Interesting findings regarding Raptr (AMD Gaming Evolved) and full screen games...

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Hi Trainzers,

Whilst this may not be fully about Trainz, I thought I'd share an interesting finding with the community.

When installing the latest AMD graphics drivers (both the Crimson ones as well as a few older versions) one gets the option to install Raptr/AMD Gaming Evolved. From what I've seen it seems to pre-tick the option with some driver installations.

I've found that this tool, whilst it can help keep track of gaming time, can also have some unexpected effects, including causing full-screen games to crash. This I have tested with another game of mine (Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile) which crashed frequently when Raptr/AMD Gaming Evolved was running with the in-game overlay turned on, to virtually no crashes when it's not running. I also suspect it may have been causing some graphical artifacts during game play as well.

I'm wondering if anyone else who has this program running on their system has encountered similar crash issues whilst it's running and whether those crashes reduce or disappear when it's not running.

Shane

Shane

I noticed problems when Raptor was running, such as slower frame rate and crashes, so I just made sure it was not running. When I run Trainz I make sure all hidden items are off, i.e. Adobe updater, my cloud, AMD Gaming Evolved, etc.

Regards,

Edit: This was all pre TANE SP1.

That's what I'm now doing as well now I've identified Raptr to be the source of quite a few of my game crashes.

Thank you for your response though - I do appreciate it as it confirms what I've been seeing.

Shane

I have Raptr installed & running. Haven't noticed any issues with crashing due to it (I really only have one game reliably crashing, and it's a documented fault with the game). However I'll try and spare some time in the next few days to benchmark some games & see if there is at least a performance change. One of the AMD auto-installed software things (I'm at the office & not sitting in front of my gaming computer) offers to optimize almost every game I have. I still don't know what optimizing it does... although it did make Assassins Creed Syndicate run better after optimizing it.

peter

I look forward to seeing your results there Peter. It looks like it may be the in-game overlay on Raptr that may be affecting things.

Shane

I look forward to seeing your results there Peter. It looks like it may be the in-game overlay on Raptr that may be affecting things.

Shane

You can disable the in game overlay; but they didn't make it easy. On the Library page, each game it thinks you have is listed; there is a little check box to disable the overlay for that game. So you have to go thru and disable it for each individual game.

peter

Edit: ok just found the option in the Preferences as well, you can do it bulk there.

Back