Microsoft will not support upcoming CPUs

So, why is it that I seem to detect a reluctance to see our simulator and hobby on nothing else but the declining PC platform by so many on this forum. Mobile gaming is no longer restricted to small screens and poor sound systems and its introduction on to the mobile platform would bring a huge new market within its grasp.Therefore, why the reluctance, or are my detection sensors wrong.

I think you have hit the nail on the head right there. Many of us who grew up on desktop computers have always seen laptops as the "inferior cousins", and often for good reasons. Likewise mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets have always been seen as toys and novelties. Certainly the first generations of all these mobile devices were sadly lacking in power and performance compared to desktop computers. That has changed somewhat dramatically during the past few years.

In my own case, it was just 12 months ago that I bought my first laptop computer. It has a 64bit i7 CPU which outperformed my then 4-5 year old 32bit Quad Pentium based desktop, although the latter still had a better graphics card. I have since upgraded my desktop to restore its "supremacy" but both devices run T:ANE quite happily and perform all tasks I require of them. The desktop, obviously, has the much larger screen and keyboard so it is my preferred device while at home. The laptop is a more than adequate substitute, despite its screen and keyboard limitations, when I am traveling. Both devices run Windows 10.

Also 12 months ago I purchased my first smartphone - it ran Windows 8 and I have just recently upgraded its OS to Windows 10. The fact that I can run the same OS on all three devices is a major plus for me. I have MS Office installed on all three and this makes for a seamless exchange of data between the devices. I would not run Trainz (any version) or any serious graphical applications on my smartphone - the screen is far too small and my fingers are far too "clunky".

For me, I do not see a smartphone or tablet replacing my desktop in the near future - not unless they come with a 70cm touch screen (at a bare minimum). Likewise a laptop with a large enough screen to replace my desktop even if it matched it in all other areas, would be too bulky to carry and I would be paying extra for that "portability" so why would I bother? Perhaps, once they have perfected VR technology to get rid of those clunky glasses or can project the screen image straight onto your retina, then I would reconsider.

Hi everybody.
Well, I am the last person who would wish to comment on quantum computing, for as I have already stated in this thread I am a heavy computer user rather than someone who wishes to have knowledge of their inner workings. That stated, no one can do anything else but notice that computer science marches on at an ever-increasing pace. It was stated by a forum member earlier in this thread “that these are the most exciting times to live through in regards to how technology is changing our lives” which is a sentiment I would 100% agree with.

In the mid 1980s it was the PC which first brought computer technology into our homes which was followed by the Internet in the 90s which revolutionized the way we could communicate by way of that PC technology. However, in my humble opinion the above two changes have been dwarfed by the introduction of the smartphone and tablet which has brought forward mobile mass communication to billions throughout the world and changed the whole way in which we live.

Mobile technology has allowed all of us to commute with almost anyone at any time and from anywhere either by word or by text. However, most importantly for this forum it has introduced a new, more straightforward and less expensive way of gaming which has been embraced by billions worldwide by way of their mobile devices. Virtually all game software producers have moved on to the mobile platform including dovetail games who through their new tie up with Mad Catz have placed their first products on Google Android and the Apple platform only this week.

However, on this forum there seems to be a reluctance among many to see the full Trainz simulator version (T:ane) move on to the mobile platform even though the processing technology may (arguably) shortly be available or maybe even be already out there. Microsoft themselves are of recent leading the charge in the mobile field with the introduction of the high end Surface Pro 4 tablet with Samsung and LG joining them as high end tablet competition.

So, why is it that I seem to detect a reluctance to see our simulator and hobby on nothing else but the declining PC platform by so many on this forum. Mobile gaming is no longer restricted to small screens and poor sound systems and its introduction on to the mobile platform would bring a huge new market within its grasp.Therefore, why the reluctance, or are my detection sensors wrong.

Bill

People can and do run Trainz on Windows Laptops. However you need to be selective about what you run and mobile devices are more expensive than conventional desk tops. Desktops are more adaptable as well. There is a Trainz for Android for example, but its very limited.

On the hardware side suffering from osteoarthritis I use a very special keyboard with my desktop. I could use it with a laptop but then I’d need a table to put it on and the screen would be to far away. My main machine is now seven years old or near enough. It’s on its third screen, each better quality than the previous one, second video card, the GTX 980 means it will run TANE quite nicely thank you. It now has two SSD drives and a big ugly fast 4 terabyte drive that runs rings round any drive produced seven years ago when SSD drives were still to come at a reasonable price. It now supports a Blu-ray drive again something that wasn’t available at a reasonable price seven years ago. More to the point I can run allsorts of software that I’m used to.

The CPU remains the same, a XEON so roughly an i7, the twelve gigs of memory are sufficient but even these have been upgraded from six. In the tablet world I would have to have purchased a completely new system to get the screen improvements, 12 gigs of memory on a tablet? Well yes you can buy a Surface Pro 4 tablet with 16 gigs but if you buy one with 4 gigs don’t expect to be able to upgrade it or the video card come to that. Even switching the SSD is not an easy task with lots that can go wrong where wrong means fried device.

PC gaming still brings in more cash than mobile gaming. There is a lot of free software available in the PC world. I’ve yet to see Blender on a Samsung tablet and Blender makes a point of trying to be available on any operating system that runs on hardware it can make use of.

So if I need a PC for Blender and Paintshop Pro then the only reason I would have to buy a tablet was if it offered better performance. They don’t. Mobiles may offer sufficient processing power to run Trainz but its not the same experience as the same money spent on a desktop which offers you more flexibility. Also mobiles and laptops lock you to a point in time. I have a couple of refurbished Dell i7 laptops lying around that run TS12 fine, well set the sliders and your expectations back a little but TANE no way, they’re directx10.1 and there is no way I know of to upgrade them to directx11.

If you’re stuck travelling on a train then you are restricted to using some sort of mobile device with its limitations. If you’re not then a desktop offers far fewer limitations and let’s face it as hardware gets better content creators will make use of it. Its been a few years now since a content creator commented about how his models looked great but slowed the frame rates down. “I make them to run on my machine and if your’s doesn’t have liquid nitrogen cooling that’s your problem.” it’s an attitude shared by a number of content creators. Some of mine now come with a warning, don’t expect to run these on a laptop.

Cheerio John

I will drop my desktop PC in a hot second . . .as soon as I can buy a mobile computing solution that is comfortable to use and interact with for hours on end, gives me equal or better performance for the same money, that I can configure before buying to specify what hardware is in it and that I can easily upgrade or replace individual hardware components.

When that happens I will go mobile immediately. Until then, my desktop PC is going nowhere. :)

Stuart

Hi everybody.
Can I apologize to contributors to this thread for going missing for a few days especially those who responded to my posting and question at #79 with regards to having T:ane on the mobile platform. Unfortunately I am only semi-retired and work very often still gets in the way of the pleasures of retirement.

Also like many others football is my first love in life and the Euro international tournament is due to be held in France this summer. However there are reports that the tournament may be cancelled due to the security situation here in Europe following the Paris and Brussels attacks which has caused “ meltdown” on football forums I visit and in which I have “wholeheartedly” been giving my opinion on the matter any number of times.

However, Trainz enthusiasts on this forum can perhaps take heart from the knowledge that the “robust” exchanges between groups on this forum in regards to the virtues of T:ane or not looks like a “kid's tea party” when you see some of the things that have been said between those in favour of cancelling the tournament and those who wish to see it played no matter what the situation is or becomes.

Anyway, that stated many thanks to clam1952 for the links regarding the position of PC gaming at present. As the links state the revenue from PC gaming was 32 billion in 2015 as against 25 billion generated on the mobile platforms. However, I would point out that revenue figures for mobile gaming have only been in existence for the past 4 years and have been rising on average at over 15% per year during that period.

There is also the situation that no one is sure how much revenue is generated from Android gaming as Google freely give the operating system to mobile device manufacturers who often then generate their own corporate version of the operating system along with their own gaming applications to go with it. Samsung and Sony are the Masters in the foregoing with large libraries of applications available within their devices

In the above Google make their money from the advertising which is placed on the free of charge distributed applications. Therefore Google have little interest in the number of games actually sold as the advertising often changes each time the game is played. However, It is thought by the best market analyst such as Forbes that the Google Android platform is two-thirds the size again of the Apple iOS platform but even they admit that figures are hard to compile due to the heavy restrictions in china that Google have placed on them by the Chinese government.

I would 100% agree with John Whelan where he states in his posting at #83 of this thread that mobile devices come into their own when travelling on trains etc which is very much this week where I have seen them being used by others but in my own case was for working. The foregoing mobile use is especially prevalent among younger users addressing friends on social media, watching Youtube videos and gaming. That stated, it did occur to me that many of those young persons have probably never used a PC which must have a bearing on the future.

Bill

Last edited:
An interesting statistic I saw today. Apple is having problems convincing their customer base to keep upgrading their mobile devices, no doubt to keep pace with Apples profit margin. Over half of all Apple iPod users are still using the older iPod 1 and 2 models - while the iPod 4 is the latest on the market. 11% are still using the original iPod 1.

The figures for mobile platforms can be confusing. A number of sources that I have seen recently have put Android sales and market share well ahead of Apple iOS.

Hi everybody.
An interesting statistic I saw today. Apple is having problems convincing their customer base to keep upgrading their mobile devices, no doubt to keep pace with Apples profit margin. Over half of all Apple iPod users are still using the older iPod 1 and 2 models - while the iPod 4 is the latest on the market. 11% are still using the original iPod 1.

The figures for mobile platforms can be confusing. A number of sources that I have seen recently have put Android sales and market share well ahead of Apple iOS.

Pware, apologies if my posting at #86 was not clear, what I was trying to state was that it is believed that the Android market is equal in size to the Apple iOS market plus two thirds again, hope that now makes sense (LOL)

As you stated in your above posting pware, Apple do seem to be having their problems at the moment especially with the launch of their new smartphone aimed at the lower end of the market. The first reviews of the phone I have seen would seem to rank it as "awful" and they have little else coming onto the market in the near future.

Many stock market analysts are now advising shareholders to sell Apple while at the same time they are advising that Microsoft are a good long term buy. How the world turns, only18 months ago the complete opposite was being advised and no one would touch Microsoft stock with a barge pole.

As you stated in an earlier posting in this thread pware, these are some of the most interesting times in history to live through. With driverless trucks and cars coming onto our roads and robotics in general set to change everyone's lives from top to bottom I will certainly second you on your sentiments.

Whether all the above will make all our lives better or worse we can only wait and see.

Bill

Last edited:
what I was trying to state was that it is believed that the Android market is equal in size to the Apple iOS market plus two thirds again, hope that now makes sense

Yes, thank you - that makes it clearer and makes sense.

Back