The Japanese DLC - An Observation (Or Two)

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Received the mailshot regarding the "JPN Tokyo 08 Metro". Just a word of caution for those thinking of buying this, despite the publicity picture showing the train against a Japanese looking route background, so far as I can see the DLC is for the train only - there is no route included. I do of course stand ready to be corrected on that if wrong.

Which rather begs the question of why offer for sale an item of rolling stock for which no suitable route exists in any of the TANE retail editions. I like Japanese stuff having been a huge fan of Densha de Go all those years ago, but it seems a bit pointless asking people to buy a very specific item of rolling stock, for which no route exists.

Could I respectfully suggest that the advertising needs to make clear the pictures are for illustrative purposes only and that the route isn't included.

Description seems clear enough:

"Details

Tokyo Metro Series 08 is an EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) operated by Tokyo Metro on the Hanzomon Line in Tokyo, Japan. Introduced into service on 1 July 2003, this train have 4 doors per side, Cars 2 and 8 each have two single-arm pantographs, and car 5 is fitted with one. and the gauge of this train is 1,067mm (3 ft 6 in). This trainset consisting of 10 cars each were manufactured by Nippon Sharyo.

Features Includes:

• Drivable cabin
  • Animated doors
  • Complete sound effect
  • Reflective texture effect
  • L.O.D system

Please Note: To use this locomotive in Trainz, you can locate it in Surveyor under the Train Tab or Consist Tab by searching for the text "JPN". "

Yes I read that after almost being enticed by the picture, figured for AUS$14.98 a route and train pack too good to be true. Nevertheless I stand by my opinion that the first impression from the mailshot and the initial splash screen on Mytrainz gives the impression it's more than it is. A bit like those old Triang catalogues which showed a streamline LMS Coronation blasting north through a Midlands landscape, when the reality was a bit different.

All I'm suggesting is that maybe N3V put a small disclaimer on the footer of the photograph "Route Not Included" or "Route Shown For Illustrative Purposes Only" to avoid suckering the incautious into buying something they're not actually getting. This by the way is no criticism of the model which looks very nice, but as I say the market for Japanese Trainz stuff (TANE is no Densha de Go) must be quite small and when you factor there's no route to run it on, quite miniscule.

I think the screenshot was taken on Andi's Yamanote Line (the creator of Tokyo Metro 08) which he will likely release in the future as payware route either on his site or official dlc but he knows more about that.

I also intend to soon (very likely this year) release my Modeltrainz Japan route on dls which thought is only 4 baseboards they have both standard and 1067mm lines, it's for ts12 but I think I can also make it work for tane.
Pagroove also made an large map (Electro Island) which have 1067mm lines, he also is making his route TANE useable in the future according to his posts.

Dear all I'm the creator of the JPN Tokyo Metro 08, my name is Andi, I want to clarify that the route shown in the picture will be available very soon.

Dear all I'm the creator of the JPN Tokyo Metro 08, my name is Andi, I want to clarify that the route shown in the picture will be available very soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new route. I've just downloaded your JPN Tokyo Metro 08. I've tested it out and it works beautifully. Thank you very much.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

I attempted to recreate the Nikko line 2 months ago. It's nowhere to being completed since the route itself is difficult and there aren't any objects on the auran download station related to the buildings and scenery I saw along the Nikko line. The only thing made was the Niko Station and a little bit of tracks. It hasn't made any progress lately because I'm merging a Shinkansen line that shouldn't be running slow consists. :hehe:
300px-JRE107NikkoLineNewColor.jpg

but the closest I can get to this locomotive is Andi's JR Kiha 141 :p (and it looks sweet to!)
VJLFXdk.jpg

(image and route isn't mine. Wanted to show an example.)

Firstly good news about the JPN Metro route. Assuming the hotfix and patch bring TANE up to the stage where I consider it worth spending money on DLC, I might give it a spin.

As regards Japanese routes in general, there are quite a few assets on the DLS if you look carefully. Some of the Chinese items can also be used, with a bit of care. There are two main challenges building Japanese routes, at least so far as I found on my aborted attempts. The first is getting that really packed in tight urban feel for towns and cities, dwellings and buildings really are squeezed close together to maximise available space. The second is the many and frequent tunnels - combine that with the logistical challenge of actually doing tunnels in Trainz (which hasn't really changed in TANE) and the workload can get a bit too much. So kudos to those who do manage to get something released!

Back