CSX and the ACes

jonwray

Hi,

Does anyone know why CSX only ordered 20 SD70ACes, when almost every other Class 1 except for CP got a ton of either the ACe or M-2? Though I have a suspicion it has to do with them favoring GE units...

I've wondered the same thing... Surprised they haven't gone back for another order yet. Perhaps that will change with the new Tier 4 locos?

This is all hearsay, but I thought I heard the ACe's they received were very early production units that had several flaws, to the point where CSX didn't want to buy any more. Plus, if you read some of the other forums, the crews hate them.

Again, don't take it as gospel, just one thing I've heard.

Hi,

Does anyone know why CSX only ordered 20 SD70ACes, when almost every other Class 1 except for CP got a ton of either the ACe or M-2? Though I have a suspicion it has to do with them favoring GE units...
It is true that some of the first ACe's were the ones to go to CSX. There were actually a variety of issues which were fixed after CSX took delivery, but before BNSF and UP took their set. CSX hated these units so bad, that they have yet to order another EMD product. (No, SD40-3's do not count, they are rebuilds.)
There are a number of crews that hate them, particuarly the ones with CSX and BNSF being the biggest haters of the units.

There are a number of crews that hate them, particuarly the ones with CSX and BNSF being the biggest haters of the units.
Correct. Want to know the #1 reason why? They don't call them thundercabs for nothing.
Early run units have major sound dissipation flaws from the engine room due to the fact that they do not have isolated cabs. It is illegal by company order to have any non-isolated cab BNSF SD70ACe run on BNSF trains. Their crews complained about hearing loss.

Among the reliability issues, pulling ability, and other flaws with the early ACes, CSX has every right to abandon EMD.
Oh. Let's not forget the awful paint job ElectroMotive gave CSX with those units. Wrong, wrong, wrong!

I've wondered the same thing... Surprised they haven't gone back for another order yet. Perhaps that will change with the new Tier 4 locos?

I kind of doubt that. They're probably going to get some more ET44AC's instead of the new Tier 4 SD70Ace's. And they're probably going to rebuild some more of their GP38's, GP40's, SD40's, & maybe their SD50's.

I kind of doubt that. They're probably going to get some more ET44AC's instead of the new Tier 4 SD70Ace's. And they're probably going to rebuild some more of their GP38's, GP40's, SD40's, & maybe their SD50's.
I doubt any of that. With traffic being down, the current fleet should be sufficient for the levels right now. I'm really surprised that any RR is taking orders of any T4 units at all considering traffic levels. There is no use for them other than to outdate the fleet that really isn't dated yet (Unless you're a certain class 1).

I doubt any of that. With traffic being down, the current fleet should be sufficient for the levels right now. I'm really surprised that any RR is taking orders of any T4 units at all considering traffic levels. There is no use for them other than to outdate the fleet that really isn't dated yet (Unless you're a certain class 1).
Both BNSF and CSXT have received some of their ordered ET44ACs.
From what I know personally rebuilds not only double the life of older units and are cheaper than buying newer ones, but railroads save money by having new features like safety, modern cabs and radios, as well as fuel efficiency.
I heard the SD40-3 rebuilds have cab mics for crew monitoring as well.

Last edited:
Back