The Illinois Railway Museum Route

I'm still upset about this not being TS12 Compatible. But it is looking good. I hope to earn enough money this summer from mowing lawns to build a new PC.

There's probably not much you can do about that as once it's started in T:ANE, it means that it can pretty much only be run in T:ANE.

Shane

Thanks for pointing that out Shane, Plus Paul aka PWeiser has just release this Modified S-2 Class NYC and Penn Central Electric. He did a fantastic job on it. More info on it can be found here https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?138812-Museum-S-2-Electric

8aae24264eb0269867f178745925de8a.png

eb2a7f6a56281f2cab5b4ebc38b4191f.png

Hello Everyone, its been a little while since I last did a update on the route so lets get started.

Added in some more foliage to the museum area and some other small details
4546c37a2e957a9dee1169246cbc9b66.png

b29ad1f4e573399908dfba4a67417c77.png

225d9af77bdba8165468facbc21d7b7d.png

6f24e94be2ffb22795a0be7c4f81b21e.png

Move back towards the mainline, intensive tree work has continued.
91148e07a0d012dabf7dcaf69d27ded7.png

d306fd803899228778e31eee84682cdc.png

ed5461133446f6ddae21e4d0d0aa584f.png

95170e5b1c564937a4bb9fab39a7159a.png

554f1c7fbd1e9f6c3ea5fab7f7510c09.png

d3069066dcf83b44750aa58e9887c59c.png

Hello everyone, I have two announcements to make. First off (Im a little late to say this) but I would like to give thanks to PWeiser yet again for making another contribution towards my IRM project for making this C&NW RDC-1 Car #9933 (it currently is in a different paint scheme but it will be restored back to its C&NW look in the future).

7b9d1d5b8f5816c125efe3a972b1a9c4.png

e1d8352b165385c84c5b4636cd2dbfa5.png

Second announcement I have to make is that while we are making good progress on making locomotives and rolling stock for this route. Progress on the route has slowed down a bit both by my personal live and the lack of people I have making custom scenery for this route which is what I want to address today. Currently the only active scenery guy I have working with me that is very active at making the custom scenery is Bendorsey who is currently now making mostly smaller scenery assets like signs, benches, chairs, and other small things for example. The only other scenery guy I have is BlackDiamond1964 but I'm still waiting on his word on if he will still make scenery content for me or not so because of this route progress has slowed down a bit. Other than those two, the only person who has contributed was Dericm who made that GTW Sanding Tower but other than that, thats basically it. I really need more professional or good experience content creators on board to help out making some more custom scenery for this route because there is a lot of buildings, signs, industries, and other things that have not yet been made yet for Trainz and in order for this project to not become vaporware, I need more help in the scenery department as the workload for both Bendorsey and Blackdiamond1964 can decrease if I have more contributors on board. In order to keep this route freeware I can not commission scenery items so I am not in a position to accept commissions for custom scenery assets. So if you all want to see this route finished, please come and help contribute to this route project so it will still have a chance of being finished. Please contact me either by PM, Email, Skype or Facebook if your interested in helping out making scenery for this project.

Im also looking for people to make track objects as well for this route like switch stands, and signals for me as well.

Last edited:
First let me say that when wanting to create a route, make sure you have the means to get it done. In this case, Matt does not. Just like the many projects and groups I've started in the past, in the end it will fail because you don't have the proper support. I offered to help him make some buildings...I've done that and much more. It's now time for me to move to my own projects. For Matt, I'm sorry to say that now you need to learn how to make your own objects if you want to see your project to it's completion. I faced the same problem you are having now. That is the main reason why my Laurel Line route is a big steaming pile of vaporware, complete with a rather large set of unfinished models. Like so many other route builders out there, I eventually figured out that I will need to learn how to build content for myself.

First let me say that when wanting to create a route, make sure you have the means to get it done. In this case, Matt does not. Just like the many projects and groups I've started in the past, in the end it will fail because you don't have the proper support. I offered to help him make some buildings...I've done that and much more. It's now time for me to move to my own projects. For Matt, I'm sorry to say that now you need to learn how to make your own objects if you want to see your project to it's completion. I faced the same problem you are having now. That is the main reason why my Laurel Line route is a big steaming pile of vaporware, complete with a rather large set of unfinished models. Like so many other route builders out there, I eventually figured out that I will need to learn how to build content for myself.

I understand about what you meant about me then making my own content for the route but due to my busy schedule and personal life, If I would start making my own stuff It will add even more workload to what Im working on already, which is building the route and doing endless amount of research for many things Im working on with others. Plus one of the goals I wanted to do with this project is that I wanted this to be a community project, where I want anyone who would like to contribute to the project to come in help out as long as they have good content creating experience, trying to make the models myself while also trying to work on the route will be too time consuming and too stressful with my busy personal life. This project has enough interest already which is what I have to thank all of the content creators who are working with me on locomotives and rolling stock projects, but in order for this route to be finished I also need more help on the scenery.

Not to mention that Ive also spent a lot of money on separate upcoming payware and freeware commissions with both JR and K&L. Thats another reason why I do not want to see this route project become vaporware. Plus with many of the IRM museum volunteers now supporting this project I do not want to let them down.

Last edited:
The project doesn't have to be completed at a certain time...you could slow down a bit and work at a slower pace, giving yourself time to learn how to and make your own content...or is this a matter of making sure every single person in the community helps with your project that never seems to get much further than laying track 5 miles away from the actual IRM part of the route? Cause if that's the case, i assume the people who made content just for you would be sad to see their time wasted if this project was to become vaporware...

You should learn to build stuff yourself instead of making the community give you everything you need; that's not how it works. If you want something badly enough, make it yourself, simple as that. There's no reason you can't...cause you say you have a "busy schedule" but you still have time to lay track and place your hundreds of community-created assets...but you say don't have time to make your own buildings? That's a bit odd...

The community is here to help you, not serve you.

Last edited:
The project doesn't have to be completed at a certain time...you could slow down a bit and work at a slower pace, giving yourself time to learn how to and make your own content...or is this a matter of making sure every single person in the community helps with your project that never seems to get much further than laying track 5 miles away from the actual IRM part of the route? Cause if that's the case, i assume the people who made content just for you would be sad to see their time wasted if this project was to become vaporware...

You should learn to build stuff yourself instead of making the community give you everything you need; that's not how it works. If you want something badly enough, make it yourself, simple as that. There's no reason you can't...cause you say you have a "busy schedule" but you still have time to lay track and place your hundreds of community-created assets...but you say don't have time to make your own buildings? That's a bit odd...
How many times do I have to say this.... Ive tried content creation before, I found it too confusing to do and too stressful.... Plus you forgot to notice that I have a job that takes away half of my time working on this route and on my off days, I spend a lot of time doing research for people like SimulatorTrain, PWieser, Daylightrain, ns2016, Wearsprada, TweetsieDude, and many others to help them out with creating the content such as looking up drawings, dimensions, measurements, reference photos, talking with IRM volunteers on gathering reference info, joining and searching thru model railroad and railroad historical society groups and talking with them on gathering info. Im doing this in my part to help them make stuff for me so it does not look like Im just giving out projects randomly and letting them do all the work. That way I do the research while they make the model. Plus I've been a route builder since Trainz 2004 and I find route building more comforting to do than content creating.

Not to mention that Ive also spent a lot of money on separate upcoming payware and freeware commissions with both JR and K&L. Thats another reason why I do not want to see this route project become vaporware. Plus with many of the IRM museum volunteers now supporting this project I do not want to let them down.

DUDE, ITS A GAME LMAO. Why are you spending this much money? Get the route done or whatever you can get done for free, then worry about the money so you don't have so much at stake since a game means so much to you...

A lot of us are watching your progress intently, Matt. Don't give up.

Chris does bring up some valid points. You'd ultimately be doing yourself a favor (and opening a new world of opportunity) if you give content creation another try.
I (and I'm sure many others have) also found it confusing and stressful, but acquiring new skills often is. I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but I'm not giving up.

Ignore SMAN12345. If he wants to act like a bogan and make worthless posts, that's his prerogative.

How many times do I have to say this.... Ive tried content creation before, I found it too confusing to do and too stressful....

And even then, i've tried it too, and i've found it tough too, but that doesn't mean you should just give up and not do anything to help yourself. If you really want stuff, learn how to make it yourself. Like i said, the community is here to help you, not serve you.

Plus you forgot to notice that I have a job that takes away half of my time working on this route...

Okay? You have a job...but you still have time to post twenty or so route screenshots before work? That doesn't make mush sense...if you're progressing on your route at a reasonable pace like you say you are, that means you do have time to work on it, which means you also have time to work on other stuff instead of it, which means you do have time to learn content creation...you just don't want to. It's gonna get to a point where people are going to be overloaded with projects from you (like Scott was) and they're going to quit the project. That's just being an *** to your slav-i mean, helpers.

...and on my off days, I spend a lot of time doing research for people like SimulatorTrain, PWieser, Daylightrain, ns2616, Wearsprada, TweetsieDude, and many others to help them out with creating the content such as looking up drawings, dimensions, measurements, reference photos...

So you spend more time doing research for other people than working on your own route? I get it...you want to help them, but like i said: give people too many projects to complete for something that's overall just a hobby and they may very well get fed up with you (need i mention Scott again, and your post hounding him to do x number of buildings for you after he blatantly told you he wasn't working on the project anymore?).

Im doing this in my part to help them make stuff for me so it does not look like Im just giving out projects randomly and letting them do all the work. That way I do the research while they make the model.

But...you are just randomly giving out projects to people. You're asking them to make this and that and these and those for your project...so yes, you are literally randomly asking people to do stuff for you. You providing the materials for that only proves my claim further: giving random people random projects you think they'd want to do for you...

Plus I've been a route builder since Trainz 2004 and I find route building more comforting to do than content creating.

Congratulations. I've been playing Trainz since 2006...does that really mean much? I find route building more fun too, but that doesn't mean i'm going to shove all of my work onto other people just because this exact lamppost isn't in-game yet.

---

So what have we learned today? If you want something bad enough, make it yourself. This has been said to countless, countless people...and it's been said to you multiple times now; there's a reason for that, y'know.

Last edited:
As I said before. Ive tried to learn content creating myself, and it did not go so well, I tried having a friend of mine teach me how to learn blender but all he did was yell at me and calling me stupid. My only good chance of trying to become a content creator is to take lessons with Bill from K&L but his season cost money but I need to save my money for both car payments and for other commission work I have planned.

And Thank you Blutorse4792 for the support.

As I said before. Ive tried to learn content creating myself, and it did not go so well, I tried having a friend of mine teach me how to learn blender but all he did was yell at me and calling me stupid. My only good chance of trying to become a content creator is to take lessons with Bill from K&L but his season cost money but I need to save my money for both car payments and for other commission work I have planned.

Like I said....why not SAVE your money until AFTER you get everything you can done for free, THEN spend money on commissions so this doesn't happen? Its common sense, but most on the forum lack that anymore. People on here want to see your work, not what you've spent on commissions. For a manager, you should know this. Act and think more professionally.

Matt, it sounds to me like you're making excuses (and believe me, I unfortunately have a lot of experience in that department).

It's always going to be difficult, but you're going to find that if you really want this done, you'll be surprised at what you can do if you don't give up (Again, from experience).

I strongly advise that you give content creation another try, at your own pace. I've been at it for 10+ years now.

Back