US Road Trip - Any preserved railways en route?

pfx

Probably one for my transatlantic cousins to help out with.

I plan a 3 week road trip in the US next year, likely hitting 6 states in 3 weeks. My initial itinerary so far is San Francisco, CA > Reno, NV > Boise, ID > Bonneville Salt Flats, Salt Lake City, UT > Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, AZ > Durango, Denver, CO.

I volunteer at a preserved line in Ireland and I'd love to see some US preservation work. I'm aware of the Durango - Silverton railroad but is there anything else along that route (within reason) that I could look up?

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Innis

Sacramento, CA has a really nice railroad museum. The Nevada County Narrow Gauge has a nice little museum not too far out of the way to Reno (Nevada City, CA). The Virginia and Truckee railroad (and the Nevada State Railroad Museum) is just south of Reno. The Golden Spike monument is between Boise and Salt Lake. As I remember, Ogden, UT (just north of Salt Lake) also has a nice museum. The Heber Creeper is just outside Salt Lake.

There are others, I'm sure - that's just off the top of my head.

Enjoy your trip!
Curtis

Thanks Curtis. Much appreciated. Most of those look doable but I don't think my wife will be too happy if I visit every preserved line between SF and Denver!

Last edited:
There's also the Grand Canyon Railroad in Williams, Arizona. Just get on Interstate 40 in Flagstaff, Arizona and head west.

Excellent folks. Thanks a million. I notice a few don't run until May which is a pity as I'll be over during April.

Just outside Denver Colorado is the town of Golden where the Colorado Railroad Museum is where they have a pretty interesting collection of NG equipment

Also there is the Georgetown Loop railroad just a little further west of Golden along with The Niles Canyon Scenic Railroad In niles CA about 30 miles south east of San Francisco Marketstreet F line which operates restored streetcars mainly PCC cars. and then there is the i belive a museum between San Francisco and Sacramento but I can't remember the name of it I alos Highly Suggest the Cumbres and Toltec Secnic railroad which was once part of the D&RGW Narrow gauge network as well as the Durango and Silverton and if you go on that trip I suggest to take the Train out of Chama since the first leg is the steepest portion of the line about a 4% grade and from time to time if the train is long enough They will use a helper engine.

Also too is the Nevada Northern Railway in Ely Nevada That is an impressive railway too as it operates equipment original to the railroad, locomotives and everything.

From reading reviews on Trip Advisor about the Grand Canyon Railway (when contemplating a sim version) might be best avoided if you just want a quiet reflective journey. Non-stop commentary, "entertainment" and on the return a staged train robbery where apparently the "actors" become very aggressive when it comes to taking real money off the passengers.

Although the canyon is always worth a visit, by all accounts the scenery along the railway is not much different to the road, mostly desert with the odd bit of hilly terrain and forest.

As somebody that lives in Boise, ID, I can say that the old Boise and Nampa Depots are well worth a visit. There isn't much in the way of preserved stuff, but if you decide to get off the beaten interstate, you can follow the UP Nampa Subdivision all the way from Nampa to Minidoka, ID. There are several relics worth seeing including an old water tower at Orchard, ID south and east of Boise. At Reverse on old US Highway 30, there are the only sets of searchlights left operating on this particular subdivision. Occasionally, helpers get sent out to rescue trains coming up the hill. If you continue to follow old US30, it will take you all the way to Glenns Ferry, where they are loading the sugar beet trains, and there is a old coaling tower for when the steam trains operated the line. You can follow US30 to a place known as King Hill, and there is a pull off up from where the tracks cross the bridge and gives a splendid view looking down at trains as they thunder up the 1.5% grade to Bliss. US30 meets back up with I84 a few miles from this location. You can get off at the Bliss exit, navigate in to the little tiny town, and there is another water tower from the steam days. It's a great trainspotting location as well, as crews are always friendly and giving big waves and extra horn as they come through the town. Westbound trains will always being dynamic braking unless pulling out of the siding, and Eastbound trains will be going full power. From there, you can follow US Highway 26 out to a town known as Gooding, where there are some decent railfan spots. If you follow 26 out of Gooding you'll come to a town known as Shoshone, ID. Railroading runs in the blood of this town as there used to be a yard there. There is an old depot right in downtown, and a platform just for train watchers to gather. There are 3 crossing spaced close together, so if you love horn, you're in the right place. Awesome crews are gonna give you a big show. Shoshone snack bar is a fantastic place to eat as well, and good ice-cream cones. From here, you can get on Idaho Highway 24 which you can ride all the way to Minidoka, ID. Along the line there are leftover lineside telephones. You need to see those while they still exists, it won't be long before they get removed. At Kimmamma, ID (However you spell it) there is a water tower and next to a grain elevator. Plenty of spots to pull off and watch trains, as the highway runs right along the tracks, and of course numerous side roads. At Minidoka, there is an interchange between UP and WAMX's Eastern Idaho Railroad. The interchange is easily accessible by car and makes a splendid location to watch trains because of the old water tower that sits track-side and can easily be captured in any shot you take. From here, the highway goes south towards Rupert and Burley, but if you're interested in risking your tires to make an off road run on roads lined with obsidian rock shards, you can drive at to Wapi, ID, which is an old Lava field from a Volcano in Craters of the Moon National Monument. There is an old water tower and a couple of abandoned buildings here, and scenically is a great spot. However, you're isolated from any civilization, and cell coverage is not always existent, I would prepare adequately before going out there.
Rupert is the heart of the EIRR operations. Numerous industries can be found along the line, and the area as far as I know is railfan friendly. Old American locomotives are all you're going to find operating here. The highway meets back up with I84 at Burley, ID, which is about 15 miles from the I86-84 interchange. Here 84 goes south into Utah, and 86 continues to Pocatello, ID. If you stay on 86, you can stop by American Falls, ID where the trains go over the American Falls Resivor on the Snake River. At Pocatello, there is a major yard, with a locomotive light repair center and refueling points. From there, it's on to I15 south into Utah, which continues along the line to other spectacular spots, I've not yet been to myself.

At Clarkdale, Arizona, Southwest of Flagstaff, is the Verde Canyon Railroad which is not a "preserved" railroad, but rather an active excursion railroad operating over part of the Arizona Central railroad, and active US shortline. There is a website.

ns

Sounds like I could spend the entire 3 weeks looking at railways. I'm never going to get that passed by the boss though. Plenty of stuff for me to consider so a massive thanks to you all for helping out here. I'm looking forward to it already.

Sorry to revive an oldish thread but as my road trip approaches, I'm looking for a bit more advice. It's slightly off topic this time but I thought it would be better posting on my existing thread than starting a new one. My route has changed a bit so Idaho is no longer on the route but I will still be ending in Denver (with a trip on the Durango to Silverton line on the way). I had hoped to take in a baseball game on top of any railroad sites along the way, but I don't understand the first thing about the schedule. I can see games are 3 days long but is it like cricket where a game can end early or do they definitely last for the full 3 days? Excuse my Scottish ignorance... The game is in Denver.

Many thanks,
Innis

Last edited:
I saw someone said that there is a Railroad Museum between San Francisco and Sacramento, that would be the Western Railroad Museum at Rio Vista Junction. Its just a few miles of I-80 and is built on what was once the right of way of part of the Sacramento Northern, Lots of Bay area electric railroad equipment and a Western Pacific Steam Locomotive there.

Head south a little ways from San Francisco, Felton Ca has the Roaring Camp & Big Trees railroad that runs some shays and heislers up some pretty steep grades. Little out of the way but worth a look if you have time. Niles Canyon Railway is a good score on the weekends in Niles Ca. And as said before, the Sacramento Rail museum is a solid point to visit for most.

cheers

I was wondering why the Cumbres and Toltec, and the D&S have a train ride to the destination, but there is no overnight layover train return trip from hotels, motels, and a super exclusive resort at the terminus of the route ... instead they offer cheap boxed lunch's, and a boring bus ride back to the starting point ... The Grande Canyon Rwy could also make a huge exclusive 5 star resort a couple miles from the canyon rim ... making them super tourist attractions

Back