Why Can't I get more then 1 or 2 fps With TANE

I Have a AMD FX (tm)-6100 CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6570 Card With 2 GB, 16 GB RAM on Windows 10 and I Can Only Get 1 or 2 FPS With shadows on low? Trainz 12 runs great at 30 to 40 fps.

Shadows is a known frame rate killer with T:ANE. Hopefully one of the upcoming patches will help reduce it's effect.

Shane

Well there you have it; TANE is basically TS12 with (bad) shadows. Don't have any suggestions for you except either blow 10 grand on a new rig or stick with older versions like some have been doing.

Trainz has always pushed hard on video hardware and the drivers that control it. The new T:ANE engine that runs the program is no different. Yesterday's superior hardware is today's ordinary and tomorrow's bare minimum. Without cutting edge hardware, expecting cutting edge performance is not going to happen. Those that do have top of the line GPUs are reporting smooth running. The rest of us will just have to putter along with the performance settings turned down a bit until we upgrade.

Trainz has always pushed hard on video hardware and the drivers that control it. The new T:ANE engine that runs the program is no different. Yesterday's superior hardware is today's ordinary and tomorrow's bare minimum. Without cutting edge hardware, expecting cutting edge performance is not going to happen. Those that do have top of the line GPUs are reporting smooth running. The rest of us will just have to putter along with the performance settings turned down a bit until we upgrade.

but there is little trade off. There is no reasonably convincing argument that Trainz should cause such a strain on modern hardware let alone hardware from 2005. It barely outputs anything to the screen that warrants that...

It is pretty much how to tax your hardware and get no results. Yes the latest cutting edge hardware can swing it and allow you to play smoothly, but more or less only because it is as powerful as cutting edge hardware is. In any case the overall result is the same - poor graphics.

if you can run tane with no shadows at 60fps (cap) as i can with everything else on, then turn on the finnicky shadow shader and get 10 or less fps that should point to a problem right there.

Last edited:
Well there you have it; TANE is basically TS12 with (bad) shadows. Don't have any suggestions for you except either blow 10 grand on a new rig or stick with older versions like some have been doing.

I only have five grand what can I do?

Luv Karen

I have a six core cpu Running at 3.3 gh. What video card do I need? I have a full size tower and a motherboard that can take almost all cards. I have 16gb ram and 1tb hardrive. I don't know if it will hold a GTX980Ti but I will find out.

I have a six core cpu Running at 3.3 gh. What video card do I need? I have a full size tower and a motherboard that can take almost all cards. I have 16gb ram and 1tb hardrive. I don't know if it will hold a GTX980Ti but I will find out.

Joe,

The biggest thing you'll face perhaps is the power supply. Ensure you have one, or get one if you have to, that more than exceeds the minimum requirements for the video card. This will allow for extra expansion or updates including additional hard drives and even RAM, and still work with your current investment.

Overall, I will say that ATI (AMD) has always been a poor player with Trainz, any version, for that matter. I don't know why, but it's always been this way. Perhaps it has to do with the availability of SDKs from NVidia as opposed to AMD. I don't know as I am not a programmer.

John

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Check your power supply, I suggest 550 watts named power supply minimum, a 980 works fine, I quite like the ASUS line they seem to be slightly more efficient than the reference design. Some people are happy with a 970, and the next sarvice pack is supposed to improve things. Watch the length of the card, the 980s are long cards and only seem to fit cases that do not have hard drives at the same height as the video cards. An Antec Sonnata case for example will not fit them but a p280 case will.

There are some off lease Dell refurbished workstations around currently, the T5500 has a xeon processor and ECC memory, get a quad core at least, a 5550 is roughly the same as a low end i7 which means you get the hyperthreading you don't get on the AMD chips. They come with a 875 watt power supply, and plenty of room for a 980 video card. You want one with Win 7, they upgrade to win 10 easily, see if you can get one with 16 gigs of memory otherwise Crucial sell memory to fit.

One source is here: http://www.serverworlds.com/refurbished-precision-t5500-configured-to-order-scratch-and-dent/ but google will find you others.

It might be simpler to buy the refurbished Dell than upgrade your power supply and case.

Cheerio John

Can a card that Ask for a PCI express 3.0 16 work in a PCIe 2.0 ? Or will i have to upgrade my mother board ?

A PCI3 card will work fine in a PCI2 motherboard, I'm running a GTX 980 in a PCI 2 motherboard. You might get another half frame per second if they were both PCI3 but it doesn't seem to be a bottle neck.

Cheerio John

Back