Radeon Graphics Crashing in T:ANE

I've been experiencing the same problems and I'm getting frustrated with the constant 'Freeze, blank screen, then a message saying "Graphics Driver has crashed and Recovered" - I have a AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 - Version 14.5, and I also had previously installed AMD Gaming Evolved. However, I found it also ran in the background and used valuable memory, so I uninstalled it. However with all the sliders moved to 'low' and shadows 'off', the problem still exists. My Video Driver is nearly 5 years old so it's about time I made some changes ... My local "Computer GURU" told me that I needed at least a 4GB video driver to make TANE work better.

So, ... I'm now awaiting the delivery of a new GEFORCE GTX 960 4GB GAMING Video Driver to arrive this week plus an upgrade to my RAM from 6GB to 16GB. Only then, will I be able to know just how far the game can extend on my system.

Once installed, I'll repost.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

Hey Guys, Since my last post about the AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5-V 14.5 driver that I had installed,... Well here's an update.

There was a delay in the delivery of a new GEFORCE GTX 960 4GB GAMING Video Driver (another week), ... however in the meantime, I have upgraded my RAM from 6GB to 16GB.

What a huge difference it makes, particularly in downloading volumes of assets at a time, multiple browsers and programs - my CPU can now handle more than I can throw at it.
Also my Computer 'Guru' Technician, suggested I open 'Task Master' while I had 'heavy asset' games running, just to see what drain on the CPU and Video Driver were impacting.

I set all my 'sliders' to 'Ultra' or 'Max' with 'Post Processing, etc' activated; and I noticed during an ECML run, to move from Cab View to Chase View, the temp rose from 48 degrees to 75m degrees and the drain on the RAM jumped from approx 4.1GB to 10.5GB (sudden rush of graphics, I assume). Then I ejected from the train while it was still running and right-clicked across the terrain to some townships. The temp rose to 79 degrees and the RAM went to 11.8GB - It was then that my Video Driver decided to go back to its old habits; and I got a black screen, keyboard and mouse were frozen, had to shut down from the ON/OFF switch and re-start the program again. I had pushed it too hard.
When I checked the history of CPU Problems, the same old story was,... "Graphics Driver has crashed and Recovered".

So, I'm now eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new Video Driver. I'll keep you informed.
Cheers,
Roy3b3
PS: Generally whilst editing T:ANE in Surveyor now, I don't need to save my work every 5 minutes,.. the extra RAM just seems to make life a little easier.

Last edited:
Essentially TANE and AMD/ATI cards just don't sit together at all well. Wasn't SP1 supposed to address this or did it just get tossed in the "too difficult" bin?

Essentially TANE and AMD/ATI cards just don't sit together at all well. Wasn't SP1 supposed to address this or did it just get tossed in the "too difficult" bin?

Feels like every developer is doing it at the moment... I'll be waiting for Polaris and Pascal before deciding what brand of card to get next however...

I was thinking the same thing!

It's frustrating, a motivational killer, and a headache! now that TANE crashes.

It seems that the beta-testers tested TANE with NVidia cards, and forgot or neglected not to bother with AMD cards.

Before SP1 TANE ran great on my AMD card, with all latest drivers; But now with SP1 it just crashes.

I've decided to shell the TANE for now -- Hopefully next patch fixes / addresses these' issues!

Ish

I was thinking the same thing!

It's frustrating, a motivational killer, and a headache! now that TANE crashes.

It seems that the beta-testers tested TANE with NVidia cards, and forgot or neglected not to bother with AMD cards.

Before SP1 TANE ran great on my AMD card, with all latest drivers; But now with SP1 it just crashes.

I've decided to shell the TANE for now -- Hopefully next patch fixes / addresses these' issues!

Ish

Beta Tested With Asus R9 390 and I reported a lot of information to N3V Beta Staff of this issue and yep the crashes continue and frustrate the piss out of me especially tonight.
Shadows seem to make the crashes happen more frequently..... I mean seriously, an R9 390 8GB just a tad overclocked bombs when utilizing 1.4GB of VRAM CRASHING.........
And as I was told over and over, " We have a R9 290 Test Vehicle and "It runs fine........"
Add to that the nice artifacting from reflections from water......

I also love how T:ANE causes my GPU to go from 32c to 65c...... No other game does this.....
As a result, I have to use GPU Tweak and have a special profile that when I am on T:ANE my fan is @ 80% to keep it below 60c and it sounds like a jet engine......
If I do not, the card past 70c will shorten its life and I get flickering galore in T:ANE when my levels reach above 63c........

Then top that off with the DRM-Free patch which then makes T:ANE absolutely a pain in the arse with crashing thus had to return to DRM 80349.......

BUT WAIT: We're discussing Trainz Next........ For me, Trainz Never Again....

Last edited:
Beta Tested With Asus R9 390 and I reported a lot of information to N3V Beta Staff of this issue and yep the crashes continue and frustrate the piss out of me especially tonight.
Shadows seem to make the crashes happen more frequently..... I mean seriously, an R9 390 8GB just a tad overclocked bombs when utilizing 1.4GB of VRAM CRASHING.........
And as I was told over and over, " We have a R9 290 Test Vehicle and "It runs fine........"
Add to that the nice artifacting from reflections from water......

I also love how T:ANE causes my GPU to go from 32c to 65c...... No other game does this.....
As a result, I have to use GPU Tweak and have a special profile that when I am on T:ANE my fan is @ 80% to keep it below 60c and it sounds like a jet engine......
If I do not, the card past 70c will shorten its life and I get flickering galore in T:ANE when my levels reach above 63c........

Then top that off with the DRM-Free patch which then makes T:ANE absolutely a pain in the arse with crashing thus had to return to DRM 80349.......

BUT WAIT: We're discussing Trainz Next........ For me, Trainz Never Again....

Hello there, sir

Surely, I know the frustration -- we are all in the same boat!

For me, I'll try again down the road to re-install --- so, I won't completely shell the game since I have so much contents at the DLS ... But nevertheless, if someone told u from N3V that AMD cards are fine with TANE Sp1, with all due respective to N3V staffers, that's not true -- At least to the folks out here who ARE experiencing issues!

*With the help of a dear friend financially , I built a new PC for TANE, and yet I can't fun the game ... :'(

Anyhow, as much as I like to create and built contents, with TANE, must step back and reflex.

Very Kind Regards
Ish

I have a AMD A6 CPU and a ATI R-270 GPU, all the stuff that everyone says doesn't work, and I haven't had a crash in months.
Mick

Same here, running Win 10 pro, with a Radeon R9 200 series & apart from a small amount of stutter in built up areas, no probs.
Haven't had any crashes to desk, despite running the whole of the ECML in 2 sessions of over 2 hours each.

I have a AMD A6 CPU and a ATI R-270 GPU, all the stuff that everyone says doesn't work, and I haven't had a crash in months.
Mick

Hi there, ...

Well, it's like a marriage with these things ... while it will work for others, might not work for others, etc ...

Obviously., it doesn't work for me, TANE that is, and I have tried all the suggestions mentioned above --

It's like me saying, TANE never crashed before SP1, which it didn't, but yet TANE crashed on vast amount of people before SP1. The opposite goes for me.

So, we're back to square one!

Hopefully N3V fixes these issues with their next Hotfix or, etc ...

Regards
Ish

Hi there, ...

Well, it's like a marriage with these things ... while it will work for others, might not work for others, etc ...

Obviously., it doesn't work for me, TANE that is, and I have tried all the suggestions mentioned above --

It's like me saying, TANE never crashed before SP1, which it didn't, but yet TANE crashed on vast amount of people before SP1. The opposite goes for me.

So, we're back to square one!

Hopefully N3V fixes these issues with their next Hotfix or, etc ...

Regards
Ish

Sorry if I sound smug, that was not the intention. I will admit that I do have shadows disabled. Maybe I should see what happens when I turn them on. But I'm not keen on tempting fate that way.........
Mick

Last edited:
Sorry if I sound smug, that was not the intention. I will admit that I do have shadows disabled. Maybe I should see what happens when I turn them on. But I'm not keen on tempting fate that way.........
Mick

Oh, no, sir, I didn't get that from your post, and no need for apologies!!! :wave:

With trainz, with all been there ... one doesn't know how it's going to behave with each hot fix, patch, etc ...

I'll do an entire overall re-installed when I get around to it again, and see what happens! Then I'll update this thread!

Kind Regards
Ish

Ish

This is not my opinion but that of others on the Web.
Have you tried using an old driver from around the time the card was released? That is actually suggested on a couple of gaming sites for AMD cards over 2 Years old as they apparently stop optimising drivers for older cards at around the two year mark and supposedly new drivers introduce bugs which may or may not affect your setup. This may or may not be a load of rubbish however worth a try at least?

if that doesn't help which it may not, have a look here at the blurb for the latest AMD Crimson Hotfix released on the 4th Feb especially at the large number of bugs fixed and also at the large number still listed as known issues, scroll down the page to see the lists.
Doesn't inspire confidence does it?
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...rimson-Edition-16.1-Hotfix-Release-Notes.aspx

Now I'm not saying issues with drivers crashing overheating and such isn't down to N3V, however looking at the problems on that list it could just as easily be AMD's drivers at fault. Point I'm making is there is no such thing as a perfect driver.

Very grey area these days ascertaining who is at fault with graphics issues especially when a problem does not affect everyone.

Nvidia are not free from problems either, last driver update, effectively a hotfix, along with a load of other stuff, fixed overheating and idling problems with some cards for example but many on the Nvidia forums are still using very old drivers, 3 to 6 months old due, to issues with the current ones, which although some problems were fixed a lot were not plus some new ones introduced, which may or may not affect individual users.

This is not my opinion but that of others on the Web.
Have you tried using an old driver from around the time the card was released? That is actually suggested on a couple of gaming sites for AMD cards over 2 Years old as they apparently stop optimising drivers for older cards at around the two year mark and supposedly new drivers introduce bugs which may or may not affect your setup. This may or may not be a load of rubbish however worth a try at least?

if that doesn't help which it may not, have a look here at the blurb for the latest AMD Crimson Hotfix released on the 4th Feb especially at the large number of bugs fixed and also at the large number still listed as known issues, scroll down the page to see the lists.
Doesn't inspire confidence does it?
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...rimson-Edition-16.1-Hotfix-Release-Notes.aspx

Now I'm not saying issues with drivers crashing overheating and such isn't down to N3V, however looking at the problems on that list it could just as easily be AMD's drivers at fault. Point I'm making is there is no such thing as a perfect driver.

Very grey area these days ascertaining who is at fault with graphics issues especially when a problem does not affect everyone.

Nvidia are not free from problems either, last driver update, effectively a hotfix, along with a load of other stuff, fixed overheating and idling problems with some cards for example but many on the Nvidia forums are still using very old drivers, 3 to 6 months old due, to issues with the current ones, which although some problems were fixed a lot were not plus some new ones introduced, which may or may not affect individual users.

Hello Malc, and thank you for your post, very informative, sir!

Actually, on this same thread someone suggested using an old driver, and see how that goes. Haven't tried that because I have decided to clean out TANE, registries, etc .... and do a complete re-install! -- Someone also suggested on another threads that, sometimes, when patches are applied to a beta-version things might not run as smooth as they should; So, it's why a clean install will be done down the road.

Also, the new update that you pointed out, sir, is actually new news to me! (Thanks you for point it out) -- the software does inform me of such updates, but
since this PC I am using now is not the same the PC were TANE and the new video card are install, so I wasn't aware of the update, I barely use the new pc!

Lastly, I built the new PC specifically for TANE -- I must admit that befoe I had issues TANE ran so bueatifully on the new PC, that it was like wow -- I recall John telling me that I was lucky I had no crashes at all, etc LOL .... pre-SP1.

Yes, sir, I do agree with your comments, no video card regardless of model, is ever perfect -- Still, to be fare to N3V, I'll do a complete re-install at a later time, since I need to vent for a couple of weeks, and update this thread as necessary!

Thanks again, Malc, for your insight!
Ish

Oh, no, sir, I didn't get that from your post, and no need for apologies!!! :wave:

With trainz, with all been there ... one doesn't know how it's going to behave with each hot fix, patch, etc ...

I'll do an entire overall re-installed when I get around to it again, and see what happens! Then I'll update this thread!

Kind Regards
Ish

Well I tried it with shadows enabled. Still no crashing but abysmal performance, 7fps and no sound. But the shadows don't look good to me as they don't appear on scenery objects so it's very unrealistic. So I'll leave them turned off.

Well I tried it with shadows enabled. Still no crashing but abysmal performance, 7fps and no sound. But the shadows don't look good to me as they don't appear on scenery objects so it's very unrealistic. So I'll leave them turned off.

Good Morning, sir, and thanks for the info! :wave:
Kind Regards
Ish

They do on the High and Ultra Shadows setting however obviously that isn't going to do much for your performance!

I haven't experienced a single crash with video card driver failure since I installed the drivers from 2014 . I've had 1 crash to desktop but that was my own fault caused by importing content from a separate ts12 install and overwriting an existing building with a train vehicle that used the same kuid number !

I'm having more problems at the moment with TS12 than TANE with the on going server problems , Though that's been partially resolved by blocking TS12's access to the net via my firewall .

I haven't experienced a single crash with video card driver failure since I installed the drivers from 2014 . I've had 1 crash to desktop but that was my own fault caused by importing content from a separate ts12 install and overwriting an existing building with a train vehicle that used the same kuid number !

I'm having more problems at the moment with TS12 than TANE with the on going server problems , Though that's been partially resolved by blocking TS12's access to the net via my firewall .

Try this Dave, put the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 in TS12 settings as a proxy, TS12 can't connect and stays off line and you can leave the internet plugged in and easier than messing with the firewall. If you want to go online with it just untick use a proxy server.

Hey Guys, Since my last post about the AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5-V 14.5 driver that I had installed,... Well here's an update.

There was a delay in the delivery of a new GEFORCE GTX 960 4GB GAMING Video Driver (another week), ... however in the meantime, I have upgraded my RAM from 6GB to 16GB.

What a huge difference it makes, particularly in downloading volumes of assets at a time, multiple browsers and programs - my CPU can now handle more than I can throw at it.
Also my Computer 'Guru' Technician, suggested I open 'Task Master' while I had 'heavy asset' games running, just to see what drain on the CPU and Video Driver were impacting.

I set all my 'sliders' to 'Ultra' or 'Max' with 'Post Processing, etc' activated; and I noticed during an ECML run, to move from Cab View to Chase View, the temp rose from 48 degrees to 75m degrees and the drain on the RAM jumped from approx 4.1GB to 10.5GB (sudden rush of graphics, I assume). Then I ejected from the train while it was still running and right-clicked across the terrain to some townships. The temp rose to 79 degrees and the RAM went to 11.8GB - It was then that my Video Driver decided to go back to its old habits; and I got a black screen, keyboard and mouse were frozen, had to shut down from the ON/OFF switch and re-start the program again. I had pushed it too hard.
When I checked the history of CPU Problems, the same old story was,... "Graphics Driver has crashed and Recovered".

So, I'm now eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new Video Driver. I'll keep you informed.
Cheers,
Roy3b3
PS: Generally whilst editing T:ANE in Surveyor now, I don't need to save my work every 5 minutes,.. the extra RAM just seems to make life a little easier.

Hey Guys, I'm back from hibernation after waiting over two weeks for the delivery of my new "GeForce GTX 960 4GB Gaming Video Driver" which was installed this morning. With additional RAM increased to 16GB, I'm now seeing faster loading of all games for TS12 and T:ANE. I'm delighted to see sharper graphics than my previous AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 - Version 14.5 could provide and I think the extra GB makes a difference.
I immediately moved the 'sliders' up to high or ultra on textures, water, shadows, etc , and have finally seen a vast improvement (so far) no stuttering or freezing yet. I had been running both TS12 & T:ANE on Direct X previously but I found a slight improvement in TS12 with Open GLI (a little smoother in Surveyor) but I'm still running Direct X in T:ANE. It's still early days but overall it looks like a step in the right direction.
A couple of screenshots taken a few minutes ago.
2016_02_12_144909.jpg

2016_02_12_145450.jpg

Trying out a NSW CitiRail 'H' Set on my Redcliffe Line.

Cheers,
Roy3b3

Good Morning ---

Finally, got this working!

My journey ---

1, deleted TANE ... did a window's search, and deleted all files related to trainz.

2, ran a few registry cleaner (freeware programs do a great job) to clean out all of Trainz registries!

3, defrag registries (again using freeware program for this)!

4, Restart PC.

5, search for trainz and all related files NOTHING WAS FOUND!:)

6. Installed TANE ... took about 20+ mins since I was running to and fro

7. From Trainz setting plugged in the necessary info

8. TANE did a data base repair on it's own.

9 When Tane finished, I restart the PC ... (Refreshing the pc for the next long steps)

10. I have already downloaded the patch that I needed, so no need to waste time downloading -- Good to have it handy.
APPLY PATCH.

11. Took a while. After that was done I restart pc.

12 Launch TANE SP1 free DRM -- It started to do what it needed to do -- Took about 10min, and then launched!

13. NO issues ... no crashes.

ALL in all, the most important thing is to clean out all and any TANE previous install files! This will conglict with any re-installation ... so DO NOT OVERWRITE, or INSTALL in the same directory .... Just delete it all completely! --- NOTE: this is an entire day thing so leave a day to focus on this! Also, reboot PC with each complete step, etc ... it's a great habit to get into! As you we know, rebooting pc sets it back to new, etc ... LOL

Lastly, visist this link:
TANE SP1 - time for some feedback

FIND POST #127 --
He gave detail of his configurations using the AMD window settings!
I have also applied his suggestions, as an extra precaution.

No crashes with latest drivers installed -- check out Malc's link on this thread to get latest drivers!

Good Luck Guys --- hope this info is useful for you!
No expert here, just lots of patience!!!

Ish

Last edited:
Back