TANE just doesn't make sense

PerRock

Moderator - Read the CoC!
So I have a (few) route(s) that I've imported to TANE from TS12. The routes are fine & working in TS12. However in TANE they have huge holes in the baseboard scattered around. I've been told this is what TANE does when a ground texture is broken or missing. I can fix those issues; close out the route I had open that had the holes (all the way to the launcher) opened up CM, found the missing textures, fixed a few, etc. Now acording to TANE CM I am not missing an assets and all the ground textures are error-free.

Launch TANE, load up route.

And now all the ground is missing. Not a single ground texture is showing, no grid, no nothing. Just stuff floating in the abyss.

How the hell did this get worse? I fixed the blasted issue it should have gotten better. This makes Zero sense!

peter

On a side note WTF does the Green & Pink checkers showing up all over the place mean?

TANE does not support direct import of some bits from other versions of trainz because it does not allow committing of *.texture files. Unfortunately the assets will be added but will not work.

So ground textures are missing and splines etc are rendered as the chequer pattern.

Use my Images2TGA program to convert the *.texture files to TGAs with *.texture.txt files in the other version before transferring them. Tedious.. yes but the result works in the end.

So far I have copied 3 routes to TANE from TS12 and they work really well. The main issues for me were the upgraded SpeedTrees that had to be replaced with the later ones.

TANE does not support direct import of some bits from other versions of trainz because it does not allow committing of *.texture files. Unfortunately the assets will be added but will not work.

So ground textures are missing and splines etc are rendered as the chequer pattern.

Use my Images2TGA program to convert the *.texture files to TGAs with *.texture.txt files in the other version before transferring them. Tedious.. yes but the result works in the end.

So far I have copied 3 routes to TANE from TS12 and they work really well. The main issues for me were the upgraded SpeedTrees that had to be replaced with the later ones.

But that's the thing I had some ground textures working. Then used your tool to fix the ones that weren't working, and it got worse.

peter

That sounds like config errors where it is referencing the xyz.TGA when it should be xyz.texture with a corresponding texture.txt.

Hi Pev,
would it be possible to give a step by step demo of how you do the texture repair?
I have used your tools over the years and managed to get most assets working ok. But with T ane I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start.
Makes me feel a bit like a newbie when I found 1.3 in a bargain bin.
I have been able to get some assets working by removing offending parts, but this is not really satisfactory.
Cheers,
Mike

That sounds like config errors where it is referencing the xyz.TGA when it should be xyz.texture with a corresponding texture.txt.

If I recall correctly, the ground textures throw an error for this and the problem become obvious and then is easily fixed.

If I recall correctly, the ground textures throw an error for this and the problem become obvious and then is easily fixed.
In my experience the textures don't show an error.

Sometimes the "built-ins" will also show the green/white checkerboard and not show an error. Open those for edit and revert usually returns them to normal.

Just have to go thru each texture and change to a .tga.

Takes quite a bit of work to go from this:

donner-tane.jpg

to:

donner-tane2.jpg

Helps to have TS12 with the route to find the textures

Harold

Last edited:
But all this doesn't answer really the crux of my problem, which is: "Why did it get worse?"

peter

Back