Flying Scotsman Steams!

Good news even if it was a way over the top cost, there's quite a long list of events for this year as well.

Now that the FS is back, someone needs to make a new version of the FS for Trainz. The TRS2004 one is showing its age by now. Same goes for the Mallard.

Camscott already has some new A4s in the works and i remember seeing a possible render of a new FS for TANE (correct me if i'm wrong :eek:)

Are there any parts of the original FS in this build? I still think the money it cost NRM and ultimatley us as taxpayers could have been better spent on other projects within the NRM.

Regards

Are there any parts of the original FS in this build? I still think the money it cost NRM and ultimatley us as taxpayers could have been better spent on other projects within the NRM.

Regards

Very interesting article on that here: http://blog.nrm.org.uk/how-much-flying-scotsman-original/

I personally think that asking how much of a locomotive is original is a fairly stupid question. No locomotive ever retains all the components it was built with, they are rebuilt and repaired throughout their lives, with parts being swapped between different locomotives. I feel that as long as any new components are built to the original design (except where modern safety requirements need modifications) it doesn't really matter.

Interesting article thank you for the information. I completley understand that components change and of course "My granddad's hammer" analogy works in this case. I don't understand why my question is stupid though as I was curious to know just how much of the engine was original LNER built parts. The article gives me the information. I saw it at York a couple of years ago in wartime black without any valve gear and I had a hard time trying to see the "real" original engine hence my question.

Regards

Interesting article thank you for the information. I completley understand that components change and of course "My granddad's hammer" analogy works in this case. I don't understand why my question is stupid though as I was curious to know just how much of the engine was original LNER built parts. The article gives me the information. I saw it at York a couple of years ago in wartime black without any valve gear and I had a hard time trying to see the "real" original engine hence my question.

Regards

I didn't want to imply you were stupid! Apologies for any offence. What I meant was that it's not something worth getting too worried or upset about, although as you say there is some academic interest.

At last!
Good to see 4472 (well, 60103 now) back in action after 10 years! Can't wait to see it on the mainline in February.

I didn't want to imply you were stupid! Apologies for any offence. What I meant was that it's not something worth getting too worried or upset about, although as you say there is some academic interest.

No offence taken. I should have put more thought into my original post :)

Regards

Hi everybody.
Although I would agree that it is always good to see these historic engines return to the rails, I also wonder (as Portland Bill did in his posting at #10 of this thread) that the total of six that half million pounds overall spending on the purchase and restoration of this engine could have been better spent by the National Railway Museum. Almost 6 million of the above sum came from British taxpayers, and therefore the overall history of UK railways should be the first priority of the museum rather than one show-piece project .

As personal preference to the above project, I believe that a far better spend would have been a much improved exhibition than of now featuring the history of the railways during the Second World War. For it was from 1940 until late 1944 that the whole transportation for the war effort was carried on the British railways with its drivers, fireman, guards, signalman and loaders working 16 to 18 hour days in appalling conditions to make the Allied victory possible.

In the above, the footplate crews ran their locomotives in totally blacked out conditions so as to protect the trains from enemy air attack. At night the only way which the drivers knew exactly where they were was to count the track joins from one junction to the next. In summer with the steam locomotive cabs completely covered in canvass sheeting so that the boiler fires could not be seen from the air temperatures reached in excess of 95° at times for those working shovelling footplate crews.

I would also wish to see a much better representation of the UK railways connection with the now defunct British deep mine coal industry during that wartime era. For in that industry the countries male youths leaving school at 15 years old where then conscripted into the mining industry to manually dig out the thousands of tonnes of coal that was so badly needed by the railways. These young people again worked long hours in appalling conditions on behalf of the war effort, only then to be called into military service at the age of 17 or 18.

Without doubt, it was the superb effort made by the British coal and rail industries that made the D-Day landings and then eventual overall victory possible for the British, American, Australian, New Zealand, Indian and many other nations who joined one of the most desperate struggles in the world’s history.

Surely, anyone who reads further on the above will feel that at least some part of that 6 ½ million spent on the flying Scotsman would have been better spent in a tribute to all who engaged in that great wartime effort. The forgoing would ensure that the youth of today will forever know of what the youth of yesterday did for them.

Bill

Last edited:
...Almost 6 million of the above sum came from British taxpayers...

Have you got a source for that statistic? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've heard varying figures from different sources and have so far failed to find any "official" source saying where the money came from, if you've found one I'd like to know!

Have you got a source for that statistic? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've heard varying figures from different sources and have so far failed to find any "official" source saying where the money came from, if you've found one I'd like to know!

The National Railway Museum is part of the overall structure of accredited museums funded by National and local government throughout the country. Six and a half million has been widely published as the total funding for the project by the media.

Bll

Last edited:
The National Railway Museum is part of the overall structure of accredited museums funded by National and local government throughout the country.

Bll

But that doesn't mean everything they do is "taxpayer funded", things could be paid for from donations, grants or commercial revenue...

But that doesn't mean everything they do is "taxpayer funded", things could be paid for from donations, grants or commercial revenue...

I believe around half a million came from donations and grants. However, some of those donations may well have come in if it were for another project such as I suggested at #16 of this thread.

Back