"Texas" Locomotive removed for restoration

generalman

Renowned L&N Fanatic
I have had people ask me before why I would come up with a username like "generalman". Looking back now it just looks like I'm saying something like, "just a general guy". :hehe: However, the real reason is that at the time I joined the Trainz community, I was obsessed with the General and the Andrews Raid; and of course, I'm a guy lol.

That being said, I found out that the locomotive Texas, which was used in the raid to pursue the raiders, has been moved from its long resting place in the Cyclorama building in Atlanta, Georgia, and is headed for the North Carolina Transportation Museum to undergo a $500,000 restoration. It is suspected to be finished in late 2016, and will return to Atlanta to be put on public display.

Read the article here.

I've got a few questions:
1. Why are they sending it to the North Carolina Transportation Museum? I know that they rebuilt 611, but wouldn't the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum be better? They're closer and have experience in restoring 100+ year old steam locomotives.
2. And if they can, can they have it restored to operating condition and provide a small section of track coming off the display so that she can move around a little bit?

I don't know the major details, just what few the article provides.

I assume the city of Atlanta may have negotiated some sort of deal with the N.C.T.M., that the T.V.R.M. may not have suited them with. I'm not sure on that one.
As for operating condition, since it belongs to the city of Atlanta, and not a specified museum or organization, they probably don't want to spend any more money than they already are planning.

Back