Various assets for Powder River Basin route

rafterman717

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here. Been a Trainz user on Mac for two years now (Running Trainz 2) and have been using this forum for much of my route building needs. I've learned a lot from on here thus far but wanted to put some feelers out for links to some assists I can't seem to find while sifting through the thread archives.

So for about 8 months I've been chipping away at the BNSF Orin Subdivision in the Powder River Basin. I laid about 20 miles of track before I discovered a DEM map for the region. So I decided to start over from scratch as there were many things I wanted to changed anyways, like changing the type of track I was using to incorporate concrete ties.

Now I've got 18 miles of track re-laid with rough gradients applied (any tips on how to realistically apply gradients on DEM maps would be greatly appreciated). I'm going for as prototype as possible but a few things, of course, I can't seem to find out there. They are:

1. M-23 Switch Machine/Switch Heaters (This one has been difficult. I've found websites discussing it but cannot find a download link. Not sure if it's named weird on the DLS or just unavailable)
2. US MOW equipment
3. Better dirty snow textures or tips on how to create this effect
4. Modern bridges like the following two reference photos:
http://www.dewitzphotography.com/wp...ngton-Northern-Coal-Hoppers(pp_w940_h673).jpg
http://www.dewitzphotography.com/wp...Cars-Across-Haul-Truck-Road(pp_w940_h673).jpg
5. Red ballast/clay type textures like the following:
http://www.dewitzphotography.com/wp...Power-Sits-at-Guernsey-Yard(pp_w940_h673).jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much everyone.

Normally I'd jump right in and offer to make those bridges for you but tomorrow my computer is getting disconnected for a move to Tennessee and I will probably be unable to upload anything I make for 4 to 8 weeks.

If you can't find anything to substitute and are willing to wait - give me a shout when I get back on line.

Ben

On a DEM it might show a real up and down roller coaster of severe gradients, of +3.75%, and the next -4.75%.

On a several mile long straight track, I put two end spline point, then using the ruler I divide it into halves, quarters ... etc ...

I partially sink all the spline points, and measure each grade, writing them down on paper.

if you have 5 different gradients, add the numerals up, and divide by 5, and that will give you an average gradient (a ballpark guestimate). You might spend several days grading a 5 mile long section of several curves and straights, tugging up and down on spline points until it seems right

I leave track partially sunk, and do not press the smooth spline tool till many months down the road, or until I get many curves and straights looking fairly close ... never use a gradients over 2.75% as most modern RR's are not nearly that steep

Last edited:
Concerning the bridges. Check out any thing by wawasoo (kuid:430547) Excellent bridge work and supports. Also bridges by maddy25 (kuid:124017) and streadway (kuid:506208). Don't forget they're bridge supports.

bendorsey- I'll check out some of the other sources recommended from stouthm. If I don't find anything suitable I'll PM you to discuss more. I don't mind waiting though. I can put temp bridges in while I lay track and work on gradients. I do enjoy your bridges. I'm using them on a St. Croix Sub route I've always been working on. Thank you for the offer!

casecaderailroad- I appreciate the tips on the gradients. I definitely need to rework much of the grades so far. I had a hunch id have to measure distances and adjust the height according to a certain formula per-say. Just wasn't sure a good way to do it nor what my realistic cap should be to stay in line with modern RR's. Thank you!

stouthm- Thank you for the bridge suggestions. I'll check them out this weekend!

RacerTodd- Thank you for the M-23 switch links! Huge help.

Last edited:
Back