Video capture tool?

Morten16c

Hi Guys,

Which video capture tool can you recommend for capturing a session video for later upload to YouTube?

Will appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.

free Fraps gives up to 30 second videos, with a Fraps name watermark
free Bandicam does nicely
MS MovieMaker does good editing

Most people follow along, pacing a train in a Trainz whirlybird, trackingview ... Very unprototypical !

Others set up right at a RR crossing with overly loud clanging bells, and sound system blowing out, horns ... better to set up 500' distant, or several hundred feet distant the tracks.

Use many hundreds of of 5-8 second long edited movie segments, all merged together ... as any longer than 10 seconds loses the viewers attention span !

Others have a 2 minute long view of a train coming down a straight tangent of track ... how long winded and totally boring !

Use trackside rotating cameras to catch the action

Last edited:
All of the open projects on the Blender Open Projects page were completely made with Blender, including meshes and scenes, animation, and video compositing and editing. I don't think it's possible to use Blender to record video clips in Trianz, but if you have the video clips, Blender certainly seems to have the capability to do the video editing, though as far as I know, anyone who attempts to get this working would be breaking new ground where no Trainzer—including me—has gone before.

ns

I have the paid version of FRAPS, which I use for my gaming-related YouTube videos. I have found it to be a satisfactory programme. Bandicam also has its merits, though FRAPS did win favour with me.

Kieran.

If you want to get deeper into videos I would look into more substantial programs. Videos are great for recording family, vacations, gaming, creative tutes, facebook, Utube, and etc.
I have Camtasia v.8. Probably the easiest and most intuitive video program on the market. It's a full video editor and screen recording program, with lots of goodies; callouts, animations, transitions, and canned music. It will record up to 1080p. It also has green screen capabilities for adding special effects. The thread above, by mjolnir touches on using Blender as an editing tool. Creating animated models, animals, cartoon characters, and the like within Blender, and adding a solid green background to it, opens a host of possibilities for adding humorous and colorful effects to a video. I can picture in my head a fine Trainz video with Snoopy in his biplane chasing a doggy bone laden freght down the mainline.........................
Food for thought!

If you have an nVidia card then shadowplay puts the least impact on your system.

Cheerio John

Hi John,

Is there a trick to get Shadowplay recognize TANE? I tried several times, but it seems not (yet) a game that's supported.

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Hi John,

Is there a trick to get Shadowplay recognize TANE? I tried several times, but it seems not (yet) a game that's supported.

Jan

I must confess I haven't used it yet. I did read somewhere that it only does full screen.

Cheerio John

If you're using Windows 10, there is the video capture tool built right in. Use Windows-key+G to enable it.

I haven' tried it but it might be worth looking into.

If it detects you are not "running a game" it will ask you if you are and you check a box to enable it.

If you're using Windows 10, there is the video capture tool built right in. Use Windows-key+G to enable it.

I haven' tried it but it might be worth looking into.

If it detects you are not "running a game" it will ask you if you are and you check a box to enable it.

It's not bad. I don't think it records microphone input as well, but I haven't played with it too much. It seems to be pretty versatile and even records 2D games that I could not record before, like Locomotion. It might replace FRAPS on my system. :eek:

Kieran.

It's not bad. I don't think it records microphone input as well, but I haven't played with it too much. It seems to be pretty versatile and even records 2D games that I could not record before, like Locomotion. It might replace FRAPS on my system. :eek:

Kieran.

Cool! I'll have to test it one of these days.

John

Hi all. I have just run an experiment with ShadowPlay and it is really good. It is no good asking it to scan for games as it will not find Trainz/T:ANE in any format. It will find every pointless "shoot everything that moves" type of game though. What you have to do is tick the box under the monitor in settings for "desktop". As long as you run Trainz in full screen then it will record. There is the option for microphone as well. You will get the small icon in the corner (greyed out when turned off) and it will go green when you start recording. There is an option to show this in any of the 4 corners of the screen. It is not visible in the recorded video. There is the option for automatic recording or manual. At the point where you want to start recording then press control-F9. Do the same again to stop recording. Default recording time is 10 minutes and a max of 20 mins.

I was running this while I was going around my route in surveyor. After 20 mins it will automatically start recording another 20 mins worth as a separate file.. and so on until you tell it to stop. 20 minutes of video at the highest quality rate gives a file size of 3.80 gb. What you see on the screen when running trains is what you get on your recording including picture quality. Files are saved as MP4. It is a winner for me and I can edit it with transitions and so on in Pinnacle later.

Having run the experiment then I thought I would share it with you all. One question though. How do I turn off the side menu when recording (and maybe things like point levers) so they are not visible. I have hunted through the manual and cannot find anything (must try harder) .

Regards

Doug

I believe it's always been the 'h' or 'g' key on the keyboard to turn those switch arrows on or off Doug. I presume it'll be the same for TANE. ;)

Thanks for the tip to let Shadowplay monitor the desktop, that option I seem to have missed somehow. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Jan

Hi Brian and Jan. I finally twigged it and F5 does clear the window of everything around the edge when I was driving a session. It is also Ctrl+H to turn off the junction arrows. Get there in the end I suppose.....
Doug

Back