Where do you store all your locomotives and consists ?

Since my route is mostly used for iPortal. Once a train is built of out bound cars, its sent to another player. However, I do have a separate route with iPortals on it that I use as a staging yard to bring in fresh trains as need be. Very useful way of doing it.

I will try that "Emit Train Now" rule ... never tried it before.

I wonder how many "New Consists" can be made ? Is there a limit ?

If you made several hundred "New Consists" would it cause Trainz to lag ?

I have always wanted a huge staging yard to store all my thousands of railcars and hundreds of locos ... I seems that whatever you do, the framerates go to single digits when thousands of locos and railcars are placed

Especially if you have dozens of perpendicular tracks in a yard, and start adding locos and consists ... even a crowded turntable roundhouse can bring framerates to a crawl

I tried placing backdrops and mountains in between perpendicular yard tracks, but Trainz can still see right through those blockages, and feel the framerates on the hidden locos, just as if they were in plain sight

I think I have settled on a staging yard route that is just a row of never ending single baseboards, that has 2 perpendicular tracks ... one track is always empty, and is an escapement runaround for locos parked on the other storage track ... sort of like a huge 2 tracked siding, with crossovers every 50m

As Trainz can still feel a loco that is a few meters in opposite directions of a parked loco, the framerates will still be lower, until the locos in front, and in back, are moved further out of sight

====/========\==========\=========\==========\==========\=========\======
===/==<WOOO ==\==<WOOO ==\==<WOOO ==\==<WOOO ==\==<WOOO ==\==<WOOO ==\======

It is still unknown how the framerates would be if the 2 tracked escapement runaround route was a hundred miles long, and contained hundreds of 1 mile long consists, and thousands of locos on storage tracks ?

Could Trainz cope with a route that had all of your locos and railcars placed on it ? Or would Trainz crash ?

Last edited:
No yard facility would be that jam packed and your example is a bit absurd with hundreds of 1 mile consists. There would never be such a thing in real life even during the recession when hopper cars, tanks, well cars, and other kinds were mothballed on various sidings. Yards can be busy, but most railroads don't like full yards because that means freight isn't being moved around the system efficiently, however, having the additional tracks allows for traffic upswings which require the additional capacity.

T:ANE doesn't have as much of a problem with large yards as TS12 and below. Keep in mind much of the stutter too is due to poor LOD implementation which will cause the stutters as the content is drawn in full in the scene rather than reduced to a few squares and pixels. There are some game engine and content improvements which are happening that will help with this.

Program performance with large quantities of content is also caused by the scripts and the need to track the various consists. This has been solved in some content by adding a script to the freight cars which turn off the active status of the consists. Jointed Rail, Sniper297, Dave Snow and a few others have implemented this script in their content. Once a locomotive is attached to the consist, it becomes active again and is tracked by the program.

There are future plans to turn off this tracking and reduce it only to content which is within view. You can read about this activity in the Trainz Dev forum. This is very much a long way off and again is all bubbly bottles of red and blue soda in the testing stages.

As far as needing to store tons of content on a route, this really isn't necessary anymore. T:ANE now has the ability to add consists on the fly within Driver simply by clicking on the consists pull out which is the same as the one in Surveyor. Once a consist is added and the window is closed, it is ready to use. If an engine is added, a new driver is added automatically.

Absurd as it would be, to have hundreds of 1 mile long consists, and thousands of railcars, and hundreds of locos, spread out all over creation ... It is interesting to find out exactly what Trainz see's, and what the framerates would be, and just how many railcars and locos Trainz could handle as a maximum ... before crashing

Absurd as it would be, to have hundreds of 1 mile long consists, and thousands of railcars, and hundreds of locos, spread out all over creation ... It is interesting to find out exactly what Trainz see's, and what the framerates would be, and just how many railcars and locos Trainz could handle as a maximum ... before crashing

Start installing and download, and building.

I would like to see how it performs too. :)

I figured out that I might have 260 Payware locomotives & railcars from N3V, K&L, and JR ... I might buy the N&W J at the end of this month ... but I think I have more than enough stuff, that I can possibly run in my entire lifetime ... I think I have 553 locomotives & railcars installed, and 27 consists in my CM

My main RR's I have in my collection are eastern and southern roads, ie: PRR, NYC, RDG, CSX, NS, CR, N&W, C&O, B&O, SOU ... Although I do have every paint scheme "Heritage" loco, and some Western and Canadian locos, that I bought on a 75% -50% off super dooooper sale ... I went completely hog wild when some locos were $1.88 - $3.75

I tried iPortals, and considered that if a second person in the room (or online) on a separate PC, were to send consists from their route(s) on their PC ... to my route on my own PC (like a dispatcher), that might work

I considered building a staging yard route, and cloning it, and renaming each cloned route with a different name ... ie: "iPortal China" where I keep all my Chinese locomotives & rolling stock ... and "iPortal PRR", where I keep all my PRR locomotives & rolling stock ... etc ... etc ... I would eventually have @ 20 similar cloned route versions, all name differently ... The problem with that is that naming all the iPortals, and individually configuring each and every iPortal, on the many routes would be really meticulous, and time consuming

I considered building just one Staging Yard route, and storing each and every one of my 260 Payware locomotives & railcars, 553 locomotives & railcars installed, and 27 consists, as well as storing dozens and dozens of 1 mile long custom assembled consists, all with @ 300 drivers pre-installed in each consist, all ready to be selected, and run onto the route, via a distant tunnel entrance/exit

The problem is the huge number of drivers needed, I presume you can place many multiple duplicates of example: "Adair" ? ? ?

I have also considered just using plain Portals, or hidden underground subway tunnels, where trains are emitted/consumed

The overall problem is framerates, and route lockup ... on account of placing 300 consists, and hundreds of railcars, on one single route ... what can Trainz handle, before framerates become ridiculously stalled ? ? ? ... And what can a PC handle in Trainz, before locking up ? ? ?

On the other hand ... I could just assemble a never ending list of @ 300 "New Consists", and store them in my "Consists" surveyor picklist ... the drawback there would be that you have to exit the Game constantly, in order to place a "New Consist" on your outbound "Ready Track" :confused:

Last edited:
Why not just save the consist and drag them out from the menu on the right of the screen? Or use portals and triggers to release them when needed? You could use a turntable with a single loco and triggers on each road. Basically use it like a rotary switch. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already made an asset like this.

In TRS2006 you can not drag a consist out of a menu list, while you are in "Driver" mode, I'd be surprised if you can even do this in 09, 10, 12 or T:ANE ... please relate more on this

iPortal's, Portals, and Triggers require meticulous configuration, and complex naming ... and when you Save a Session the configuration and names are lost, erased back to default configuration setting

Seems I am back to this, with no iPortals, nor Portals ... just hidden subway tunnels emitting and consuming trains

110430WestStaging.jpg

WFJ120401.jpg

Last edited:
You can in TANE - not just consists but individual items as well. You have complete freedom.

Are people still running anything earlier than TS12? I wouldnt think there'd be much point in TS06 any more. Is there a reason you're trying to cater so far back?

Because anything over 06, tends to lose hours, and years of work, when your route just varnish's into cyberspace

I will run my route in 09, 10, 12, T:ANE, and TS19 ... But I will never edit my route using 09, 10, 12, T:ANE, and TS19

Because anything over 06, tends to lose hours, and years of work, when your route just varnish's into cyberspace

Sounds more like hardware issues than software. I've never experienced this. The only time in about 15 years of Trainz that I've ever lost anything was when hardware failed and fried my drives.

Perhaps you're trying to use more memory than your PC is capable of and corrupting data?

My route is 1.09GB .. lol
<<< this is a massive problem. How much of that is your route, and how much of it is session consists that become dependencies?

In TRS2006 you can not drag a consist out of a menu list, while you are in "Driver" mode, I'd be surprised if you can even do this in 09, 10, 12 or T:ANE ... please relate more on this

The QuickDrive tool that appears on the right of the screen in TANE, TRS19 (and I think TS12 as well but I do not remember) allows you to add consists "on the fly". In TRS19 you can also add individual wagons "on the fly" as well.

... I will never edit my route using 09, 10, 12, T:ANE, and TS19

Apart from a few cases with the early betas in TANE, I have never had a route vanish into cyberspace. In any case that can apply to any software package at anytime - it is the painful way that I learned to create backups many years before Trainz arrived.

Last edited:
I think I have answered my own question: As to: "Where do you store all your locomotives and consists"

I have a low quality PC, and that helps diagnose the problem … as when I place 10, one mile long consists, the framerates progressively drop from 21 fps, all the way down to 13 fps, after each 1 mile long consist is laid down

So to have one route called: "All My Loco's and Railcars" having hundreds, if not thousands of loco's, railcars, and consists … the strain on the PC would be tremendous, having single framerates, or 0.3 fps, if not having the PC locked up completely

So a series of several separate iPortal staging yard routes, ie: "ALCO Land", "AeroTrain Land", "K&L Land", "JR Land", "RR Mods Land" … etc … etc … would be more framerate friendly … As with using iPortal's, you can send consists to a separate route on your PC, and they come popping out of that iPortal

I found that simply having all 4325 RGCX railcars downloaded into my game, locked up my entire PC performance … and if I placed all of his 4325 railcars on one train, having a long 41 mile long consist on my route, it crashed my PC

My question now is: Do "iPortals" still work in TS12, T:ANE, and TS19

Last edited:
I had these thought at one time trying to place engines as listed at each Loco Shed.
I suddenly became aware when implementing NER Passenger Engine Working with respective Carriage Roster that engine stored in a loco shed were not earning revenue.
So I only placed a loco at a shed as required for each Engine/Carriage schedule, then moved it to where the Carriages departed from.
I assume that engines when necessary returned at the end of a shift, which for drivers was 10 or 12 hours, to their respective Loco Sheds.
In this case unless one wanted to stay up all night and observe them being serviced then there appeared to be no reason to have them return.
Up until now, and I have yet to fully implement the rosters, there is no need to place more engines at Loco Sheds than are needed for the days work.
I believe that I do not have enough life left in me, currently 80 years old, to complete a full weeks schedule, so I am not going to worry about the engines returning to their respective Loco Sheds.
Even when I have completed the days passenger schedule I still have;_
- Goods traffic to add, have some movements already implemented
- Mineral traffic to add, this being the largest income earner for the NER.
- Tidy up my route with the data contained in the NER Line Diagram Booklets. This is a monstrous task as I have determined on one leg of my route.
- Correct and implement correct signaling types and locations.
I could list for ever the things to be added and completed.
I do not drive any other built in routes other that to to determine how others have overcome a task.
All my consists are driven employing the A1 driver.
Enough for now.

Back