Radeon Graphics Crashing in T:ANE

wtierce

I have never really posted anything in the forum until this point, but I felt this was necessary because google searching wasn't helping. When I am trying to run T:ANE, at random times while playing, my graphics drivers crash, and then the game is freezes, and I have to force close. I wasn't having any issues up until I installed the SP1 pre-release for Christmas, and the higher updates. I am running build 80349 which is the highest as far as I know, and am running the newest Crimson drivers from AMD on an Radeon R9 270x 2Gb. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems and what the fix for this is. I havn't been able to play because of this.

I haven't personally had that happen (apart from the very early builds before T:ANE was released) but I do know that AMD's addon program (AMD Gaming Evolved, also known as Raptr) can cause some strange problems. If you've got that installed, might be worth disabling it's in-game overlay feature or even uninstalling it and see if that helps.

Shane

I actually read a post about that but I uninstalled that a little while ago because for me it was just wasted hard drive space. I don't get any error messages, just "Graphics Driver has crashed and Recovered."

I guess you're running Trainz with shadows enabled, wtierce? Since I had the same issue on my computer I tried different graphics settings and with disabled shadows there aren't anymore AMD display-driver related crashes. I had mentioned this problem over there in the game-bug-form and got in contact with the Trainz-beta-test-support but -until now- without anything which could help me to enjoy TANE with shadows. ^^

Greetings

Thank you, I will try that, I hope that they do something about it, the shadows are one of the best graphical features of T:ANE.

I've been having the same problem using an ASUS Radeon R9 290X . After much testing (including trying 5 different video card drivers going back as far as 2014) I found with the latest 16.1 drivers that I had to set a game profile for TANE in the Radeon settings . In that I had to set all of the basic settings to either "off" or "Use application settings" . I then had to use the profile overdrive section . In that I had to set power limit to -5% , Fan speed to 50% and I under clocked my VC memory from 1350 to 1200 Mhz .
( Extreme Caution must be exercised when using that section as the wrong setting could seriously reduce or terminate the life span of a video card !!!)

Doing the above its stable-ish ! Most of the time it will run without crashing but you do still get the odd crash .

I keep trying to embrace TANE in hopes of moving on from TS12 (TS12 completely stable using these drivers) but these random crashes are spoiling it for me , Having to constantly save work every few minutes just in case it throws a wobbler again !! N3V and a few of the kickstarters on here keep blaming the drivers but as I've proved above the drivers aren't at fault . Build 78667 caused no problems and will happily run using these latest drivers . At the end of the day we shouldn't have to be tinkering about with settings with our video cards just to stop a program from crashing , Poor performance in game is one thing but causing Video card drivers to constantly crash is completely wrong !

Dave, has that R9 290X got the bios switch on the circuit board? Should be 2 options, silent and performance mode, think it ought to be on performance which presumably would up the fan speeds without having to tweak the thing. Should be a toggle switch on the top near the back? Worth a try I guess.

I have never really posted anything in the forum until this point, but I felt this was necessary because google searching wasn't helping. When I am trying to run T:ANE, at random times while playing, my graphics drivers crash, and then the game is freezes, and I have to force close. I wasn't having any issues up until I installed the SP1 pre-release for Christmas, and the higher updates. I am running build 80349 which is the highest as far as I know, and am running the newest Crimson drivers from AMD on an Radeon R9 270x 2Gb. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems and what the fix for this is. I havn't been able to play because of this.

I've been experiencing the same problems and I'm getting frustrated with the constant 'Freeze, blank screen, then a message saying "Graphics Driver has crashed and Recovered" - I have a AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 - Version 14.5, and I also had previously installed AMD Gaming Evolved. However, I found it also ran in the background and used valuable memory, so I uninstalled it. However with all the sliders moved to 'low' and shadows 'off', the problem still exists. My Video Driver is nearly 5 years old so it's about time I made some changes ... My local "Computer GURU" told me that I needed at least a 4GB video driver to make TANE work better.

So, ... I'm now awaiting the delivery of a new GEFORCE GTX 960 4GB GAMING Video Driver to arrive this week plus an upgrade to my RAM from 6GB to 16GB. Only then, will I be able to know just how far the game can extend on my system.

Once installed, I'll repost.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

Double checked the switch and it was still in performance mode , Toggled it to silent and back to performance just in case . I stripped the computer down the other night to see if the video card was seated correctly (it was) , all the connections where tight and there wasn't any accumulations of dust .

Double checked the switch and it was still in performance mode , Toggled it to silent and back to performance just in case . I stripped the computer down the other night to see if the video card was seated correctly (it was) , all the connections where tight and there wasn't any accumulations of dust .

Well it was an extremely long shot!

One avenue I'm currently investigating is the fact the sim doesn't seem to crash with the internet disconnected (cable from computer to modem simply pulled out) . Even with the settings I posted above I had a VC driver crash 9 minutes into running the GCR route . Since then I've rebooted the computer and decided to try without the net connected . 2 runs so far without any crashing , First run lasted about 20 + minutes , The equivalent of managing to drive from Nottingham to Leicester including a 2 minute stop of Loughborough . Journey was mostly confined to the cab . Second trip I only ran for about 10 minutes (before I terminated session) but this time I jumped out the train at various places and flew about the scenery as fast as possible to push the draw rate from the card and it didn't crash . More testing required !

Hi,

Same here --- However, the previous beta versions worked without crashing, and you and I have almost the video card and drivers -- I stared a thread on this and someone suggested that DRM-Free patches, once installed, may cause a crash, and re-installing the whole game might fix it, but haven't tried that yet --- Still, I can related to your situation! :'(

I guess you're running Trainz with shadows enabled, wtierce? Since I had the same issue on my computer I tried different graphics settings and with disabled shadows there aren't anymore AMD display-driver related crashes. I had mentioned this problem over there in the game-bug-form and got in contact with the Trainz-beta-test-support but -until now- without anything which could help me to enjoy TANE with shadows. ^^

Greetings

I'll try this suggestion, and see what happens!

N3V and a few of the kickstarters on here keep blaming the drivers but as I've proved above the drivers aren't at fault . Build 78667 caused no problems and will happily run using these latest drivers . At the end of the day we shouldn't have to be tinkering about with settings with our video cards just to stop a program from crashing , Poor performance in game is one thing but causing Video card drivers to constantly crash is completely wrong !

Totally agree -- Like I said above, all TANE patches, except for the DRM-Free patch worked like a charm -- No joy with latest patch! I'll try the above suggestions, and see what happens!

Kind regards to all

Ish

Disconnecting the net was a dead end as TANE has just crashed again . Getting fed up with this now !!

Hello there, sir

I feel for you -- I haven't touch TANE since it crashed on me like 10x -- I figure I put aside for now, and try the suggestions, and /or re-install from scratch at a later time ... If not, I'll pull my teeth and hair out due to frustrations! --- Thing is, I got a new PC for it, and yet it no joy!

Go figure! :'(

Anyhow, if you figure it out I'll keep an eye on this thread!
Good Luck!

Ish

I turned off the shadows and that seemed to fix it. I am happy I seem to be able to play now, but disappointed I don't have the shadows anymore.

Greetings

Finally tried running the game with no shadow, but back to the drawing boards .... it still crashes!

Next step -- reinstalling! :'(

Ish

I'm probably tempting fate by posting this but here goes !!

For the last four days I've been running my AMD graphics card (ASUS Radeon R9 290x - Windows 7) on even older drivers than I had tried before and have not experienced a single crash yet in TANE build 80349 :Y:

Running TANE in
full screen mode :
Shadow quality ultra :
Shadow res 2048 :
texture detail Normal :
Post processing off :
Water Quality High :
Antialiasing 8x :
Detail update rate Ultra

Use multiple render threads
Use texture streaming
Use PhysX
Process objects behind camera
(all ticked on)

Draw distance in game 3000 metres

The drivers I've been using are AMD catalyst 14 - 9 which were released on 29 September 2014 .

Users who have been experiencing the same crashing problems with AMD cards and the latest version of TANE may wish to look into using older video card drivers from that period ?
you will need to check compatibility with your own cards (especially if newer than 290x)
NOTE : you may experience problems with other installed games where newer VC driver updates where released to combat problems with them !

I cant guarantee this will work on your own systems but its worth a try if your out of options .

Last edited:
Good Morning Nex

Excellent analysis there, sir --

I'll look into that, and see what happens!

Thanks for your insight! :wave:

Kind Regards
Ish

Back