Real Preservation - Irish diesel loco

pfx

As a preface, I've been involved with preservation of vintage Irish diesel locos for a number of years, more by accident than by design. I decided to take on a challenge and for anyone interested, I've been working on repainting a particular loco belonging to the Irish Traction Group since summer last year.

Here's the finished product and below is a link to some pictures taken during the repaint.

23933548436_18cb136bc7_b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.892005854222201.1073741834.354101511345974&type=3

Well, I'm not much into non-American diesels, for the most part... but, this particular one, I like the scheme, and has a certain "vintage look" to me. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice I always a small but big interest in UK style railroading (I need to start giving my uk stuff more attention) if only I can figure out how to properly set up a uk style consist.

Nice work pfx, it's certainly nice to see that a few members of this forum work on real trains too!
Oh, and Matt- the locomotive is from the Republic of Ireland, not the UK. Some people will get worked up if you get them mixed up. It's a bit like the Australia-NZ situation!

Oh, and Matt- the locomotive is from the Republic of Ireland, not the UK. Some people will get worked up if you get them mixed up. It's a bit like the Australia-NZ situation!
Hah! Yes indeed. Ran on Irish metals in service, now on the only full size preserved line on the island at Downpatrick, County Down.

Well, I'm not much into non-American diesels, for the most part... but, this particular one, I like the scheme, and has a certain "vintage look" to me. Thanks for sharing.
I'm fairly sure you'll find that these are American built locos anyway. General Motors, I believe. Maybe PFX could confirm that.

I think you'll also find that most EWS British freight locos are now American built locos too.

Dave

Last edited:
I have to say you've done a fine paint job there pfx, like new! 'Hot Rod' with some Irn Bru, Brilliant!
I'm fairly sure you'll find that these are American built locos anyway. General Motors, I believe. Maybe PFX could confirm that.

I think you'll also find that most EWS British freight locos are now American built locos too.

Dave
Although alot of Irish Diesels were built by GM, this one wasn't one of them however the 'R' indicates that it was rebuilt with GM Engines so technically your half right

Hi Dave.

The GMs came a few years later. This loco type was built by Metropolitan Vickers in Manchester, with the bodies being made by Metro Cammell in Birmingham and the bogies by the English Steel Corporation in Sheffield. The locos were assembled by Metro Vic who also supplied the electrical components. The original engines were supplied by Crossley Brothers in Manchester but because they weren't exactly a success, CIÉ managed to negotiate a deal with General Motors to supply replacement engines but this was only after CIÉ had purchased GM built locos. GM were initially unwilling to supply the engines on their own as they feared the bad reputation of the Crossley engined locos would rub off on GM.

Back