort to task manager to shut down TANE.
edit 2, build is 74702.
edit 3 - this time I got as far as laying track, the first one wasn't saved, adding a shack, a man and a cat, before program froze.
edit 4, okay pokiing around just found where to set shadow and water quality
and where to find updates with patch installer.
edit 5 - and now that's been stuck on waiting for the program to close safely for enough minutes that I'm cancelling.
edit 6 - ya know what, screw TANE, I'm going to go paint some more miniatures game figures, those work the first time every time unlike this crap.
edit, no need now to apply brain effort to suggesting things. Its frozen up enough more times after only a few minutes use that I uninstalled it and threw way the disks, I'm not going to screw with that kind of hassle. Not worth the difficulty in using the thing.
Good thing I only wasted half price on it.

Last edited:
Back