Help! Trainz railway simulator 2006 won't start.

ChrisA95

Installation went well and the diagnostic tool came up all positives but for some reason when I get onto the menu and click start, it just closes the menu with no game starting. Also I get an 'installation could not be found' error when trying to open content manager. I've tried reinstalling like 6-7 times now with no luck.

Do you have DirectX9 installed ?

Did you click "Yes" to all questions posed in the installation ?

Did you temporarily turn off you antivirus firewall, during the installation (remember to turn it back on afterwards)

Click on the TRS2006 desktop Icon, and tick the box in Advanced/Properties/ "Run As Administrator", save/apply

Did you register the game at Planet Auran ?

You can make "Allowable Program Exception Rules" in your antivirus (Always Allow) for TRS2006.exe, and TRS2006/bin/CMP.exe

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and yes to all the things you suggested, even with "run as admin" and the compatability mode, the menu appears but when you click start the game doesn't launch - it just closes the menu. I have Windows 7 64-bit if that helps and the diagnostic tool shows no problems.

Your game needs to be registered at Planet Auran ... if it can not be registered, it will not play

In Start/Options you need to enter your UN & PW

You may have to run CM first, and let the TAD re-build

R Click "Run As Administrator"

Is the TRS2006 folder located in C/Program/Files ?

Last edited:
If you downloaded it illegally and installed it while connected to the internet Trainz will not start. Not sure if this is the case with 06 but sure was from 09 and up.

Your game needs to be registered at Planet Auran ... if it can not be registered, it will not play

In Start/Options you need to enter your UN & PW

You may have to run CM first, and let the TAD re-build

R Click "Run As Administrator"

Is the TRS2006 folder located in C/Program/Files ?

The game has been registered, according to Windows task manager, CM does seem to start but there is no window opening, and it is only there for 5-10 seconds before closing again. I have used "Run as Admin" and compatability mode but no luck and the folder is located in Program Files (x86). I tried reinstalling the game, deleting the assests file and opening CM but that doesn't work.

If you downloaded it illegally and installed it while connected to the internet Trainz will not start. Not sure if this is the case with 06 but sure was from 09 and up.

I did not download it illegally and both internet, anti-virus and firewall were off during installation.

What username is it registered to because your profile is not showing it registered to you.

Just to make sure I have done it correctly. To register you need to go to go auran.com, create an account and then click on Serial number on the column on left. Then enter your serial number, is that correct? If that is correct then it should be registered to this account.

As 04 & 06 are unsupported, you need to buy a FTC, or a higher build of Trainz, in order to be able to download from the DLS

You will find that you will constantly need to edit almost all assets, and backdate the trainz-build tag lines, in almost all config files, as they won't run in 04, 06

Last edited:
If you go to "My Trainz" using the link at the top of the page, then to "Serial Numbers" is it showing up under Registered Serial Numbers? If not, you may want to put in a Help Desk Ticket.

LaurieTruck652 - You have resurrected a very old post. Exactly what fix are you looking for? What Build Number? What is the precise nature of the problem?
We are keen to help, but you need to be more specific...

When i launch Trainz Railway Simulator 2006 Just Trains version, when i click the start button it closes the launcher but doesn't start the game. I tried launching it via content manager plus but no luck. It's also running as administrator. Do you know what i can do?

That version of Trainz requires registration on the N3V servers. Go to your MyTrainz page (link above on the forum menu bar) sign in and then add the serial number for Trainz Railway Simulator 2006 Just Trains to the account.
You have already registered the iPad, T:ANE and TRS19 versions. You'll need to do that for the 2006 version as well to be able to run it.

Back