Faulty assets

When you open the one of these assets for edit and open the folder up, there will be a waterglass.texture.txt. Delete this file, or create a waterglass.tga texture and drag it into this folder. Open up the waterglass.texture.txt to get the exact filename.

John

I think that's the problem. The waterglass.txt isn't there to begin with, which is probably why the error is appearing.

It seems that I'm not able to replace the missing texture. There is no waterglass.txt in the config file whatsoever, and It doesn't seem to be compatible with creating one.

It seems that I'm not able to replace the missing texture. There is no waterglass.txt in the config file whatsoever, and It doesn't seem to be compatible with creating one.

You mean waterglass.texture.txt

This contains the actual file waterglass.tga that it refers to and the Tiling or Alpha reference as well if any.

What I would do is:

1) Create a bluish image in Gimp or some other photo editor program. Save as waterglass.tga without compression.

2) Open up the faulty asset for editing in your finder.

3) Take another file.texture.txt (Pick one, any one from the number that are in the folder), and copy it to a file named waterglass.texture.txt.

4) Edit your "new" waterglass.texture.txt file and replace the file.tga shown in the file - where "file.tga" refers to the texture file name in there already, and change that to waterglass.tga

5) Copy in your waterglass.tga you created previously into the folder.

Close the folder submit, and check for errors.

I think I've got the steps covered.... I've done this more than once to fix assets that were missing textures.

John

I followed those steps, and extra careful to save it uncompressed. However, it still showed up as an error, although just six times, not seven. So I reverted to original, and tried something else:

I opened in finder.

I copied "brass_handle.tga" to my desktop, and I renamed it "waterglass.tga".

I placed it in the file, no such luck.

So I thought that perhaps since the error called for "waterglass.texture.tga" that perhaps that was the issue. Tried it again, this time adding ".texture" to the name. No such luck.

Maybe Bdneal's content isn't for me? haha. :)

It doesn't make sense because I have a bunch of Ben's Ks running in T:ANE that I fixed ages ago.

I don't know if having a mac changes anything. I know that a lot of Ben's stuff downloads with mesh errors, which requires PEVsoft to fix them. PEVsoft only runs on a PC. Do you know of anyone else who may make a more recent k27-k37?

Cheers :)

I think Trainboi or someone by that name might be. I know he did some Colorado Narrow Gauge stuff.

UPDATE: I fixed it!!

It turned out I was not doing the image and the txt file. So I copied the env_metal.bmp, renamed it as waterglass.bmp, and put it back in the finder. I then copied the env_metal.txt, which I finally now understand is needed with the image file to make it work. (I can't believe I didn't get that). So I edited the env_metal.txt to say "primary=waterglass", renamed it to waterglass.texture.txt, and everything works!

(finally!!):)

UPDATE: I fixed it!!

It turned out I was not doing the image and the txt file. So I copied the env_metal.bmp, renamed it as waterglass.bmp, and put it back in the finder. I then copied the env_metal.txt, which I finally now understand is needed with the image file to make it work. (I can't believe I didn't get that). So I edited the env_metal.txt to say "primary=waterglass", renamed it to waterglass.texture.txt, and everything works!

(finally!!):)

Congratulations! :D

This is what I was trying to 'splain all along.

This is something that will be very common with lots of assets. I suggest saving these files in a folder called parts. Put in other textures you'll come across too such as black.tga along with the black.texture.txt file that matches. If I come across a missing texture that I have, I dig through my folder, like looking in a scrap box, for the textures and bits I need. This has saved me a ton of time when repairing these older assets.

John

Back