The Illinois Railway Museum Route

Plus I would like to announce that I'm sorry for the lack of progress on the route, I've been sick with a bad bad cold for the past few days but I'm starting to recover from it so I should be back to work on the route Tomorrow.

Ok, so let me just explain how to fix that. When you are typing after you input a quote, make sure to put in a period then go back before the period and press space. Then go back before the space and start typing what you want to type. Send me a pm if you have skype for more details

What works for me when it won't add spaces (using the spacebar) then I cut and paste a space out of the quote, that seems to fix the issue as spacebar starts working again as well.

-Mark

Here is what me and my newest member of the "IRM Project" team "Joek5" have been working on. He is modeling Illinois Central 2-4-4T #201 and here is some progress he made on the engine

5d4e12fb6accfb5fd9ac521527f94058.png

Progress has been slow however since he is currently trying to finish a USRA 0-6-0 first but soon we will be working on this one a bit more when he finishes both that and another project before this one.

We plan on working together on some other steam engines so stay tuned.

Hello Everyone, Im still going thru a tough cold but I feel well enough to finally use my computer again so Im working on my route right now, I will have some progress shots up later this evening but I want to want to give a quick shot out to user "NarrowGauge" for making models of the "Chicago Tunnel Company" 2 foot electric railway underground equipment. I know he made these a couple of years ago long before I started this IRM route and they were for a project that he and PerRock were doing to create a route for this models to run on but the project was canceled due to complications. But still I'm glad he still made them because IRM has the only surviving equipment from one of Chicagos most hidden treasures.

They are currently on display in one of the trolley bus barns as they are shown here.
b9ec8c9c44aaf280d5950e60fdbb1ed0.png

78ef23ad9faf30c3fd530c80e31ecf2e.png

There are future plans to build a more proper display for them to shows them in a replica tunnel like structure but for now they will remain on display where they are.

Thanks I appreciate the support there Bluetorse4792. I sure am, there is a lot stuff to made but the nearly all of the museum main buildings have been made. All thats left for Blackdiamond1964 to make is the Diner(which he is currently working on), the Anderson Trolley Bus Garage, The Museum Office and Signal Department Building, The Building and Grounds Department Building, Barn 12, The IRM Museum Storage Building, and finally the Substation. The rest of the stuff he will do is trolley poles and other small things that Bendorsey cant do.

Bendorsey is mostly working on adding in the more smaller scenery details like tables, benches, access steps, signs, etc as well as being my bridge builder.

There are 3 more buildings to be made that are part of the museum but I'm still deciding on who should I pick between Bendorsey or BlackDiamond1964 to make them and they are the the future IRM Model Railroad Buildings (I have seen a drawing and 2 or 3 photos of a 3D model of the future building in a IRM newsletter), then the two IRM buildings located outside the museum which are the Pullman Library (Located in the town of Union IL) and the Strahorn Library (located in Marengo IL).

Im still currently debating on what local industry's I want modeled and what not to model such as shops along the main street of the 3 towns featured. The only thing that will be not be accurately done is the type of residential house I'm putting down because #1 it would be too difficult and too much of a workload to make a model of every residential house.

Last edited:
Taking a small break for now, Here are some shots of the progress I've made so far.

Adding in more foliage and more bits of scenery
def144c232e6984d7340eb1862f49718.png

c1d230f5351ee4e7a449ac7e9ea25594.png

baad7ed042fc0f9e998fd5fdf2936c7c.png

a85f4ce027266ba39b9d69aa093299dc.png

9d91d146bcb0b01f5de1ac2191c42570.png

e881a6425dbfb039cb33c192957126d1.png

8b5689d220a14e18675ea0fd8575ee6e.png

Who would had thought that researching a simple thing such as length of this stone and brick sign would be so easy? well I spent about over 3 months searching thru the internet looking for just that (and with the Help of Bendorsey constantly asking me the same question over and over again), and even asking museum volunteers if they knew the answer, nothing worked until I finally stuck gold and found the length of this sign that I ask him to make 3 months ago. Im so glad we can scratch this one off the list of things to do.
6052d226efa82491a88132af52240594.png

Big thank you goes to Bendorsey for keeping my head up on this one and for doing a fantastic job on this sign.

More progress coming tonight. Stay Tuned. :)

Last edited:
Matt

Slight correction

I know he made these a couple of years ago long before I started this IRM route and they were for a project that he and PerRock were doing to create a route for this models to run on but the project was canceled due to complications.

It was not PerRock, it was Hiballer. There weren't any complications, we had a complete working route covering the entire Chicago area including the tunnel under the river that later caused the Chicago flood. We left it because we finally realised that very few people would enjoy travelling through the tunnel system for hours. Still we had the satisfaction of completing the project with all it's challenges which included working rail car lifts.

It is still available if anyone is interested. PM me

PeterPM

Matt,

I have been to the IRM countless times, and thank you for making this for Trainz. But since I have been to it more times than I can remember, I know every single section of land and what they own. So you are making amazing progress. Cannot wait to see it finished!

Got a small bit of progress done today on the route (was working on the far eastern (current) end of the IRM mainline. mostly added in trees and bushes
7f672ab0debb6bd1bfedb719466dbaf0.png

Also I started work on this small rural airport that is outside the town of Huntley Illinois
be3d83b754d920708fda60ea6d543075.png

Last we got a new "IRM Project Member" today and that is "ns2616". He made this great reskin off of PWieser's UNDEC HH660 model into Milwaukee Road #1603. He is talking with PWieser to see if he will let him release the reskin. Credit goes to PWieser for the model and credit goes to "ns2616" for the reskin.
bd5303c99e7b8dc72870829d0e4cf44f.png

Thats all for today, stay tuned for tomorrow I will have more to show. :)

Last edited:
Progress looking great, BTW, that rural airport you made, can you post the kuid(s) for runway? I don't care for large mini, / city airports on my route but your's w/b perfect!

Thanks for update and sharing with us!

Approved!

(snip)

Last we got a new "IRM Project Member" today and that is "ns2616". He made this great reskin off of PWieser's UNDEC HH660 model into Milwaukee Road #1603. He is talking with PWieser to see if he will let him release the reskin. Credit goes to PWieser for the model and credit goes to "ns2616" for the reskin.
bd5303c99e7b8dc72870829d0e4cf44f.png

Thats all for today, stay tuned for tomorrow I will have more to show. :)

Sorry, have to unjam my PM mailbox again. @ns2616 is totally approved to release the reskin of the HH660: nice job!

Was at the Virginia Transportation Museum last week - visited with VGN EL-C 135 and their Jupiter missile. :D

Progress on the route will begin again tomorrow, today is my 25th birthday and I have to work a day shift for today so I will be a bit busy today.

First off, Matt, Happy Birthday. Second: What is this "work" you speak of? Yes, only a retired guy would ask. I work more now then when I was working, I just don't get paid for it.

Regards,

Last edited:
Congrats on all the well deserved Birthdays coming up, enjoy them to the fullest, from another retired Guy who spends some great quality time with his Grand Kids.

Back